Smartphones

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My brother says there are times when it lags, but I think in general he is happy with it. Enough so that his wife just bought one anyway. Says battery life is good. He was a note user before this and misses the larger screen sometimes but that's the only complaints I've heard him make about it. My Mom loves hers but her last phone was an LG feature phone so basically anything was going to be a huge upgrade for her.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay so I'm going to ask dumb question(s).

I have metro pcs. I got a new phone (Moto g5+, why not). I go to the website, try to activate phone, it says it doesn't work. I put sim card in new phone. I try calling from a different phone to activate, the thing tells me call *228 from new phone. I call *228 from new phone, IT TELLS ME THE SAME THING.

So sim card is in new phone, and phone works, gets and receives phone calls. Should be trying to do anything here? Website says I'm still using old phone. Is this worth worrying about?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Turns out it didn't really work after a few hours. Ended up just asking to talk to someone after it tried to send me to a store (where they would charge me) and got it sorted.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Picked up an S9+, loving it so far. Anyone have experience with Samsung Pay, or any of the other NFC payment options on other devices? Reliability? Ease of use? Merchant compatibility?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Picked up an S9+, loving it so far. Anyone have experience with Samsung Pay, or any of the other NFC payment options on other devices? Reliability? Ease of use? Merchant compatibility?
I work at a store and we accept all that shit, it's super easy to use, and less hassle in most cases than using a card.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

I use Google Wallet Android Pay Google Pay and I've rarely had issues with it. Usually it's on the merchant side where their terminal says it works but they haven't set it up yet.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Samsung pay is better than them all since it works everywhere there is a place to swipe your card.
There's websites out there that talk about where to hold the phone for best results on some places that swipe the card for you. Typically these are places that have the card reader on the side of the PoS machine, and not a separate device.

I mention this, because I remember I had troubles getting it to work at IHOP, but it was fun having the Costco lady tell me it wasn't going to work, and then have it work.

But in the end I stopped using it because I carry my wallet with me everywhere I go, and is just as much effort to pull out my card, as it is to pull out my phone, so I didn't see a point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
So whats up with the new Moto G6?

I only found out about the Moto phones couple weeks ago when i saw the G5 on sale for $199 on Amazon.

I started researching it and its got pretty damn good specs, almost up there with the latest iphones and galaxies.

Ive been thinking of getting one but heard G6 was going to be released soon so I held off.

Anyone have any insight if they will starting discounting the Moto 5's even more and if they dont, is the G6 that much better than G5 to pay the premium on a "just released" product?

Im debating right now between all the flavors of G5 and G6. I change phones once every 2-3 years, im not a tech junkie, so i want something that will last me for next 2-3 years.

Thoughts?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So whats up with the new Moto G6?

I only found out about the Moto phones couple weeks ago when i saw the G5 on sale for $199 on Amazon.

I started researching it and its got pretty damn good specs, almost up there with the latest iphones and galaxies.

Ive been thinking of getting one but heard G6 was going to be released soon so I held off.

Anyone have any insight if they will starting discounting the Moto 5's even more and if they dont, is the G6 that much better than G5 to pay the premium on a "just released" product?

Im debating right now between all the flavors of G5 and G6. I change phones once every 2-3 years, im not a tech junkie, so i want something that will last me for next 2-3 years.

Thoughts?

They are pretty solid low-mid range phones. If you don't demand a lot out of your phone performance wise they're hard to beat for the price.

Mostly stock android with a few minor alterations. OS updates haven't been great since Lenovo took over though.

I've heard that there was a leak or two about the G6 being on the way, but nothing on a time frame. I would definitely wait until the specs and price are released before making a decision. I don't think there will be huge discounts on the G5, but they are likely to happen around the release date of the G6. Probably something in the $25-$50 range if I had to guess.

Slithum

Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum
I just got the essential phone from Best buy upgraded from an LG g5 this thing is pertty good enjoying it alot
Had almost half the price in gift cards so only paid 200 out of pocket

81OvOMun5zL._SX342_.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Is there a reliable and safe way to forward SMS text messages from my Android to a web-based client so I can check them on my PC? Keeping in mind that services like Google Voice is ... i believe... limited in Canada.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Google Voice was going to be my answer. After transferring my number to Google Voice, I can text from my computer or phone via Hangouts. Quite handy. And annoying to the people on the other end because I'm typing much faster than them.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Is there a reliable and safe way to forward SMS text messages from my Android to a web-based client so I can check them on my PC? Keeping in mind that services like Google Voice is ... i believe... limited in Canada.

Never used it, Pushbullet has been the go to app for that sort of thing for years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user