Smartphones

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
How is that price work out? Online looks like 45/each for unlimited? Are you both just on like 1gig or less plans?

Both are on the by the gig plan, we only use about 400mb a month together. Bill just came in Tuesday at $17.78 after a small state tax increase. We both bought iPhone X's so no ideas about the Samsungs. So far we have enjoyed the phone service, no dropped calls, great cell coverage so we consider it a win.

A coworker, her husband and mother are on the same plan by the gig and come in around $21 a month.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Also any comments on Note 8 vs S8/S8+? Again been like 4 years since I looked into phones so I'm clueless on options. (especially like 1 gen old unlocked phone off amazon to save money.)

After shopping for all 3 I decided to go with the S8 just based on price. I wasn't going to pay $200 more for the note just to get the stylus (the Note had just come out at the time) so I was looking between the S8 and the S8+. I had planned on the S8+ but when it came down to it, I just decided I wasn't going to pay $100 for a slightly larger screen even though I was coming from an Nexus 6P. The S8 felt a little small for a few days, but 4 months later I think I made the right call for me personally.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I picked up the s9+ and I'm pretty happy with it. 6gig of ram makes such a huge difference. Everything is so snappy compared to the s8+. haven't tried out the camera yet so I don't know how much of a difference it is.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Samsung got smart and actually started making the Plus versions of the phones better beyond just bigger screens. S9+ has a better camera, but maybe that's it? Lol

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have an Android question for you bros. I have a OnePlus 3 and for some reason when I plug-in headphones or connect a headset via Bluetooth, the notifications go to both the phone speaker and the headset. This seems to be a issue with Samsung phones as well, do anything of you guys know of a way to deal with this? Google has solutions through an app that isn't valid anymore.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I have an urge to buy pixel 2 XL. Anyone want to talk me out of it? I have been spending more and more time reading on my phone and want a larger screen than what I have now.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I have an urge to buy pixel 2 XL. Anyone want to talk me out of it? I have been spending more and more time reading on my phone and want a larger screen than what I have now.

I came from a Nexus 6P and honestly feel like I paid $750 for a battery (Nexus' was starting to shit the bed after the 1 and 1/2ish year mark) and 32GBs of storage. Sure, it's a tad bit snappier on loading certain webpages and such, but other than that, I really don't feel like I gained much.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The fact that it has no memory ard slot has killed my desire for it. Fuck that noise. I guess I will let the Faulty Armors spy on me by getting another huewai phone.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
No headphone jack and no wireless charging along with the price is what stopped me. I don't know why more people aren't more excited about wireless charging. It's just as nice as I thought it would be.

On an unrelated note, I recently discovered that if you stick your phone in a coffee cup it's almost like having a Bluetooth speaker. It distorts the sound a little so it's not great for music but I love it for listening to podcasts around the house when you don't want to carry the phone or wear headphones.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
No headphone jack and no wireless charging along with the price is what stopped me. I don't know why more people aren't more excited about wireless charging. It's just as nice as I thought it would be.

Wireless charging has been around for a while (I had it on my Lumia 920 circa 2012) and I still don't "get it". It still requires a device being plugged in, so honestly...what's the fucking difference?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Your USB plug doesn't go bad from being plugged in all the time.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Add me to the camp of "who gives a fuck" when it comes to wireless charging.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
I picked up the s9+ and I'm pretty happy with it. 6gig of ram makes such a huge difference. Everything is so snappy compared to the s8+. haven't tried out the camera yet so I don't know how much of a difference it is.
I'd like to see a picture in low-light setting from your S9.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
I have an Android question for you bros. I have a OnePlus 3 and for some reason when I plug-in headphones or connect a headset via Bluetooth, the notifications go to both the phone speaker and the headset. This seems to be a issue with Samsung phones as well, do anything of you guys know of a way to deal with this? Google has solutions through an app that isn't valid anymore.
DND (Do Not Disturb) settings cleared up mine. When I use my reader (Text to speech) and the alarm chimes my reader comes through my speaker. When I set DND, I still get notifications but I'm not blasting my article over my speaker. I needed to silence the alarm on DND.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My sister in law just got a G5 plus last week so my Mom, brother, and her all have one now. She paid $170 for it brand new. When I look at them I feel stupid for paying 3 times as much for my S8 and the $1000 phones seem even more ridiculous. On top of the way cheaper price, they don't have Samsung bullshit popping up all the time on their phones.