Smartphones

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Think I'm going to grab an iPhone 8 Plus at the Xfinity store after work today. This refurb 5X is dying more and more each day.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Holding out for Pixel 2 announcement/potential deals before deciding on something. Leaning Note 8 now that all the preorder stuff has evaporated. #Winning.

The content deals are interesting, free Netflix w/ TMobile, free HBO w/ ATT (and $25 off DirecTV).

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Pretty painless upgrade process but you can tell Comcast is new to the cell game. The people in store basically had no idea how to do it and had to call in for the steps. Now to figure out this iOS stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Exclusive: ZTE Axon M could be the first true foldable smartphone

Featured-Image-840x472.jpg

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
the notion that people are integrating sms into FB messenger is almost as difficult for me to grasp as whatsapp not being the default platform in the US

It's so you can use fewer apps to communicate with more people. I don't want to have to use half a dozen apps to communicate with everyone. As a Fi customer, I can still use SMS in hangouts, so I will use hangouts until until that ends.

I know it will never happen, but I want to see a single, interoperable messaging standard that will allow people to use whatever app they want.

• 1Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wasn't trying to argue whatsapp for use today over other platforms. The earlier discussion was the speculation as to why it didn't take off in the US initially, while the rest of the world did. That's why I mentioned international contacts. Whatsapp came out in Jan 2010.. WAY before iMessage, FB messenger, and the like. All of the rest have copied its features since and there's not much between them. Plenty of options. But whatsapp's longevity in the market explains their massive user base.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
my work does everything thru Phone calls and email... don't use FB/WhatsApp(don't even have the apps) for anything *shrug* guess I'm just old school hahahaha

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mentioned a couple weeks ago that I dropped and shattered the screen on my S7. Went out last night and picked up a Note 8. I've gotta say, it is pretty damn slick! I thought the stylus pen is a complete gimmick but after playing with it, it definitely has its uses. Being able to draw notes on any screen, webpage, create written gif messages, etc. I would say it is a welcome feature. Haven't got around to testing photos yet. Bixby feature is better than expected. I will update more as I use the phone.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Had the upgrade itch this week, so finally decided to change my Nexus 6P.

Ended up ordering a S8+. I'm not into the Note 8 design and don't care about camera nor stylus.

Edit : Came with a free Gear VR too.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Get me an infrared camera standard and I'll start giving a shit about this part of my phone.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just pre-ordered the Pixel 2 XL 64gb in black - the black/white one was out of stock when I tried.

Currently on a shitty Huawei p9 that was given to me by my network because my Nexus 6p has the battery shutdown fault, it's so slow I hate it.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck, I am tempted to order a new Pixel XL2 just because of the $400 trade in for my current Pixel XL. Plus a free Google Home mini? Hard to pass up

Edit: I couldn't help it, ordered. I am so weak.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The new Pixels look good but nothing giving me remorse for going ahead with the 8+.

It’s been a week in to the transition and I can’t even tell a difference at this point. FOH opens fine, Snapchat works, iMessage is actually pretty cool since 90% of my friends have iPhone.

Oh, the only thing I can’t figure out is why LastPass won’t work like it did on Android. Must be missing some permission because it won’t ever prompt me to auto fill.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I really wanted the Pixel 2 XL but no headphone jack and no wireless charging is 2 strikes against it for me. I was prepared for the headphone jack but I thought sure that it would have wireless charging. I don't care about plugging it in, but the first thing to go bad on all of my phones is the USB port and if you're using it for headphones as well as charging that's going to happen even faster. My Nexus 6P has the early shutdown bug so I'm tempted to just see if I can still trade it in for last year's pixel, although that has the same lack of wireless charging. If nothing else I could send it back to google to get a better trade-in on the 2XL.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I really wanted the Pixel 2 XL but no headphone jack and no wireless charging is 2 strikes against it for me. I was prepared for the headphone jack but I thought sure that it would have wireless charging. I don't care about plugging it in, but the first thing to go bad on all of my phones is the USB port and if you're using it for headphones as well as charging that's going to happen even faster. My Nexus 6P has the early shutdown bug so I'm tempted to just see if I can still trade it in for last year's pixel, although that has the same lack of wireless charging. If nothing else I could send it back to google to get a better trade-in on the 2XL.
Yea, I'm kind of disappointed with the Pixel 2/XL. The review I read nailed it on the head that between flashy or not, they chose not on every single feature. Pragmatic is the word they used. I get it, but when it doesn't have the guts to make it that much better, then what's the fucking point? In general, if you are going to skip the flash, the trade off usually is the components are bad ass. You choose quality over looks. Google didn't do that, so it's a non-flashy phone with meh components.

No thanks.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

If you bought the 6p from Google they should repair/replace