Smartphones

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ya'll ever bogo and bank the extra one, so in two years when you've worn out the one, you pull out the other? Or is that a farsical notion, because by that time, you'd be using old technology and ready for a change.
bogo shoes (same model) didn't work for me...obv. different product ..
Typically to get bogo you have to sign up on a plan with both phone's. So it's not something you can just throw in a drawer waiting for a rainy day.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I think I'd just sell the second one since in 2 years it will be worth next to nothing and there will probably be new features that you want from devices that came out in the interim.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Are the Pixel 2's camera "issues" fixed yet? I'm in the market for a new phone and deciding if I should drop the cash on a Pixel 2 or just stick with the original Pixel.

My 6P is finally starting to take a shit (battery life is godawful), but it's hard to justify dropping $1000 fucking bucks on a phone. Also considering the "economical" option of grabbing the Moto X4, but I'm afraid I'll miss the larger screen and my original Moto X had one of the worst cameras of any "modern" smartphone that I can remember.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
From what I've heard the Pixel 2 issues in the early reviews were either overblown or have been fixed with software updates and everybody says it is the best cell phone camera now by a good margin.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Iran could soon be spying on smartphones worldwide, report claims

Millions of smartphone users in the United States, and around the world, are vulnerable to being spied-on by the Iranian government, according to a new report. And apparently all it takes is downloading the wrong app.

The report, "Iran: Cyber Repression," was recently published by the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), considered to be the nation’s largest opposition group. NCRI researchers allege in this new investigation that there are not only hundreds of smartphone apps currently being used by the Iranian regime to spy on its own citizens, some of them are available to users around the world via online marketplaces like Apple's App Store, Google Play and GitHub.com.

How big of a story is this?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Iran could soon be spying on smartphones worldwide, report claims

Millions of smartphone users in the United States, and around the world, are vulnerable to being spied-on by the Iranian government, according to a new report. And apparently all it takes is downloading the wrong app.

The report, "Iran: Cyber Repression," was recently published by the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), considered to be the nation’s largest opposition group. NCRI researchers allege in this new investigation that there are not only hundreds of smartphone apps currently being used by the Iranian regime to spy on its own citizens, some of them are available to users around the world via online marketplaces like Apple's App Store, Google Play and GitHub.com.

How big of a story is this?

Considering google/alphabet etc, not much of a big story.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So wtf did SwiftKey do? Auto correct is jacked and people in reviews are reporting dictionaries being lost?

Even as I typed this, tapping the correct word I would want wouldn't even correct it. Something is jacked up.
Oh thank Christ i thought i was crazy then figured it was my phone getting old. Funny I'll tap a correction and it inserts gibberish or not the word i clicked.

Sludig

Wife on note 4, me with a Nexus 6. She's wanting to try xfiniti mobile to save money over her old unlimited Verizon plan. Cost seems similiar enough i might ditch cricket to get on same booking with oro internet and hopefully improved reception for calls because it's spotty at home.

Not power user techies, but both like massive phablet sized for videos/foh. What are current options other than giant price tag note 8? I got my Nexus 6 after it was like a year old to cut costs. Not sure how old of a phone i can get her to spring for, but i know she's look at cheaper current options i think.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
You could do S9+ or S8+, both are within .1 inches of Note, only notable difference is lack of stylus, but they're still Phablets.

You're a little screwed on trade-ins as you sat on your current phones for too long. Half the reason to upgrade EVERY 2 years is to utilize trade-in on fancy brand new phones. Last year I trade in my S6 for roughly 450 off a Note 8.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh thank Christ i thought i was crazy then figured it was my phone getting old. Funny I'll tap a correction and it inserts gibberish or not the word i clicked.
Ended up being a swiftkey issue with Xenforo forums but it's been fixed. Make sure to update swiftkey.

Sludig

You could do S9+ or S8+, both are within .1 inches of Note, only notable difference is lack of stylus, but they're still Phablets.

You're a little screwed on trade-ins as you sat on your current phones for too long. Half the reason to upgrade EVERY 2 years is to utilize trade-in on fancy brand new phones. Last year I trade in my S6 for roughly 450 off a Note 8.
I generally keep my old phone's. Various uses at home and my last phone now is my gps/maps on my motorcycle.

It's a mistake if you trade at say 2.5 years, but as long as we've kept them it's at worst a wash. I mean they would be used for another year easy if it wasn't for a carrier swap.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm trying to refrain from buying another damn phone but the S8 is quite nice and I hope the new pixel phones or whatever have a 200 dollar variant. Fucking paying over 300 bucks for a phone, I'm not that white privileged.

• 1Worf

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I'm trying to refrain from buying another damn phone but the S8 is quite nice and I hope the new pixel phones or whatever have a 200 dollar variant. Fucking paying over 300 bucks for a phone, I'm not that white privileged.
I got an S8 recently and it's nice. My only gripe is the curved edges. I'm not a case person so the curved edges are annoying because if I shift my hand to do something like hit a side button or put the phone down I inadvertently click/move an icon about 50% of the time.

• 1Worf

Hekotat

I got an S8 recently and it's nice. My only gripe is the curved edges. I'm not a case person so the curved edges are annoying because if I shift my hand to do something like hit a side button or put the phone down I inadvertently click/move an icon about 50% of the time.

I haven't messed with one, just seen a few my coworkers have which are very nice looking.

I'm still rocking a Nexus 5x that I got for 200 bucks.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have never used a case but I got one for my S8 because it's so damn slippery. It actually slid off my coffee table twice with no apparent cause. I guess the table must not be level but that's still ridiculous. I like the case though (Spigen). It had an unexpected added benefit of making it a lot easier to find the fingerprint reader on the back so my camera doesn't get smeared up as much.

• 1Like

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Yes, my wife hates holding my phone because of the slipperiness. If I put it down on anything but a perfectly level surface it slides. I got it free through work so I don't care if it gets wrecked. They'll replace it if I drop it.

I also like some the apps on the little side bar, the ruler is handy. I guess for the reason above it also acts as a leveler.

Hekotat

Seems like Samsung has always had a hard-on for making the phone as slippery as possible.

Sludig

My wife and I have been on xfinity mobile for a couple months now without any issues. Coming in at $17.52 a month for both us is very nice.
How is that price work out? Online looks like 45/each for unlimited? Are you both just on like 1gig or less plans?

Sludig

Also any comments on Note 8 vs S8/S8+? Again been like 4 years since I looked into phones so I'm clueless on options. (especially like 1 gen old unlocked phone off amazon to save money.)