Smartphones

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
With my S8+ that I bought unlocked directly from Samsung, will I still have to wait until my carrier pushes the Android O update to get it?

No, but you will have to wait for the generic samsung release of it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Is that sooner or later than carriers do?

I would guess sooner, since Samsung wouldn't have to wait for carriers to fuck with and delay the update.

Just got developer preview 4 of O on my pixel XL. Still has some bluetooth performance issues but is overall pretty solid.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Is that sooner or later than carriers do?

Generally it goes; Google releases new version to their "naked" android devices and manufacturers. Manufacturers verify the new OS to their hardware and add on their mods/skins, release it to "carrier neutral" unlocked phones, and pass it along to carriers. Carriers add their bloat crap and roll it out to carrier phones.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Generally it goes; Google releases new version to their "naked" android devices and manufacturers. Manufacturers verify the new OS to their hardware and add on their mods/skins, release it to "carrier neutral" unlocked phones, and pass it along to carriers. Carriers add their bloat crap and roll it out to carrier phones. Then Verizon gets it.

ftfy

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
... - but I'm impressed as all hell with S8+'s battery and camera. [I do like a billion bar code scans for IDs and such each day with my app, it would take a good minute to get a scan to go with S7 Edge, S8+ camera focuses and adjusts focus in just a couple seconds with no playing around to make sure its a good ID tag before I hand it out]

As afar as I know, the main rear facing S7 and S8 cameras are identical. The front facing "selfie camera" is updated only.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As afar as I know, the main rear facing S7 and S8 cameras are identical. The front facing "selfie camera" is updated only.
That very well may be true, but better software and or chip behind it is posting results for me if so.

The autofocus changing is faaaaar quicker.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

Dual front-facing speakers, that will be my next phone.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
It looks exactly like the current Pixel except with less bezel and front facing speakers. Good stuff.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

Dual front-facing speakers, that will be my next phone.
Putting the speakers on the bottom by the charging port was one of the things I didn't like about current Pixel

I like to lay on the couch and rest my phone on my fat CISMALE gut, which covers the speakers.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Wife's Nexus 5x bootlooped this weekend. That's 3/3 on 5x's in the household now.

If you still have a Nexus, you're on borrowed time.
I saw this a few days ago and thought to myself I should back-up my phone and my wifes. Go figure she would walk up to me today and say "Babe my phone just shut off and won't turn on"...yup its a brick and I get the bootloop on her Nexus 5X. It's a shame since I was hoping to maybe push them until next year. Now I have to find a replacement to hold her over or just pony up and get her an S7 or S8. I wonder how much longer I have with my phone?

Edit: Does anyone know if LG or Google will take them back and repair/replace them? Or a cheap alternative? We are on T-mobile, btw.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I saw this a few days ago and thought to myself I should back-up my phone and my wifes. Go figure she would walk up to me today and say "Babe my phone just shut off and won't turn on"...yup its a brick and I get the bootloop on her Nexus 5X. It's a shame since I was hoping to maybe push them until next year. Now I have to find a replacement to hold her over or just pony up and get her an S7 or S8. I wonder how much longer I have with my phone?

Edit: Does anyone know if LG or Google will take them back and repair/replace them? Or a cheap alternative? We are on T-mobile, btw.

About three-four months ago when my 5x did it they sent me a refurbished one without charge. It's worth a shot unless you want to just get something else. Probably a >60% chance the refurb will do it too.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm

I had my 6p and 5x both replaced for similar issues. They were under 2 years old and I purchased the 'device protection' plan when I bought them from the Google store. No muss, no fuss.

Edit: There was a $50 or $60 deductible per phone that was still required.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

All of mine have been replaced free of charge from Google with Refurbs. I have Fi, though.

They will sit on my desk as backups. They're not worth carrying around anymore.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah , that was when I was on Fire too. Now that I'm on Xfinity Mobile no idea what they'd do.

BTW Xfinity Mobile is great. $45 / month and I use like 25+ gig a month. Haven't even been throttled yet.