Smartphones

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Sending the pixel 3 back, its just to small for me. Hopefully see another good deal on the XL sooner than later
I really like the size of it.

Functionally, the Pixel 3 is the perfect size for me, and Fi is just about the perfect price. The camera is awesome, and the color quality on the OLED screen is fantastic.

I'm just not sure why I needed a smartphone in the first place.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
In my email:

"Refer a friend, get $100.

Simple as that. Share the code below to give a
friend $100 off Pixel 3 or $150
off Pixel 3 XL. When they redeem
their offer, you’ll get $100 to spend
at the Google Store. "

Anyone upgrading and want the code?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I really like the size of it.

Functionally, the Pixel 3 is the perfect size for me, and Fi is just about the perfect price. The camera is awesome, and the color quality on the OLED screen is fantastic.

I'm just not sure why I needed a smartphone in the first place.
I feel like this often. I have a Note 9, and I do some texting, some web browsing, and that's really it. I don't do any kind of productivity or work related things on my phone. I'm not trying to present power points, or other bull shit. I have a completely separate work phone, so I'm not even tapped into an Exchange server for emails or anything. I'm not on social media either.

And yet, I still get excited about the next new phones coming out, and want to go spend $1000 on it.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Looking for a deal on a phone that's an upgrade for my LG V20. I think I bought it for 250-300 2 summers ago. Would like to spend around the same if possible. Any suggestions or should I continue to hold out?

Looking at these Xiomi but there is about 10 different model numbers and I dont know what their flag ship phones are or model years.

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Looking for a deal on a phone that's an upgrade for my LG V20. I think I bought it for 250-300 2 summers ago. Would like to spend around the same if possible. Any suggestions or should I continue to hold out?

Looking at these Xiomi but there is about 10 different model numbers and I dont know what their flag ship phones are or model years.

My go to recommendation for that price range is usually the Moto G series, which might not be much of an upgrade over the v20. I actually doubt most phones in your range will be much of an improvement except for having a newer version of android on them. and a fresh battery.

Unless you are having hardware problems with it, I would suggest buying a new battery and heading over to LG V20 Forum on XDA Developers and flashing a newer version of android on to it. That should last you for a while until either your price range increases or phones in that range get better.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
My go to recommendation for that price range is usually the Moto G series, which might not be much of an upgrade over the v20. I actually doubt most phones in your range will be much of an improvement except for having a newer version of android on them. and a fresh battery.

Unless you are having hardware problems with it, I would suggest buying a new battery and heading over to LG V20 Forum on XDA Developers and flashing a newer version of android on to it. That should last you for a while until either your price range increases or phones in that range get better.
I did this exact thing. Upgraded to Oreo for now. Ordered a new battery. Really been fairly happy with the phone. Its been great except for some minor LG nitpicks.

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
So this arrived yesterday and it's a nice phone. Top build quality. Internals good enough for a standard user. Android One.
Now I'm jealous. Why oh why did I buy a Redmi Note 4 last year.

Xiaomi is becoming my favourite phone brand. Really nice for cheapskates like me.
Did I mention that in the week before christmas I faceplanted with my Redmi Note 4 in hand and cracked the screen?

Reason to buy a new phone! Got myself a Xiaomi Mi A2 as well. Under 200€ and good enough for everything I'll ever do on a phone.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
LOL! Not exactly specific to smartphones, but funny as shit response by TMobile

• 1Worf

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Sons of bitches. Never got the Pie update and they are dropping support.

LG G5 and LG V20 no longer listed on LG's security update page

This is one of the reasons I was willing to pay for the Pixel XL, despite there being far better values out there. Now that I no longer bother with flashing new roms on my phones, I want to make sure I get updates for as long as possible and in a timely fashion. I'll probably be buying next year's Pixel, as I double Google will be supporting phones for more than 3 years..

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
They dont. They dropped a bunch of phones as well. 3 years for Google, 2 for LG.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, I just bought a Pixel 3 XL because they dropped support for the 6P.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Sons of bitches. Never got the Pie update and they are dropping support.

LG G5 and LG V20 no longer listed on LG's security update page

I loved my G4, was still in perfect shape when the security updates were discontinued...after 18 months. Unfortunately, if you want long-term official product support, Google or Apple are pretty much your only two choices, and even Google caps out at 3 years, which I still wouldn't consider long-term.

"But Sleeve, you can root!"

...because I'm totally going to chance bricking my $700+ device.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

I loved my G4, was still in perfect shape when the security updates were discontinued...after 18 months. Unfortunately, if you want long-term official product support, Google or Apple are pretty much your only two choices, and even Google caps out at 3 years, which I still wouldn't consider long-term.

"But Sleeve, you can root!"

...because I'm totally going to chance bricking my $700+ device.
What about Samsung?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
What about Samsung?

Samsung isn't quite as bad as LG in terms of overall length of support, but it still generally caps out at 2-3 years, and they are horrendously slow with pushing updates (not a good thing when zero days are always hitting.) I want something secure if I'm going to be using it for mobile payment and to check my financials. As far as the Android world goes, it's pretty much Google or bust if you want expedient security updates for a somewhat reasonable length of time.

Galaxies are beautiful phones, to be sure, but I want to spend the least amount of money possible for a phone that will last me the longest possible amount of time. I got my (new, from a licensed retailer) iPhone SE for $150 last year; it had 2? years of support by that point. It likely won't be end-of-lifed until the end of next year.

Last edited:

Crone

Samsung isn't quite as bad as LG in terms of overall length of support, but it still generally caps out at 2-3 years, and they are horrendously slow with pushing updates (not a good thing when zero days are always hitting.) I want something secure if I'm going to be using it for mobile payment and to check my financials. As far as the Android world goes, it's pretty much Google or bust if you want expedient security updates for a somewhat reasonable length of time.

Galaxies are beautiful phones, to be sure, but I want to spend the least amount of money possible for a phone that will last me the longest possible amount of time. I got my (new, from a licensed retailer) iPhone SE for $150 last year; it had 2? years of support by that point. It likely won't be end-of-lifed until the end of next year.
Fair enough. With how little I use my phone these days, it makes no sense that I continue to go with the latest Samsung device at insane prices. I could easily go back to a flip phone and be happy.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Aren't security updates pushed by the carrier, not the phone manufacturer (for Android)? AT&T, Verizon, Sprint will send out updates at different intervals for the same phone. Or discontinue updates entirely, while another carrier continues to push updates.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
That's part of why google phones are worth it. They do they updates and none of the carrier crap installed.