Smartphones

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You do realize it is only a matter of time before all cell phones do that, right?

I seriously doubt it. I don't know anyone who uses a BT headset that doesn't carry a backup 3.5mm. And I know people that have actively avoided an iPhone 7 upgrade as a result of it.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I seriously doubt it. I don't know anyone who uses a BT headset that doesn't carry a backup 3.5mm. And I know people that have actively avoided an iPhone 7 upgrade as a result of it.
Maybe, but eventually change happens. I just don't see the old 3.5mm technology lasting in cell phones forever. I don't know the last time I plugged in headphones to my cell phone.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe, but eventually change happens. I just don't see the old 3.5mm technology lasting in cell phones forever. I don't know the last time I plugged in headphones to my cell phone.

Maybe if-when there's a tech to not require separate charging for small BT devices where they can transmit a shortrange energy source from the phone. Before that I can't see a full market adoption of it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I can't stand charging 13 accessories. BT headsets are a compromise that won't be worth it until battery technology has another revolution.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
The same young people focused on the newest and bestest phones also are poor people with the oldest and shittiest cars. Aux all the way, no bluetooth there.

True story I rented a Nissan Pathfinder recently. It has fucking RCA in's in the center console, I needed to adapter it to 3.5. Like wtf nissan.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
You can post a satirical video, but it doesn't change the fact that bluetooth headphones are junk. Also, I didn't say audiophile. My headphones cost less than the airpods.
Look, you were the one that came in like a douchebag with the "Cool story bro" comment. If you wanted to discuss the reasons why you prefer keeping the 3.5mm jack, then do it without trying to be a dick.

For me I rarely listen to music on my phone. And when I do it is in my car through BT, or outside when I am BBQing and again that is through a BT speaker. Beyond that I very rarely use my phone for music. Sometimes when I got for a walk I will play an audiobook or music, but I do use some BT headphones. For me personally, the sounds is just fine but I am clearly no audiophile so I obviously don't need the absolute best audio quality. As for the charging aspect of it, it again just doesn't bother me that much. I charge my BT connector for my car maybe once a week, and my headphones even less than that. So for my personal uses, I just don't care about the 3.5mm jack, but obviously some people do.

Who knows, maybe they will never find a new technology beyond BT which could improve on the audio quality. But the way technology moves, I really doubt it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Do you guys that have Pixels have trouble with hitting the power button/volume rocker by accident? That has been my #1 complaint with the 6P and those buttons on the pixel 2 renders look exactly the same.

No headphone jack might be a dealbreaker for me on the Pixel 2. I tried bluetooth headphones for a while and I don't really care about audio quality but I listen to podcasts all day and 2-3 hour battery life on the headphones did not cut it at all. If I could get some that would consistently last 8 hours that would probably work, but also I tend to go through a pair of headphones a month so I don't want to be paying $50 for them, let alone $150 or whatever those fucking air pods cost.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I personally don't have any issues with hitting the buttons. Do you mean just when you are holding it, or just in general? I can't think of a time when I had an issue with it.

As for BT headset only lasting 2-3 hours, that is pretty crazy. I think the ones I have an 8 hour charge.

Amazon.com: Bluephonic Bluetooth Wireless Headphones | Audio Beat HD Stereo Sound | IPX7 Sweat Water Proof Workout Sport Earbuds | Secured Fit In Ear Noise Cancelling Running Earphones | Built In Mic | Play 8 hr: Electronics

That isn't the exact pair I have, but it is that brand. I think the ones I have are actually a bit older. But again, I am not super picky about the sound quality. For me they seem to sound just fine though.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
No issue hitting the power or volume buttons accidentally on my Pixel XL.

Beyond the annoyance of having another device to charge and sound quality, my main issue with BT headphones is connection issues/performance. I have never been satisfied with how well BT worked on any phone I owned to date. It worked well enough on my Pixel with the head unit in my car (before I started using the android O developer preview), but otherwise it's been a crapshoot. Whether it's the factory BT in other cars or various BT headphones, I have always gotten random audio cut outs, disconnects, and even pairing failures that required me to re pair the devices from scratch. I only use BT headphones when I'm doing something where a cord would be a nuisance, or when I'm moving my parent's lawn so I can put my phone in a ziploc bag since its dusty in some areas.

It's only my personal experience, but BT just seems too unreliable to replace the jack just yet. I would rather see everyone agree on a single standard for audio over USB before relying on BT.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My phone is always getting turned on in my pocket, volume gets turned down while I'm listening to headphones, 20 pictures of the inside of my pocket getting randomly taken, etc. Glad to hear that it hasn't been an issue with the pixel.

If inexpensive Bluetooth earbuds are lasting 7-8 hours then that should work for me. Do you actually listen for that long regularly, or are they just rated for that long? The ones I had only lasted half the day but it's been a few years since I have tried them.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
My phone is always getting turned on in my pocket, volume gets turned down while I'm listening to headphones, 20 pictures of the inside of my pocket getting randomly taken, etc. Glad to hear that it hasn't been an issue with the pixel.

I haven't had a ton of issues with "accidental" button presses(although they do happen often enough to be slightly annoying), but just the general placement and sensitivity of the volume/power buttons is a pain in the ass. Selfie-sticks are almost unusable because of the button placement. I really hope they are adjusted for the Pixel 2, because I'm completely in love with Google Fi.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
If inexpensive Bluetooth earbuds are lasting 7-8 hours then that should work for me. Do you actually listen for that long regularly, or are they just rated for that long? The ones I had only lasted half the day but it's been a few years since I have tried them.
Those headphones I have never used for an extended period of time. However, my BT I use for driving is rated for 8 hours and that one I can definitely say has gone for 8+ hours of talktime. So I assume the other ones last that long as well.

No issue hitting the power or volume buttons accidentally on my Pixel XL.

Beyond the annoyance of having another device to charge and sound quality, my main issue with BT headphones is connection issues/performance. I have never been satisfied with how well BT worked on any phone I owned to date. It worked well enough on my Pixel with the head unit in my car (before I started using the android O developer preview), but otherwise it's been a crapshoot. Whether it's the factory BT in other cars or various BT headphones, I have always gotten random audio cut outs, disconnects, and even pairing failures that required me to re pair the devices from scratch. I only use BT headphones when I'm doing something where a cord would be a nuisance, or when I'm moving my parent's lawn so I can put my phone in a ziploc bag since its dusty in some areas.

It's only my personal experience, but BT just seems too unreliable to replace the jack just yet. I would rather see everyone agree on a single standard for audio over USB before relying on BT.

That is kind of crazy, I haven't ever had any BT connection issues. However, I don't have BT built into my car, I have to use a dongle to connect it. But I have never had any problems with audio cutting out once it is connected. I literally turn it on when I get in the car, the phone connects to it, and I am set to go.

A buddy of mine that I work with has had issues with his BT connection to his car though. I have a feeling it may be more of an issue with the built in BT in cars, but I could be totally guessing at that.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Gah, I have those 6p button press issues too. Tends to restart into the safe mode menu, or just get turned off. One time it decided to not turn back on for over a day, but don't have any of the other battery problems thankfully.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
For every person I know that has no problem with BT reliability.... actually I've never met anyone that didn't have a complaint about BT, but I work in a very techie company and mostly know techie people so they'd be the ones to bitch I suppose. My dad likes it because it gets rid of the cord and only cuts out "once or twice per day" but that's about the best I've heard. Considering the trend of wifi becoming less reliable too I'm not super optimistic about BT getting better for as much as it'd be nice to have a reliable, versatile, wireless data connection between devices.

In theory BT is great. In practice, it's more or less functional. And it has barely improved over a decade aside from "potential"

Edit: I actually hate headphone cords and end up getting them in my way every day but it's still better than all my experiences with BT for now