Smartphones

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You people say this but it's not unheard of for the FBI to break into people's homes and monitor everything they do for suspected activity. We had a guest speaker come to our high school that at one point pre 9/11 had the largest FBI file there was. He never did anything. He ended up suing and it finally put to rest 2+ decades of harassment.
I know that kind of thing can happen, but I'm not going to put any effort into worrying about it.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
If you have a Nexus 6, 5X, or 6P you can use Google Fi, which is $20/month + $10/GB of data and you'll get credited for data you didn't use. Straight Talk is $45/month for up to 5GB of data before you start getting throttled. Their cheaper plan is $30, but you only get 100MB of data.

I'm using Straight Talk right now and am fairly happy with it, but once the new Nexus devices come out I may pick one up and give Fi a shot.
how is it? i saw that for 45$ you get 5 gigs at 2g speeds... and for metro you pay 50$ for 5 gigs of 4g.

and its an iphone 5 =/ so i cant do the google

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
With Straight Talk you get 5GB at full 4G speed, then they throttle you into oblivion. Never went over the limit even when it used to be 3GB of data before throttling. I've been pretty happy with it, as my only issues are from how shitty coverage can be in upstate NY.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
With Straight Talk you get 5GB at full 4G speed, then they throttle you into oblivion. Never went over the limit even when it used to be 3GB of data before throttling. I've been pretty happy with it, as my only issues are from how shitty coverage can be in upstate NY.
hmmm weird it says 2g on their website, unless im reading that wrong?Service Plan Tabs

that barely makes any sense, the 55$ plan is 10gigs, anything after that is just 5gigs? the fuck?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Straight Talk_sl said:
First 5GB Data at High Speeds then 2G*
You're reading it wrong.

The 10GB plan is new and is essentially Straight Talk saying that if you need more than 5GB of data you can pay us $10 more a month for another 5GB. The rest of the plans are based off the $45 5GB plan. $60 if you need international calling, and the more expensive plans are just offering a small discount on the $45 plan if you buy it 3, 6 or 12 months at a time.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's a TMobile plan you can get through Walmart that's just 30 bucks for 5gb of 4g data and unlimited messaging, but only 100 minutes talk time. It took a bit of finagling on the phone to get it activated on my account because I bought a new LG V10 last November at the TMobile store and had activated some ~$60 plan through them, and from what I was told on the phone, the Walmart plan is only for new phones. I kinda hemmed and hawed and 'argued' a bit (played dumb), got transferred once or twice, and eventually they enabled the plan on my account. Now I just pay 30 bucks (plus like 2.50 in tax) directly through the TMobile site each month and everything works fine.

This is it if you wanna give it a try:(Email Delivery) New T-Mobile Monthly4G $30 Unlimited Web Text with 100 min of talk - Walmart.com

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Bit on a 6p during the Prime sale, couldn't pass it up. So long Droid Turbo.

Marlin specs will be updated to 6" and forward firing speakers in 3... .2...

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Pulled the trigger on the 6P also, scored the 128 gig version for about 500 after tax. I'm not sure I'll need all the space but I know I filled my S6 32 gig quick with FLACs and dick pics.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I grabbed a 64GB 6P. Hard to beat for $403. I'm moving over to Project Fi at the end of the month and was hoping a deal would come around!

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
If anyone else is still interested in the 6p, you can get it for sale from Google directly with a discount if you plan on activating Google Fi. I don't have a need for additional storage so I went with the 32 gig 6P for $350. Phone can be payed for in payments over 24 months too with 0 interest.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If anyone else is still interested in the 6p, you can get it for sale from Google directly with a discount if you plan on activating Google Fi. I don't have a need for additional storage so I went with the 32 gig 6P for $350. Phone can be payed for in payments over 24 months too with 0 interest.
edit - Bah nevermind, I'm dumb

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, if you want a "budget" phone without going down to shit tier like the Moto G, what are your options? So far, there's the Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P when on sale, OnePlus 3, maybe Moto X Pure(seems dated at this point though), and whatever the Nexus 5X's successor is. Did I miss anything?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Right now they have the 16GB Nexus 5X for $199, and able to be split across 24 months, so only like $8 an change per month added to your bill. Pretty reasonable for a decent phone.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, if you want a "budget" phone without going down to shit tier like the Moto G, what are your options? So far, there's the Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P when on sale, OnePlus 3, maybe Moto X Pure(seems dated at this point though), and whatever the Nexus 5X's successor is. Did I miss anything?
Chinese shit. Xiaomi makes quality phones stupid cheap. If you can find them that work with your network. The Xiaomi Redmi 3 and 3 pro are ~$150 and packed with good shit. 5". If you want a bigger phone their Redmi Note 3 released early this year and is 5.5". Pretty much every review of these flagship phones from them is "Holy shit the quality/power for the price is insane. Camera could be a little better." Biggest problem is customer support since you're buying a phone straight from China, over the internet only. If you have a problem good luck getting decent customer service.

When the next version of their 5.5" hits I'll probably jump on that. I don'tneeda new phone, my OPO works fine still and I do fuckall with it that needs more power. But a sub $200 phablet with good specs is tough to pass up.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I grabbed a 64GB 6P. Hard to beat for $403. I'm moving over to Project Fi at the end of the month and was hoping a deal would come around!
Im on project FI and was waiting for a deal like this too. I snagged a 64gb charcoal 6p for $403 as well. Should arrive tomorrow!

Jovec

?
It appears the Google/Android just updated all of my apps last night without permission. Some 14 apps (both Google and non-Google) that had new permissions didn't update and were waiting at a prompt, but about 50+ others updated anyway, even some that I know had new permissions (like the Google Now).

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Got an LG G2 using freedompop. Love freedompop as I pay zero a month, but the LG G2's GPS is totally fucked. I tried the fixes on the net but it hasn't done shit.

Thinking of taking my wife's Nexus 6 from her and getting her a Nexus 6p. She's using Tmobile right now, but thinking maybe we grab one off Google Fi and switch her to that. Looks like I can use the Nexus 6 on freedompop? Anyone have any experience with that?

Only a few things I'm worried about regarding the 6p is I've read there are bluetooth issues with it which would suck as she uses her phone to drive her car stereo every day, does the snapdragon 810 overheat (which matters when talking about fucking pokemon go haha) and then whatever's coming out this year from Google.

Reports on the new phone don't make me too optimistic, she really enjoys the large screen of the 6 and if they're shrinking it to 5.5 that seems like quite a loss in size. (I know the 6P is 5.7) If HTC is indeed making the phone will the camera go back to sucking?

Kinda wish I had jumped on the Amazon deal with 5% back from discover and gift cards we have on there. (and she could stick with Tmobile)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I'll never have anything but forward facing speakers again if I can help it. This is awesome.

Taking a year to port my number though.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Suggest an option for a cheap android phone I can get my mom. All it needs to be able to do is talk/text/ and rarely check emails. She said she could go with slightly smaller screen size if that's what it takes. She has a samsung now and it's gotten old and feels like it was pretty much a waste. Apparently she rarely talks with it outside the house much either.

She doesn't really use any apps at all other than checking emal if she's out and about. She runs aps on her tablet.