Smartphones

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Low light pictures are 1000% harder then outside in bright daylight. Also what I notice on those low light concert pictures is there is hardly any motion blur at all, which is quite amazing for low light. Those ISO settings and noise reduction algorithms must be amazing on these new phones.

One thing that these small sensors still lack vs real camera is DOF, without using some shitty app or the built in camera to add it in. It just wants to make everything in the entire frame sharp and crisp which is boring.

Like this, this is not boring... Still cant do this with any phone, I wish they could figure it out, but unfortunately this type of image requires large sensor and large optics.
english-bulldog-puppy-dog-water-lake.jpg

depth-of-field-462x307.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
My 6p had started rebooting below 30% and the battery was only at 47% of its total capacity (according to AccuBattery). I called Google about it and they are getting beat so badly for this that they are honoring my warranty even though my phone is 21 months old. The 6p is the best phone I've ever had, so I'm pretty happy to be getting a refurbished replacement which will allow me to wait until at least next year to get a new phone.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
My 6p had started rebooting below 30% and the battery was only at 47% of its total capacity (according to AccuBattery). I called Google about it and they are getting beat so badly for this that they are honoring my warranty even though my phone is 21 months old. The 6p is the best phone I've ever had, so I'm pretty happy to be getting a refurbished replacement which will allow me to wait until at least next year to get a new phone.

Don't count on it. My refurb lasted 5 weeks.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I thought the 5X's sensor position was perfect. And it was flush with the back except for the tiny bezel around it to know where it was, which was basically microscopic anyway.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, that suggested price of $1,100.

Also I dont give a shit about fingerprint, I never used that shit anyway., not even a password. The fucking thing is with me 99% of the day, even when im taking a shit, and when im sleeping its under my pillow, so why have a password or fingerprint? Thats like having a password or fingerprint scanner on your wallet.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Huh? Unlocking your phone is like 1% of what the Fingerprint is for. PayPal, VISA, LastPass, Google Play Store, Amazon, etc... all of those can use your fingerprint for logging in, purchasing, or verifying who you are. Its just quick and easy especially if you use a password manager and have different logins / pw for every site. There's some other uses I'm not thinking of right now.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kinda in the same boat. I never lock my phone and of all those services you listed, I use Amazon and it keeps me logged in and all my billing / shipping info already set.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have a 3 yo and I'm definite looking forward to a phone with a fingerprint scanner. Nothing is safe!

I am curious, can you use the fingerprint scanner with a password vault like KeePass2?

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm reading some articles speculating about the Note 8. One said "it may come with the S Pen"

Why wouldn't it? Isn't that pretty much what makes Note a Note?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have a 3 yo and I'm definite looking forward to a phone with a fingerprint scanner. Nothing is safe!

I am curious, can you use the fingerprint scanner with a password vault like KeePass2?
Keepass2Android will allow you to use a fingerprint to unlock it. You have to use the password once, then once the database is loaded it will lock it when you leave the app and allow you to re open it with a fingerprint.

Edit: Just double checked and there is an option to allow you to use only the fingerprint as well.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Keepass2Android will allow you to use a fingerprint to unlock it. You have to use the password once, then once the database is loaded it will lock it when you leave the app and allow you to re open it with a fingerprint.

Edit: Just double checked and there is an option to allow you to use only the fingerprint as well.
How will that mesh with using the same database on a PC where I use a password and keyfile?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
How will that mesh with using the same database on a PC where I use a password and keyfile?

Not sure, as I just use a password and not a keyfile. Looking at the settings, there is an option to allow it to load the keyfile during password entry.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
The placement of the fingerprint scanner on the Pixel could not be anymore perfect. I don't understand why all of the phones don't put it on the back there. It is a natural place to put your finger when you pick the phone up.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Huh? Unlocking your phone is like 1% of what the Fingerprint is for. PayPal, VISA, LastPass, Google Play Store, Amazon, etc... all of those can use your fingerprint for logging in, purchasing, or verifying who you are. Its just quick and easy especially if you use a password manager and have different logins / pw for every site. There's some other uses I'm not thinking of right now.

99% of my finger print scanner use is unlocking the phone. I do use it for Play Store purchases, but I don't have Android Pay, Visa, or any of that shit on my phone because I want to keep my phone and payment stuff separate in case one is lost or gets stolen. Not that I've ever had a phone or wallet stolen/lost but still, shit happens.

Prior to my 6P (and Pixel), I NEVER used a pin code to unlock my phone because it was just an insane pain in the ass how often I pickup my phone and it is locked. Fuck that, putting in a 6 digit pin is a royal pain in the ass. But...

The placement of the fingerprint scanner on the Pixel could not be anymore perfect. I don't understand why all of the phones don't put it on the back there. It is a natural place to put your finger when you pick the phone up.

Agreed. I had the 6P and now have the Pixel. The finger print scanner is in the perfect place (and rarely fails) on both phones.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
On a completely different note, has anyone else been getting slammed with scam/solicitor bullshit phone calls on their cell lately? I've received at least 2-3 a day for the past 2-3 weeks - presumably all from VOIP fake phone #'s from what I've googled. Hax0rz release my phone # or some shit? I'm on the "do not call" list or whatever but scammy fucks gonna be scammy fucks.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users