Smartphones

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I ended up getting the S9. As much as I hate Google, I still don't think I could deal with the Apple ecosystem. And I went to look at the XR and S9 and there's no comparison between the two screens.

I picked up a Note 9 last week from Verizon and I absolutely love the phone. Only issue I came across is the case and screen protector. I'm using an Otterbox defender case and the Zagg Invisi-shield curved protector. When I put the case on my phone the bottom part of the plastic case pushed up the screen protector and caused bubbles at the bottom side of my screen protector. I tried scraping the bubbles out with the soft scraper but no luck. They just keep coming back. So I'm going to try the Whitestone dome screen protector which cures the glass on the phone and I ordered a Spigen tough armor case with kickstand from Amazon.
Glass screen protectors in general sound like a pain in the ass with the newer Samsungs. I'm tempted to get a supcase with built in screen protector because I've used one before on a tablet and it worked great, but I'm not sure about it on a phone.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Only reason cause the curved glass. Some screens can bubble up especially with a case. The Whitestone Dome screen protector for Samsungs galaxy phones is amazing. I bought and installed it on my phone and it looks perfect. I can't tell I actually have a screen protector on my phone. The sensitivity is still there and the S pen works as of there was no screen protector. If anyone who is thinking about getting one look at a few YouTube videos first. You actually have to cure a liquid between your phone and the screen protector. The liquid prevents any bubbles from forming. I'm glad I bought the two pack cause on my first try I messed up but the second time it came out perfect. It was well worth the money and I will only use you this brand.

Crone

Only reason cause the curved glass. Some screens can bubble up especially with a case. The Whitestone Dome screen protector for Samsungs galaxy phones is amazing. I bought and installed it on my phone and it looks perfect. I can't tell I actually have a screen protector on my phone. The sensitivity is still there and the S pen works as of there was no screen protector. If anyone who is thinking about getting one look at a few YouTube videos first. You actually have to cure a liquid between your phone and the screen protector. The liquid prevents any bubbles from forming. I'm glad I bought the two pack cause on my first try I messed up but the second time it came out perfect. It was well worth the money and I will only use you this brand.
Yea, but you just paid $60 for a screen protector!

Crone

I'm WHOLE!

Today Samsung gave me another promo code for 100% discount on the AKG N60 headphones that were part of the Note 9 pre-order deal, as I wouldn't be able to get those any longer without paying. So at this point Samsung has made me whole. Refunded my Note 9, and provided me promo codes for $300 for my S7 Edge trade-in, and for the promo AKG N60 headphones.

Question now is whether or not they will provide me with anything additional to compensate for this crazy situation?

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm WHOLE!

Today Samsung gave me another promo code for 100% discount on the AKG N60 headphones that were part of the Note 9 pre-order deal, as I wouldn't be able to get those any longer without paying. So at this point Samsung has made me whole. Refunded my Note 9, and provided me promo codes for $300 for my S7 Edge trade-in, and for the promo AKG N60 headphones.

Question now is whether or not they will provide me with anything additional to compensate for this crazy situation?
Glad to hear it's all worked out for you, aside from the pain in the ass of having to deal with the idiots in CS.

Crone

At this time any more compensation request will be denied due to you have reached the maximum amount of compensation that we can provide.

Hmm...

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I think they did right by you. Now all you gotta do is get the phone on a Black Friday deal. You’ll be set. Happy for you getting this resolved though.

Crone

I think they did right by you. Now all you gotta do is get the phone on a Black Friday deal. You’ll be set. Happy for you getting this resolved though.
They've made me whole, but I still think that something should be done as a "Sorry", but maybe I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, and realize that due to Black Friday I'm getting the phone at a big discount.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

So go to order my Note 9 on Samsungs website at the $400 discount and all sorts of problems. FML!

First of all there is a bug in their system that it won't let you login to your Samsung account in the middle of the process. It just says error, please try again later. So I figured out to login before I started but then I was locked outta my account at that point. Had to do a reset. I'm at families for Thanksgiving so this was all made worse by being on my shitty iPhone 6s work phone. Ahhh

I can't see anywhere on the site that shows it being for new lines of service only, but when I go to order I get to the end and any mention of the $400, 24 month bill credit goes away. I'm hesitant to just trust that it's gonna work.

Second, and this is my fault. They can only ship the phone to the billing address on the Verizon account. I haven't updated this in a few years, lol. Oops. Apparently there is an address for your account (which was out of date), an address for your payment method, and then service addresses of where the phones are being physically used. I had all of them updated except the one that matters. Made the update but it's still not showing on Samsung. I'm unsure of how long it takes to update.

So all in all I still don't have a phone ordered, but I'm hopeful I can get it done this weekend!

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
The wife has a Samsung S5 mini and needs something new. I'm partial to Xiaomi but their recent model setup confuses me. I'm looking to buy as much of a phone as I can get for $200 while still giving my wife a chance to hold it in her hand.

Any pointers?
I ended up getting a Xiaomi Mi A2 for her via Gearbest.
4GB/64GB with a decent CPU and screen size/resolution and - most importantly - gold colour. Not bad for 170€.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
So go to order my Note 9 on Samsungs website at the $400 discount and all sorts of problems. FML!

First of all there is a bug in their system that it won't let you login to your Samsung account in the middle of the process. It just says error, please try again later. So I figured out to login before I started but then I was locked outta my account at that point. Had to do a reset. I'm at families for Thanksgiving so this was all made worse by being on my shitty iPhone 6s work phone. Ahhh

I can't see anywhere on the site that shows it being for new lines of service only, but when I go to order I get to the end and any mention of the $400, 24 month bill credit goes away. I'm hesitant to just trust that it's gonna work.

Second, and this is my fault. They can only ship the phone to the billing address on the Verizon account. I haven't updated this in a few years, lol. Oops. Apparently there is an address for your account (which was out of date), an address for your payment method, and then service addresses of where the phones are being physically used. I had all of them updated except the one that matters. Made the update but it's still not showing on Samsung. I'm unsure of how long it takes to update.

So all in all I still don't have a phone ordered, but I'm hopeful I can get it done this weekend!

Were you Hitler in a previous life?

• 1Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You know what amaZes me. Samsung has literally fucked you in the ass and you're buying a Samsung phone again

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

You know what amaZes me. Samsung has literally fucked you in the ass and you're buying a Samsung phone again
Oh trust me, I researched plenty of other phones. Just none that I really wanted to get when compared to the Note 9. Everything was a step down when comparing the hardware and what you get with the Note 9.

• 1Like

Crone

The turkey yesterday clearly made me stupid. So I had a thought about why it was just automatically signing me into my Verizon account, on the Samsung website....

So I cleared the Cache, but it was still doing it. So then I noticed it just skips the sign in step, so I hit back, and VIOLA! it has backed me up to the sign into your account page. Sign into my Verizon account again, and bam, new address is now listed!!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Pulled the trigger on a Pixel 3. $200 off and $200 fi credit once activated got me. Figured it was time anyway, the 6P got its last security update and won't be getting any more updates.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Pulled the trigger on a Pixel 3. $200 off and $200 fi credit once activated got me. Figured it was time anyway, the 6P got its last security update and won't be getting any more updates.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the same deal. I can also trade my pixel in for $110.