Smartphones

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'll be shocked if Sprint receives any Note 7, no major carrier has received an announcement on inventory. I am receiving calls daily about expected arrival dates and there are zero. Samsung is really pushing to have all those Note 7 brought back to the stores and exchanged for a different device because their 'expected' re-stock is not anticipated until mid October, November in which case I have to redo all those exchange devices AGAIN back to a Note 7.
True that Verizon will have the new Note 7's in stock on the 21st? I think it's crazy that they find out a while ago, and then it finally becomes official on 9/15, and then it's still not going to be available for swap until 9/21 at the earliest? wtf?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
True that Verizon will have the new Note 7's in stock on the 21st? I think it's crazy that they find out a while ago, and then it finally becomes official on 9/15, and then it's still not going to be available for swap until 9/21 at the earliest? wtf?
They trade waterproof for perma battery, coulda just sent everyone a new battery... but no.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
If the pricing on the Google Pixel phones that leaked today are correct, they are going to get fucking stomped. $649 for the smaller phone? Those things are underspecced pieces of trash at half that price. Thank god I got a 6p last time around.

EDIT: I am now reading conflicting reports about pricing. I stand by my statement that if the pricing starts at $649 for the smaller phone then they are stupid. If it comes in around $349 then they will be competitive.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's fucking stupid if true. Anyone remember a few years back they tried branding some flagship models as "dev" phones and sold them around the same price point? Yeah, that worked out well.

Guess I'll be buying 1+3. Sucks I waited for nothing. Is there even any competition in this slot anymore?

Inque

FunEmployed
The smaller of the two will be $650, which is going to suck but that's to be expected since Verizon will be carrying the device as well (and you know they're going to want a piece of that action on device costs); Google won't undercut them on that end. The bigger Pixel will be around $850. The only saving grace is Google will have device payment options and I can buy it through them w/o the carrier bloatware installed but otherwise I'm weeping and sticking with my Note 5...

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Well, if the pricing rumors prove to be true, I'll probably just pick up a 6P then. For $850 there better be something amazing in that phone for me to even consider it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Chances of getting a new Note 7 tomorrow? Lol... I get the feeling shit's gonna be insane at the Verizon store!

Inque

FunEmployed
Eh, chances are looking better than they were 4 days ago. That said, shipments are small and first come, first serve. I'm off until the weekend but it will definitely be a mad house as people demand a replacement...and they have to wait again, lol.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The pixel phones will be the first with the snapdragon 821. They won't be underspecced but fuck that price.

LiquidDeath

How fucking stupid are Google and HTC? The originator of front facing stereo speakers on mobile phones is building what appears to be the most powerful Android phone on the market and they just decide to copy the iPhone. Add that to the ridiculous iPhone pricing and I foresee these phones being massive failures.

What the fuck was wrong with taking the best mass produced parts from half a generation ago and building a fantastic phone for a great price? That is the main reason I started buying Nexus phones. Looks like the gravy train is over.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Well, if the pricing rumors prove to be true, I'll probably just pick up a 6P then. For $850 there better be something amazing in that phone for me to even consider it.
Won't know for sure until Oct 4th but I found this article that has different prices from an HTC source.

The prices we have are supposed to be for the 32GB variants of both Marlin (Pixel XL) and Sailfish (Pixel) – The 32GB version of Nexus Marlin will be priced at $599 while the same storage option for the Sailfish will be priced at $449.

So $100 more than the 6P at the lowest storage level for the XL. And unlike with the 5X, the Pixel will have the same specs as the XL, which accounts for the bigger bump in price.

Not unreasonable at those prices. My current Sprint plan runs out in November, at which point I'll be switching over to Fi, which my wife is already on. Even if I grab the XL on payments, it's still going to be nearly $100 less a month for service. I can definitely live with that.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The 5X launched at $430. Sailfish is launching at $450.

The 6P launched at $500. Marlin is launching at $600.

I don't really see the butthurt here.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

That is more along the lines of what I was expecting for pricing. The more recent rumors of the sailfish starting at $649 and things going up from there have me a bit worried though. Hopefully they end up wrong.

LiquidDeath

There are contradictory prices in a lot of the articles. The first ones that came out were iPhone 7 prices. Hopefully the new figures are closer to reality.

Having bottom firing speakers on a $500+ HTC phone is still fucking retarded, though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Need some advice from any cell plan experts/phone company employees here.

So I have a cell phone with Sprint. Contract is up in a couple months. Couple months ago I bought a Nexus 6P and started Google Fi service. Had a new phone number assigned to it, etc, as I didn't want to commit transferring my Sprint number and stopping my service there until I tested out Fi for a couple months.

Now that I'm ready to make the permanent switch to Fi, is there any way to port my existing Sprint number over and use that on my Fi phone rather than the new number they assigned me?

I guess technically since Fi is a pay-as-you-go service I could just let the service end, and then start up new service by porting my number over from Sprint, but I was hoping there would be a more elegant/easy solution than having to stop, and re-start the service(which I would assume would need a new SIM card and crap too).

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I know with Google Voice, I paid $20 to port my cell number over. There has to be a way, it's a federal law to allow porting number.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I know they *can* port numbers, just curious if they can port over, basically overwriting an already-assigned, in-use number., or if its something that can only be done upon the initial setup of new service.

Inque

FunEmployed
The past couple days we're getting wrecked with Note 7 exchanges. A woman comes into our store, this device in her hand smells like nail polish and is charred. I look, it's a damn Galaxy S7! Fucking glass melted on the front corner, smells burnt and awful when you get close to it. Exchanged it for a new device. Didn't think much of it until the last two days we've had at least 6 or 7 people coming into our store reporting their S7's are super heating, and one I had in my hand was so hot it burned when you touched the metal. I wonder if this is going to be a thing now...