Smartphones

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Happy iPhone X day to those of you that got them in. This is one premium feeling phone!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I was skeptical of FaceID, but I am sold on it after using it for a few hours. It's definitely not as fast as TouchID, but the convenience factor of it is 100% worth it. I set all my notification's (emails, txts, etc) to block their content preview on the lockscreen. With FaceID, it will now only show the notification content preview if it senses your face (and subsequently will "hide" the content previews when you look away). That alone is winning me over...

With that aside, the phone feels quite heavier than my 7+, so it gives off a quality feel with the increased heft. My thumb's muscle memory still sometimes tries to hit the non-existent 'home' button though.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Mine is supposed to be here first week of December, but apparently the stores got a pretty sizable shipment. kinda debating going to the store tomorrow to see if I can just get one

Palum

what Suineg set it to
My iPhone X is amazing, like a_skeleton_03 says it fits my hand like a glove. It almost feels just like a stack of 50 crisp Andrew Jacksons.

• 2Solidarity

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The iPhone X is simply the best iPhone Apple has ever made. No joke. Yeah its expensive but this check pretty much every box for me. I always said the perfect phone would be Samsung hardware with Apple's software and they pretty much delivered that and then some. The cameras are top notch. As stated above, the phone fits your hand perfectly (and your jeans). It is slightly bigger than the smaller 8 with a bigger screen than the 8 plus. No more talking on tablets when making a call. The phone is phone sized. Some people hate the notch at the top but so far, it hasn't bothered me. I don't play a ton of games either but all youtube and videos seem to crop that part of the display out anyways. Overall i give this phone a 9.5/10. I docked .5 for the cost and lack of a fast charger which is the only negative I can honestly give this phone.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I just don't get the notch in the screen at all. On the Essential I could understand it, as it was small. On the iPhone it takes up what, half the width of the screen? Are those 2 chunks of screen on either side of it useful in any way?

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I just don't get the notch in the screen at all. On the Essential I could understand it, as it was small. On the iPhone it takes up what, half the width of the screen? Are those 2 chunks of screen on either side of it useful in any way?

I agree, the notch is stupid but necessary (to house the 3 sensors, speaker, and camera). I think it would've been better to just have a small lip in general but that would go against Apple's uniform looks. They realistically should've just made those 2 sides have a black background with the same icons as it currently has and scale the UI to use everything before that area only (essentially making the clock, radio icon, battery icon static areas with black background). Thankfully, that part can be done via updates, so maybe they'll wisen up because that idea seems to be incredibly popular as a compromise.

I heavily recommend everyone go to General -> Accessibility -> Display Accommodations -> Color Filters - > and turn 'Intensity' all the way down (to the left) and then put 'Hue' to around 60% or so. That will help get alleviate some of the yellow-ness of the screen with TrueTone being 'on.'

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
They realistically should've just made those 2 sides have a black background with the same icons as it currently has and scale the UI to use everything before that area only (essentially making the clock, radio icon, battery icon static areas with black background). Thankfully, that part can be done via updates, so maybe they'll wisen up because that idea seems to be incredibly popular as a compromise.

Using the space in that way makes sense to me, hopefully they implement that.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'm a die hard Apple hater but I have to admit that the new IPhone X is the best piece of hardware Apple has released since the original IPhone. It's pretty much flawless in every aspect-- great screen, footprint, and battery life. The Zionist created face recognition technology is totally seamless and unobtrusive, and while I initially balked at the removal of the home button, in practical usage the "swipe up" gesture is infinitely better. Highly recommend-- 9.5/10.

• 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Was feeling meh about the X. Ordered one cause fuck it, my 7+ was basically free and if I put it towards the X the cost was negligible.

Love this phone. Feels good in the hand, gorgeous screen. Setup was the easiest I’ve ever done.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Ordered a Galaxy S8 for $575 off of Amazon. I usually figure Samsung and Apple are for people with more money than sense and cool people who are in the know buy Nexus/Pixel or something like a OnePlus but there was nothing I could find at any price that didn't have some compromise that I didn't want to make so I guess I'm going to be a basic bitch for the next couple years.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Looking at the new S9 leaks, I can't wait for next year. BBAR coating on the camera lens to prevent glare, and ghosting? "Mini" 5" version? Dual lens camera like Note 8, Snapdragon 845 processor? Ohhh baby! Hype!

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I still use a Galaxy S5 and it's slow as shit now since the last round of software updates.

Should I get an S8 or will the S9 be a marked improvement worth waiting for?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The S8 is a great phone but there is certainly room for improvement. I would hope that they move the fingerprint reader to the middle of the phone like the pixels and get rid of the stupid bixby button but 5 months is a long time to wait if your phone is really getting bad now.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Why go S8? The note 8 is top tear greatness. Such a great phone. I love mine. The only thing is you pretty much NEED a case with it. The glass front and back is extremely slippery if you aren't careful. I picked up one of those minimalist Spigen cases the same color as the phone. It doesn't really cover the screen at all (puts a small edge on the top and bottom to help protect it from shattered screen if you drop it), but the rubberized case doesn't slip in my hand at all. Plus, I was able to mount a thin metal plate inside of the case and use a magnetic phone mount in my car. Pretty good shit.