Smartphones

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
OnePlus 5 just had it's official announcement. The Essential phone is up for pre order, but I haven't seen anything about when it will ship.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The one thing that kept me from buying a OnePlus 3 and they just repeat it on the 5. 1080P + subpar amoled + 5.5" = no buy.

Seriously considering a S8+. One of the few phones out there with some unique "wow" factor. How much bigger is the Note 8 going to be compared to the S8+?

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The one thing that kept me from buying a OnePlus 3 and they just repeat it on the 5. 1080P + subpar amoled + 5.5" = no buy.

Seriously considering a S8+. One of the few phones out there with some unique "wow" factor. How much bigger is the Note 8 going to be compared to the S8+?

Screen is rumored to be 0.1 in bigger but I imagine it would be wider for the stylus to fit.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
My second Nexus 6p has died with the Google logo boot-loop. Google Fi is sending me a 3rd replacement now. It's well out of warranty, but it looks like this is a big enough issue that Google is at least replacing with little questions asked(if you purchased it through Fi, at least). Hopefully it lasts long enough to see if the next Pixel phone is worth it. I really don't want to leave Google Fi, but the limited phones is making is tough(especially when the one phone I have is a piece of shit!).

Wife and I both just started experiencing the phone restarting and ours are Nexus 6. We are feeling the same way and will probably move over to xfinity mobile once the new iphone releases since she wants one again.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Where to go for serious phone reviews? I used to use Anandtech, and still do, but they are incredibly slow. It took them 4 months to fully review the S7, and they haven't done a full review on the S8 yet. At the same time, I don't want some fluff site that has reviewed the phone the day it's released.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I usually go to The Verge.

My second Nexus 6p has died with the Google logo boot-loop. Google Fi is sending me a 3rd replacement now.

I have gotten into that cycle before with my old LG phone. I swear when you get a warranty replacement they just send you someone else's broken phone that they put a bandaid on.

• 1Solidarity

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Where to go for serious phone reviews? I used to use Anandtech, and still do, but they are incredibly slow. It took them 4 months to fully review the S7, and they haven't done a full review on the S8 yet. At the same time, I don't want some fluff site that has reviewed the phone the day it's released.
I don't go to one source anymore. I use Google news and search for the phone I'm looking into. Tons of fluff pieces, for sure, but in the end I come out of it with more information than before. Especially for rumors/leaks, they all share that information once its out, but it's how I stay up on stuff. Basically read the reviews from a bunch of different places, and draw conclusions by the similarities between them.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
If you can get the s8+ with a buy one get one deal I'd say go for it. (sell the 2nd if you have no use for it)

My only real complaint is the placement of the fingerprint sensor. The great thing about this phone to me is the screen is fucking huge but the phone itself feels much smaller in your hand. (of course this is me comparing it to a Nexus 6 and a Nexus 6p)

No way I'd ever happily pay full price for one mind you, or any phone.

Crone

The Note 8 and Pixel 2 phone are both what I'm looking at this Fall. Gonna dump the S7 for one of them, but no idea which one yet. Despite them saying they are working to improve the upgrade times for Android, I don't think it'll beat the Pixel.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is S8/S8+ the only viable candidate for Android right now? Looks like G6 and Pixel are just not a good value proposition at the prices they are at (and Samsung deals).

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I like my Pixel but I LOVED my Note 4. And I grew to love Samsung's flavour of Android and apps.

Def won't get the next Pixel if they don't do something about that massive bezel they left at the bottom. You could park your car there.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I've been on the Nexus train since the 5 and I'm not sure I give a shit about getting the newest flavor of Android first. All it seemed to do in the past is fuck my phones up honestly. In the case of the 6p it may have bricked the fucking thing with the bootloop issue. Who knows.

The 6 somehow started out as a fine phone but got slower and slower as time went on.

and yeah, there is like zero bezel on teh s8 series, makes the Iphone 7 look like a joke.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Google's 2 year window of OS update support doesn't seem to mesh with what the hardware can support. Ever since the Nexus 7 tablet, they always seem to push something onto your product that makes it unbearably slow. Except my Nexus 5 phone, guess I got lucky there?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
When was the last time an Android update has given you something that made you super excited to use?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Nothing, but I'll admit I don't follow them that closely. Security patches are my main concern.

I upgraded to Windows 10 just so Microsoft would stop bugging me. I'm not sure what functionality I got out of it.

Crone

Some of the crowd sourcing features that Google is able to implement I thought was super nice. I guess on pixel phones, spam callers will show up in red when they call based on feedback from other people?

I'm sure there's an app or something that can do the equivalent? Was just nice to see it built in.

• 1Solidarity