Smartphones

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
...while we carry a three year old device.
With the new technology coming out every month or so, 100% charging in 13.8 seconds, download speed at 5Gbps, display 4320×7680 @ 1696 pixel density and the latest chipset that will transport you to any place in the world. All at the lowest price of $1.34 million.

Break it into 12-24 payments and I'm in!

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Wanted an HP Elite X3 for a long time, now that it's $499 I can't seem to pull the trigger on a 1-2 y/o phone. I hate always wanting newer stuff.

It’s a piece of shit anyways and very poorly supported by both MS and HP. Microsoft pulled the plug on Windows Mobile recently. Dead end platform.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So went in last week to get a new S8, had an S5. So i go in there and get S7 instead, Put down $100 on it and the payments are lower than my S5.

the dude in there said they are having tons of problems with S8 screen separation. Supposedly the curved ege screen does not have adhesive on entire screen, just the edges so hes telling me of people dropping their phones on carpet and the thing separates. Not sure if he was bullshitting me or what, but its the main reason I chose S7.

BTW, the camera on the S7 is fucking amazing compared to S5, which I thought was great before. We were on vacation last week and I took some video in a moving golf cart over bumpy ass 2 tracks in woods and not even a hint of motion blur.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So went in last week to get a new S8, had an S5. So i go in there and get S7 instead, Put down $100 on it and the payments are lower than my S5.

the dude in there said they are having tons of problems with S8 screen separation. Supposedly the curved ege screen does not have adhesive on entire screen, just the edges so hes telling me of people dropping their phones on carpet and the thing separates. Not sure if he was bullshitting me or what, but its the main reason I chose S7.

BTW, the camera on the S7 is fucking amazing compared to S5, which I thought was great before. We were on vacation last week and I took some video in a moving golf cart over bumpy ass 2 tracks in woods and not even a hint of motion blur.

I've got a S8+ but with even some hard floor drops uncased I've not even got a ding, much less screen separation. Sounds like BS to me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I've got a S8+ but with even some hard floor drops uncased I've not even got a ding, much less screen separation. Sounds like BS to me.

Yeah sounds like he tricked you into clearing out old stock they need to dump. Generation old phones still have some value to sell, that falls off a cliff when its two generations old, they need S7 products gone before the Note8/S9.

GF has an S8, she is having mixed opinions with it, though to be fair she hates change. Everytime she upgrades its a month of two of frustration that such and such doesn't work just like it did on the old one.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Note is not really intended to compete with the Galaxy and is typically a fall release. Galaxy is always a spring release. We are miles away from the S9 or whatever it will be called is due for release. I do think the whole screen separation thing is complete bs for them to clear old stock. Hardly anyone walks in a store to buy a brand new last-gen phone. If people are looking to save money, they can go the used route a hell of a lot cheaper.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
My HTC One M9 is having charging issues, so thinking it's time for something new. Id like to get something with speakers as good as this had, as I use it around the house often. Suggestions on what is out there now that I should be looking at?

Vaclav

My HTC One M9 is having charging issues, so thinking it's time for something new. Id like to get something with speakers as good as this had, as I use it around the house often. Suggestions on what is out there now that I should be looking at?

I used to be a HTC guy (didn't do M9, but did M8) - I always bluetooth my S8+, but playing with it right now to check it's speaker - it's similarly clear and loud to what I remember of my M8. (At least without the speaker obstructed, I can make it basically silent with a thumb over the speaker, lol)

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
May just drink the coolaid and join the Samsung bandwagon. Will hit the store this weekend and see what options ATT has in person.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
May just drink the coolaid and join the Samsung bandwagon. Will hit the store this weekend and see what options ATT has in person.

At least wait until end of Aug. New Note and new iPhone will drop current S8/S8+.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vaclav

At least wait until end of Aug. New Note and new iPhone will drop current S8/S8+.

S8/S8+ have a BOGO promotion with a trade-in, not sure if an M9 will qualify but if it does and he's got a family member in need of an upgrade too, that's basically halving it. (Plus no clue what other carriers are doing, but Sprint has the "Galaxy Forever" thing for a discount ATM too)

I'm sure they'll drop some later, but I can't imagine much deeper than current deals.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Most top tier devices are coming out in August will come with the newest snapdragon 835 chip. OP5, U11, Moto Z2 force and S8+ are just some out so far. Anything else is out of date as far as tech.

Crone

For sure just go for a Bluetooth speaker instead of trying to get a phone with good speakers.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Checked out phones in person today while out running around.

Is it just me or are the AMOLED screens on the Samsungs pretty meh in how vibrant they are? I looked at both the S8 and S8+ and the IPS screen on the LG G6 was the clear winner by my eyesight.

Would it be crazy to go that route instead of a Samsung with it having the 821Pro and not the 835 CPU?

Coming from a HTC One M9, both are going to be significant upgrades.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
What? I've always considered AMOLEDs to be super vibrant, especially if there is also black on the screen. With their absolute black colors tend to pop really well.

Vaclav

Well, I won't speak to vibrancy (I'm R/G colorblind - so I'm useless in such discussions besides contrast) - but one thing to consider, is that the S8+ fucking sips it's battery. I use my phone constantly during my work for all sorts of functions to basically be a mobile office tool for me, my work tools would regularly take my S7 Edge down to 60-70% battery for ~1 hour of hardcore use. Even doing 90 mins of hardcore use with the S8+ of the same apps it only dropped to 90%. And that includes me leaving Always on Display on, and not disabling Bixby mind you. [I'd turn them off, but with zero drain concerns AoD is cute as a "watch" and Bixby is really annoying to completely disable it seems]

So to me it seems there's something behind the scenes battery wise that makes it a massive upgrade - because spec sheet wise the batteries are basically identical. (100 mAh higher on S7 Edge technically)

No clue where the G6 lands with battery duration - but I'm impressed as all hell with S8+'s battery and camera. [I do like a billion bar code scans for IDs and such each day with my app, it would take a good minute to get a scan to go with S7 Edge, S8+ camera focuses and adjusts focus in just a couple seconds with no playing around to make sure its a good ID tag before I hand it out]

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
With my S8+ that I bought unlocked directly from Samsung, will I still have to wait until my carrier pushes the Android O update to get it?

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Wife's Nexus 5x bootlooped this weekend. That's 3/3 on 5x's in the household now.

If you still have a Nexus, you're on borrowed time.