Smartphones

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I don't understand why anyone acts like vanilla android experience is the only one worth owning. Have had a Note5 for months now, coming from an OPO and another rooted Android phone before that... Zero fucks given.
I just don't like all the other shit that gets pre-loaded onto phones that you can't remove unless you root the phone. If you have to root the phone to do what you want anyway, you could just do it with the Nexus as well.

With my work I am not allowed to root my phone, otherwise I can't get my email. Some security BS they have.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thinking of replacing my Nexus 5 soon. Can anyone comment on phones with fingerprint scanners and how easy it is to use them? Seems like a practical way to secure your phone but I'm having trouble imaging it as a practical way to unlock the screen.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Thinking of replacing my Nexus 5 soon. Can anyone comment on phones with fingerprint scanners and how easy it is to use them? Seems like a practical way to secure your phone but I'm having trouble imaging it as a practical way to unlock the screen.
I can only speak about the iPhone in this regard. You essentially will start picking up your phone with your thumb over the scanner resulting in it just being unlocked by the time it gets from pocket to your eyes. I have to consciously avoid doing that if I just want to take it out and place it somewhere just in case I forget to turn the screen off.

It couldn't be easier to unlock.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I can only speak about the iPhone in this regard. You essentially will start picking up your phone with your thumb over the scanner resulting in it just being unlocked by the time it gets from pocket to your eyes. I have to consciously avoid doing that if I just want to take it out and place it somewhere just in case I forget to turn the screen off.

It couldn't be easier to unlock.
Same on the S6. I've been quite impressed by it. Convenient as fuck.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The rear-mounted sensor on my 6P is awesome. It's exactly where I can touch it as I pull it from my pocket. I can grab it and unlock it all in one motion, with one hand.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I've had the Nexus 5X and Project Fi since the phone released and so far so good. I have no complaints. I love the finger print scanner on the Nexus 5X. Being rear mounted hasn't been an issue and I actually like the placement of it. I rest my pointer finger on the back of the phone already so its natural for me to unlock the phone when I pick it up. Its hard to compare the 5X to the S6 or Iphone since it actually lacks a physical home button.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Oh, hah, I'm assuming it has to be your thumb. I'm an idiot.
You can save up to 5 different "prints" from any finger. I have my right and left index. I thought it was going to be a gimmick, but I love the feature now.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
That's only for the smaller version of the phone. There most likely will be a larger version as well, just like last years 5x and 6P

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Hah, bottom-firing speakers on the Marlin? Hard pass. Go for the 6P. It is a fucking awesome phone. This weak shit that HTC is bringing this year is pathetic. I don't know if I can ever go back to speakers in the back or bottom of my phone ever again.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Could be why Google is rumored to be releasing another phone themselves.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I just don't like all the other shit that gets pre-loaded onto phones that you can't remove unless you root the phone. If you have to root the phone to do what you want anyway, you could just do it with the Nexus as well.
I hear you when you say you don't like things you can't remove, but I am wondering what those things are. I was able to disable all AT&T apps and all but 3 Samsung apps (file explorer, scrapbook, voice recorder) on my Note5. I put those in a folder and forgot about them forever.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I hear you when you say you don't like things you can't remove, but I am wondering what those things are. I was able to disable all AT&T apps and all but 3 Samsung apps (file explorer, scrapbook, voice recorder) on my Note5. I put those in a folder and forgot about them forever.
I'm trying to think of the last non-Nexus phone I had, and what carrier I was with at the time. It may have been the S4 when I was still with Verizon, and I seem to recall there being a ton of Verizon loaded BS that I could not remove. I also seem to recall there being quite a few Samsung specific apps, but this was a few years ago now.