Smartphones

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have never used a case on my phones but I may do it with this one between the edge touching and just how damn slippery the thing is with the glass back.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm not a phone case type of person. I have an older Note 4 that I purchased brand new, and the ONLY time it was ever in a case was when I was on vacation and I wanted a water proof case to use it in the ocean. That said, the glass back of the Note 8 is VERY slippery. I've dropped it twice onto my carpeted floor, thankfully, because of how slippery it is. So I picked up a minimalist case from Spigen that's the same gray color as my phone, so I don't really feel like I'm using a case at all. It doesn't really protect the phone at all except gives it a slight texture non slippery back for me to hold on to. Aside from that, there is a tiny bezel across the top and the bottom. If the phone falls screen down, this should assist in the screen not hitting the floor and breaking.

What's also nice about the case is it has a space to stick an adhesive metal plate in there. Now it easily holds onto my magnetic car phone holder that sticks into the AC vent. Also Spigen.

Here's the case - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073R7588V/

Here's the magnetic holder - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AMGFY5M/
I like how small this holder is. It doesn't look horrible when not being used the way other holders do. And it comes with a bunch of metal plates.

EDIT: The ONLY down side at all to having a case/metal plate is it makes the charging pad unusable. I have the pad at home, so when I get home, I pop the case off and use the pad. No problem there. It's just an extra step.

Last edited:

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
And a case the entire edge useless.

The edge does absolutely nothing to improve the utility of the phone at all, while it causes a few issues.
I agree. It looks pretty slick, but I've had to re-train myself to hold my Note 8 without accidentally touching the screen. Still, I sometimes end up zooming instead of scrolling because part of my hand is touching the screen's edge.

Still the best phone I've owned, or at least tied with the Nexus 6.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
How common is it for US cell phones to be unable to receive international calls? I'm encountering this quite a lot at work

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Gonna pick the Note 8 up for $470. Seems decent. Can I pop out a micro SD card on an S5 and just slip it into a new phone without issue?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So what's the best solution to Android hanging onto wireless far past when it still can use it for anything? I've tried a few apps but they seem terrible? Anyone had luck with a particular one over others?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So what's the best solution to Android hanging onto wireless far past when it still can use it for anything? I've tried a few apps but they seem terrible? Anyone had luck with a particular one over others?

Try enabling developer options (tap build number in the about phone section 7 times) and check off aggressive wi-fi to mobile handover and see if that helps.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
That, had the same issue also on my 8 disabled aggressive wi-fi problem fixed, don't understand why it would stick around like that when I'm not even close to a Wi-Fi network

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Gonna pick the Note 8 up for $470. Seems decent. Can I pop out a micro SD card on an S5 and just slip it into a new phone without issue?
Sorry for not responding sooner. The Note8 can handle up to a 128 gig micro SD card.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
samsung says 256 is max, and some people are reporting success with up to 400 GB cards

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Can I really not change the lock screen clock on the Note 8? I don't like the format of

etc. I don't use the Always On Display; that isn't the clock I'm talking about.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wife needs a new phone, what are the ~$400 models? OnePlus 5/5T? Something from Motorola?

Shame Samsung put such restrictions on their trade-in program. Though, it makes sense now.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Drives me crazy too. Let me know if you find a setting to change that format.

From what I could find, a Samsung official response was that it is not changeable at this time.

However, you can download the WeatherBug app and it will add a temperature number to the lock screen (small and unobtrusive) which forces the clock into a regular HH:MM format. I'm doing that for now.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user