Smartphones

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not too excited about the note 8 considering my current note 4 is on its death bed due to shitty on board storage. Also the camera lens shattered for absolutely no reason last week.
6bucks to replace.

took me less than 2minutes, just flick out the shattered lens, peel n stick.

thats how i got my note4 cheap, lens was cracked, screen was pristine, easy fix.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
My second Nexus 6p has died with the Google logo boot-loop. Google Fi is sending me a 3rd replacement now. It's well out of warranty, but it looks like this is a big enough issue that Google is at least replacing with little questions asked(if you purchased it through Fi, at least). Hopefully it lasts long enough to see if the next Pixel phone is worth it. I really don't want to leave Google Fi, but the limited phones is making is tough(especially when the one phone I have is a piece of shit!).

I am in the same boat, my second 5x (refurbed one) died on me with 45 days left on the warranty. 2 phones in 5 weeks does not a good company make.

I bought a moto g5+ and it's mostly great. It's got a couple things that are fucking annoying, like there not being a notification LED, and the google search bar on the home screen isn't removable, but it's pretty fucking stellar otherwise. Grabbed the $40 BYOD plan from Sprint and I get better coverage than I did with Fi for about the same price.

Plus the camera is just the goddamned tits. This is from Iron Maiden last week.
IMG_20170616_214049655.jpg

It's really hard to complain. Google is hamstringing themselves, there's nothing you can do but not give them your money until they get their shit sorted.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will take a look at the Note 8, but I have a feeling I am skipping this gen until next year. I have been a Galaxy S owner since the S3 and bought the new model every year. I still love my S7 Edge and it doesn't feel slow in any way. Battery life is still exceptional. The S8 just doesn't seem compelling to me, especially as it uses the exact same camera as the S7. Maybe the Note 8 will be groundbreaking as Samsung needs to make up for the Note 7 fiasco. But I will likely just skip this year's offerings.

• 1Solidarity

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just in case anyone is on the fence on the S8, Samsung.com is currently offering $100 off the unlocked S8/S8+ and you get $200 trade-in value for any non-S7 Android or iOS phone as long as the phone isn't fucked up. $350 trade in value for an S7 phone.

$525 before tax for a S8+ is a pretty good deal. Not like I was going to get anything at all for my Nexus 5, let alone $200.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think my 6P died yesterday. Worked fine all day, battery died at about 8PM which is not unusual, but I've had it on 4 different chargers now and it just won't charge. Tried cleaning out the plug but it still won't charge.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This nexus 5 and 6 sounds terrible.

Am I lucky to have gone from Galaxy Nexus, to Note 4, to Pixel XL?

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
It's too bad about the Nexuses (Nexii?), Google was in a good position to change the cellular world, but their bullshit phones and selection of said phones are ruining everything they're trying to accomplish with Fi. I'd still be on there if my SIM card worked in this phone, but it doesn't. Dumb dumb dumb. They need to wake the fuck up and correct this shit soon or there won't be anyone left that will use them.

Having your only phone worth a shit on your network be $650+ is just retarded. Like, Apple retarded.

• 1Solidarity

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
When was the last time an Android update has given you something that made you super excited to use?

Google Tango.

Only phone someone should buy moving forward are phones that do Spacial Recognition for AR. iphone 6s+ and tango enabled for android

• 1Solidarity

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Google Tango.

Only phone someone should buy moving forward are phones that do Spacial Recognition for AR. iphone 6s+ and tango enabled for android
Recommend to Tim Pool and his vest full of cameras

• 1Solidarity

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I mean at least the Nexus 5 and 6 still work, the 6p has a MASSIVE battery issue and Google is pussy footing around it. Unless you bought your phone directly from them or off Fi you're probably shit out of luck. (assuming your warranty is over)

The Pixel being $650 was a complete non starter for me. We got 2 fucking S8+'s and 2 free TVs for fucking $790.

• 1Solidarity

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Recommend to Tim Pool and his vest full of cameras

hold your camera up to police, it detects the "police" text on their shirt, does facial recognition on the officer, puts a 3d model on their face that you tap to punch it.

slay cops get xp.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I am in the same boat, my second 5x (refurbed one) died on me with 45 days left on the warranty. 2 phones in 5 weeks does not a good company make.

I bought a moto g5+ and it's mostly great. It's got a couple things that are fucking annoying, like there not being a notification LED, and the google search bar on the home screen isn't removable, but it's pretty fucking stellar otherwise. Grabbed the $40 BYOD plan from Sprint and I get better coverage than I did with Fi for about the same price.

Plus the camera is just the goddamned tits. This is from Iron Maiden last week.View attachment 147095

It's really hard to complain. Google is hamstringing themselves, there's nothing you can do but not give them your money until they get their shit sorted.
that picture does not look particularly good

• 1Solidarity

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Just in case anyone is on the fence on the S8, Samsung.com is currently offering $100 off the unlocked S8/S8+ and you get $200 trade-in value for any non-S7 Android or iOS phone as long as the phone isn't fucked up. $350 trade in value for an S7 phone.

$525 before tax for a S8+ is a pretty good deal. Not like I was going to get anything at all for my Nexus 5, let alone $200.
hmm this is very enticing, new S8+ for $375. only problem is I would bet Apple is going to have something big on its hands this fall with the iPhone 8/X or whatever they launch.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
hmm this is very enticing, new S8+ for $375. only problem is I would bet Apple is going to have something big on its hands this fall with the iPhone 8/X or whatever they launch.
You can always play this wait for the next greatest thing game though. At least you'd expect there to be good trade in deals for the S8's sometime next year as well though.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just went on about how I don't need the S8, but honestly if I were in the US I would take the trade-up deal. $375 is a killer deal.

T&C says if they don't receive the trade-in within 15 days, they charge you full price on the phone. So, as I am overseas, it just isn't going to work for me.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You can always play this wait for the next greatest thing game though. At least you'd expect there to be good trade in deals for the S8's sometime next year as well though.
That's true. It's good marketing though. At this point the S8/+ is old news, and so I want to wait for what's being offered this Fall, but the deals they are offering now won't be around when the new phones come out. Typically not at least. Then again, who knows. A lot of times they offer some pretty sweet deals to trade up. I'd bet hard they will offer $300+ trade in on the S7 towards the Note 8. Apple has similar deals. So unless you are just super impressed with the S8, and absolutely have to have a phone, no reason not to wait?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Yeah, just depends on your current situation. I think it's hard to beat these S8 deals right now though. We had to get a new phone because of circumstances, if I was already using an edge 7 or a Pixel I would certainly wait.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
decided to pull the trigger on the S8+ with how solid that deal was. will also allow me to switch to Sprint (the retards at the Sprint store couldn't figure out how to port over my Verizon S7 edge) and go from $90/mo to $50/mo for unlimited. hopefully I'll be able to sell it for $400-500 this Fall if Apple comes out with something real nice.

• 1Like