Smartphones

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I feel like if you hold a phone that long, you just are at the point that you don't know what you are missing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Finally decided to pick up an S8 to see what flagships are all about these days and have been nothing but disappointed so far. I get that the screen is goddamn wonderful, but there's too many small niggles to spend $800 and feel good about it.

Are there any SD835 devices that are 5" or less right now? My Trump-sized hands can't deal with these bullshit 5.5"+ phones that are the seemingly only devices with decent specs. I guess I could wait for the Xperia XZs, but who the hell knows when that will land.

Back to the 6P for a while! (Also, how the fuck is an SD810 faster than a 2.5 year newer processor in the S8? I drop far more frames than I did previously with the 6P.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like if you hold a phone that long, you just are at the point that you don't know what you are missing.
not that much of a technological leap at least for three years..just more apps, softwares, faster speed, etc etc..

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Finally decided to pick up an S8 to see what flagships are all about these days and have been nothing but disappointed so far. I get that the screen is goddamn wonderful, but there's too many small niggles to spend $800 and feel good about it.

Are there any SD835 devices that are 5" or less right now? My Trump-sized hands can't deal with these bullshit 5.5"+ phones that are the seemingly only devices with decent specs. I guess I could wait for the Xperia XZs, but who the hell knows when that will land.

Back to the 6P for a while! (Also, how the fuck is an SD810 faster than a 2.5 year newer processor in the S8? I drop far more frames than I did previously with the 6P.

Did you just complain about the S8 being too big? And going back to the 6p of all phones?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Did you just complain about the S8 being too big? And going back to the 6p of all phones?

Indeed I did say that. I tried out the 6P about a year and a half ago because my Nexus 5 finally shit the bed. I hate the size of the 6P, but it runs smoothly and was cheap at the time. I was running an Xperia X, but after the last Concept ROM from Sony made BT almost unusable I decided to move back to a device that worked well (software-wise) for me.

I'd decided the S8 wasn't it for me for a myriad of reasons. I've only used it a week and a half, and I'm finding things that I really don't care for.

• Fingerprint reader is in a terrible position for left-handed users
  • Frame drops were higher than the almost 2 year old 6P
  • Bixby is fucking terrible, and remapping the button requires accessibility services, which has a negative impact on frame rate
  • The fact that the SD835 is outperformed by the older SD810 makes me a sad panda
  • On two occasions so far I have had my phone simply stop charging around 65% battery within 9 days
Those are my biggest gripes with the S8 so far, and enough for me to warrant not spending $850 after taxes.

Additionally, that's why I had questioned

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Sounds like the S8 & + is giving the Snapdragon 835 a bad rap. It's biggest upgrade is the Artificial Learning on the 10 Nm platform modem. Is this SD 810 a better modem than the SD 835?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Whelp, Wife's Nexus 6p has been retired to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean. Looks like I need to find her another phone. No fucking clue what to get now, what happened to inexpensive phones Google? Oneplus 5 isn't even out for a few days here and then will be impossible to get?

Any suggestions for phones at least as good as a 6p and not over $800?

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Whelp, Wife's Nexus 6p has been retired to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean. Looks like I need to find her another phone. No fucking clue what to get now, what happened to inexpensive phones Google? Oneplus 5 isn't even out for a few days here and then will be impossible to get?

Any suggestions for phones at least as good as a 6p and not over $800?
Might check out U11 or just wait for the OP5. They are coming with a couple of phone colors.