Smartphones

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Managers always train underlings to say the manager can't do anything the manager couldn't do, or to say anything to avoid getting an actual manager involved. It's customer service 101.

"How can I escalate this to someone who can actually take care of the problem and ensure I don't encounter the same thing that has happened twice now?" Because apparently Mr baseline entry level employee hasn't done dick.
Once I figure out why it was returned, which will happen when I get my phone back, and read the little piece of paper put inside. That's when I call every day, every hour. Lol

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Once I figure out why it was returned, which will happen when I get my phone back, and read the little piece of paper put inside. That's when I call every day, every hour. Lol

I've always had success going to the VP levels when their underlings fuck up, tell your story and supply documentation. They will likely just handle it so they don't have to deal with you bothering them for weeks.

Edit:
That's the senior VP customer service.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

I've always had success going to the VP levels when their underlings fuck up, tell your story and supply documentation. They will likely just handle it so they don't have to deal with you bothering them for weeks.

Edit:
That's the senior VP customer service.
Holy shit. This just got real! I can type up my story!

Edit: on that note, I have tried going to their Twitter accounts because in todays world , that often times will get some attention but even that didn't work. They just told me to continue to work with the E-commerce department and there was nothing they could do. I understand, as acid has said, it's all just customer service 101 to get me to move on and leave them alone.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

It's true. For every rung you climb on the corporate hierarchy (associate --> sup --> manager --> director --> VP --> Cxx), the number of emails you get increases by an order of magnitude, and we're all desperate to delete as many as we can, or at least get them filed out of Inbox.

Granted, by the time you hit VP, you hopefully have an executive assistant, but still.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Companies also get nervous when you go social media on their asses. Tweeting at them or getting on their Facebook pages.

I worked for a company that would go into ALL HANDS ON DECK mode if one person badmouthed them on social media. It was pretty funny to watch them run around the office on those days.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Royole could be the first company to release a foldable smartphone

royole.1541005771.jpg

Not something I want but it's interesting.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Anyone know how I can totally format the cheap Mexican samsung handset I bought on holiday of all the carrier shit and clean install android. I have no need for it so might as well trade it in

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone know how I can totally format the cheap Mexican samsung handset I bought on holiday of all the carrier shit and clean install android. I have no need for it so might as well trade it in
Holding power + volume up on boot should take you to recovery menu, may not help but give it a shot.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm in need of a watch or band that displays time and can vibrate with android notifications. Everything available seems to just be fitness oriented and full of a bunch of crap I don't want. Any suggestions?

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm in need of a watch or band that displays time and can vibrate with android notifications. Everything available seems to just be fitness oriented and full of a bunch of crap I don't want. Any suggestions?

Start exercising.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I have a Mi Band 2 and while it can and does track heartrate, sleep, and stuff, you can just get the app to not give a fuck about that stuff and do the notifications, no?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I have a Mi Band 2 and while it can and does track heartrate, sleep, and stuff, you can just get the app to not give a fuck about that stuff and do the notifications, no?

I bought one of the 1st gen mi-bands years back and had to return it because it couldn't maintain a steady bluetooth connection. Have they improved?

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I had no issues in that regard, there's a Mi Band 3 out now, looks a bit nicer, and they are dirt cheap too. Worth a shot I guess.
I used an app named "Notify and Fitness" for it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm gonna be getting a new phone soon-ish, I'm an old fuck when it comes to phones, my current one I've had for like 10years and it's not a smartphone, just some old shit, I only use it for calling people. But anyway since I'm switching plans I'll get a new phone with it. Questions are some basic shit that I could probably google but figure I can ask all at once and maybe get all the answers:

How good/bad are older gen phones compared to current gen in terms of supporting new apps and stuff? I'm not taking an expensive phone plan, so I don't get a big cost reduction on the phone and fuck paying 700euros or whatever for the lastest phone model, I'm gonna be buying the shit I can get for 1euro or MAYBE for 100euros. For example, a Galaxy S7 or an Apple 6s or something like that, do they do shit like you can't run the newest apps without the lastest phones, how far back does it stay compatible, this kind of shit.

Apple vs Android from purely a computer compatibility issue, it seems Apple have their own ecosystems with their own filetypes and all that shit, does Android do this too or can I just drop some mp3s on an Android phone and have them work right away without passing through Apple Music or whatever the program is to convert them to some shitty system, which might not even work if I don't own the MP3s (I haven't bought music in the past 20years, not that I download or listen to much anyway, mostly game OSTs and sometimes I'll download a random album or an artist's discography because I hear a good track). I'm leaning towards Android is there even any reason to own an iOS phone? It seems most apps nowadays can run on either(a while ago it wasn't the case but Android support seems less shit now).

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I'm gonna be getting a new phone soon-ish, I'm an old fuck when it comes to phones, my current one I've had for like 10years and it's not a smartphone, just some old shit, I only use it for calling people. But anyway since I'm switching plans I'll get a new phone with it. Questions are some basic shit that I could probably google but figure I can ask all at once and maybe get all the answers:

How good/bad are older gen phones compared to current gen in terms of supporting new apps and stuff? I'm not taking an expensive phone plan, so I don't get a big cost reduction on the phone and fuck paying 700euros or whatever for the lastest phone model, I'm gonna be buying the shit I can get for 1euro or MAYBE for 100euros. For example, a Galaxy S7 or an Apple 6s or something like that, do they do shit like you can't run the newest apps without the lastest phones, how far back does it stay compatible, this kind of shit.

Apple vs Android from purely a computer compatibility issue, it seems Apple have their own ecosystems with their own filetypes and all that shit, does Android do this too or can I just drop some mp3s on an Android phone and have them work right away without passing through Apple Music or whatever the program is to convert them to some shitty system, which might not even work if I don't own the MP3s (I haven't bought music in the past 20years, not that I download or listen to much anyway, mostly game OSTs and sometimes I'll download a random album or an artist's discography because I hear a good track). I'm leaning towards Android is there even any reason to own an iOS phone? It seems most apps nowadays can run on either(a while ago it wasn't the case but Android support seems less shit now).
Apps usually arent an issue and imagine most would run on phones quite a few generations old. Newer phones are really just going to net you bigger/better screens and more cpu/gpu performance if you're into gaming. Apple has a unique ecosystem where people really love their itext, itunes etc.. etc.. but TBH android equiv's are fine. Everything plays MP3's so no issue there. If you have a lot of music just make sure the phone you're getting has enough storage or comes with an SD card slot for expanded storage.

Edit: Should check out motorola's phones as they're cheap yet still net pretty good performance. Link to G6, $249ish

Crone

All of my inlaws are iPhone users, and none of them will ever switch because of iMessage. Most of my family all have kids, etc etc, and the ability to send non-compressed, or at least doesn't seem like it, videos, and pictures, etc is a huge win on Apples part. Last I heard Google was trying to create something similar, but isn't there yet.

If I take any media with my Android phone that the wife wants to send to anyone, I send it via WhatsApp, because it acts much like iMessage, and then she can forward it to others.

Edit: Also, I've sent off that email to the VP of Samsung Customer Service. See if I can get any traction on that.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I usually just get the model back from current, stick with Samsung. So when the 8 was out I got the 7 at a considerable discount. 20/month vs 35/month. But then I'm buying these fucking things for the whole family, all 4 of us. If it was just me I'd probably splurge.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The only problem with buying a year plus old device is that you get one fewer year of software updates. Granted, that varies by OEM, plus there's usually the option of rooting.

Crone

Emailed that VP guy of Customer Care at Samsung last night, and this morning I get an email from "Escalations". Despite normal customer service saying that my problem was escalated multiple times, I never received an email from Escalations, so maybe my email did something? Granted, it just says that a ticket has been created, and they will get in touch with me within 24 hours, unless their busy and it'll take longer than that.... lol

• 1Like