Smartphones

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Does anyone have a newer LG phone like the Q7, G7 or V40? T-Mobile is having running a buy one get one special but the reviews aren't great.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone have a newer LG phone like the Q7, G7 or V40? T-Mobile is having running a buy one get one special but the reviews aren't great.
Don't know about the V40 but the V20 is awesome.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'll have to wait for at least the 2nd or 3rd gen folding phone before I even consider investing $2-3k in one. I wanna see what 2 years of folding on one looks like.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'll have to wait for at least the 2nd or 3rd gen folding phone before I even consider investing $2-3k in one. I wanna see what 2 years of folding on one looks like.

Agreed, but this does seem like a game changer. We were all going crazy for the Microsoft Courier almost a decade ago, and if this tech actually holds up then we'll be able to get one of those easy. Foldable screens also open up the door for non-phone tech to get wild.

sukik

LG released their LG G8 Thinq to no fanfare. Looks like some interesting tech but won't sway any Samsung fans.

TLDW:
New tech: Hand reader, Vibrating sound Oled screen speaker for calls only.
Pro: Headphone jack
Cons: Big notch for those that care
Price: ~$850.

I decided to pass on the s10, g7 sales and this and pick up a cheap tablet. Gonna hold onto my G4 a little while longer and maybe upgrade later this year.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I tend to skip generations, had the S3, S6edge, now S8+ (an iPhone 4 before all that, and a clam-shell Nokia before that). I was going to upgrade with the S10, but the S9 and S10 offer so little over the S8 that it seems pointless unless my battery was going out, which it isn't (yet). I'd also been eyeing LG's since I bought my LG TV, but the notch is a hard stop. Whoever approved that design needs to be hit in the head with a shovel.

I'd been wanting a larger phone, especially a Note, but not being able to fit one in my back pocket was an issue and the fact that it has the same resolution but lower pixel density than an S9 basically meant it was a slightly inflated S9. The foldable phones are definitely a game changer for someone like me that could really use the increase in screen real estate, but portability to still fit into a pocket. I'll need to see one in person, but so far the aesthetic of the Hauwei it a bit of a turn off -- reminds me of a LeapFrog device with a super fancy screen. Also need to get a hands-on to see what they're actually like. Again, I'll still wait for the gen 2 or gen 3 so they can get some user feedback on the wear/tear. Which is what I should have done with the S8+, as that thing is a delicate, fragile crystal compared to my old S6edge, and the S9 has notably improved durability.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

I tend to skip generations, had the S3, S6edge, now S8+ (an iPhone 4 before all that, and a clam-shell Nokia before that). I was going to upgrade with the S10, but the S9 and S10 offer so little over the S8 that it seems pointless unless my battery was going out, which it isn't (yet). I'd also been eyeing LG's since I bought my LG TV, but the notch is a hard stop. Whoever approved that design needs to be hit in the head with a shovel.

I'd been wanting a larger phone, especially a Note, but not being able to fit one in my back pocket was an issue and the fact that it has the same resolution but lower pixel density than an S9 basically meant it was a slightly inflated S9. The foldable phones are definitely a game changer for someone like me that could really use the increase in screen real estate, but portability to still fit into a pocket. I'll need to see one in person, but so far the aesthetic of the Hauwei it a bit of a turn off -- reminds me of a LeapFrog device with a super fancy screen. Also need to get a hands-on to see what they're actually like. Again, I'll still wait for the gen 2 or gen 3 so they can get some user feedback on the wear/tear. Which is what I should have done with the S8+, as that thing is a delicate, fragile crystal compared to my old S6edge, and the S9 has notably improved durability.

I'm pretty sure they kept the notch because that's where the IR vein sensor is that facilitates the hand unlock.

Crone

Showed the wife Samsung's foldable phone debut video and she looks at me and is all like, What's the point? Tried to explain to her how awesome it would be to have a useable phone and tablet that fit in your pocket would be but she didn't get it. Women... Amirite?! Hahaha

I think I'm officially off the crazy expensive phone train, as since getting my Note 9 last year I've not once used my S-pen. I'm just not the type of user for these phones. Coulda been just as happy with a much cheaper phone. 😔

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
You crazy, my wife can't put down her s pen. The Note 9 is larger than the S8+, brighter, battery is way better, and the speakers are on an entire different level. Also, no notch, why is every phone coming with a notch now? Some of this copy cat shit is seriously dumb.

Also, Samsung has some seriously good deals at times. Bought the Note 9 for $700 but it also came with $200 in points. When the Note 10 comes out I may just trade in my s8+ and get that their flagship phone for $500. (though the folding phone is awfully tempting I'm not dropping $1500 on it)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My S8 is showing its age. Front and back are cracked and both the charging plug and the headphone jack have gone bad. Won't be getting another Samsung phone. All of their bullshit software is just a huge turnoff for me, particularly the Bixby button and the prices are just out of whack.

If the Pixel 3 Lite comes out this spring and has wireless charging and is under $500 it might be my next phone. I looked at the Moto G7 which is cheaper but no wireless charging is a dealbreaker for me now. Every phone I have had the charging plug went bad on so fuck that thing.

LiquidDeath

My S8 is showing its age. Front and back are cracked and both the charging plug and the headphone jack have gone bad. Won't be getting another Samsung phone. All of their bullshit software is just a huge turnoff for me, particularly the Bixby button and the prices are just out of whack.

If the Pixel 3 Lite comes out this spring and has wireless charging and is under $500 it might be my next phone. I looked at the Moto G7 which is cheaper but no wireless charging is a dealbreaker for me now. Every phone I have had the charging plug went bad on so fuck that thing.

USB-C charging fixes the issue with charging ports that go bad. MicroUSB was cancer in real life use cases in that regard. I killed a shitload of MicroUSB devices but haven't in 3 years using USB-C devices.

Also, you might want to check out the OnePlus phones. They are usually cheaper than the pixel phones of the same size and quality.

LiquidDeath

My S8 has a USB-C plug on it. Still died.

Jesus christ. Are you trying to fuck the port or something?

But yeah, Qi chargers are super cheap these days and wireless charging is super convenient. I just haven't valued it over other features so I've ended up with phones that don't support it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My Pixel 2 XL's USB-C charging port is pretty wonky, but still functional for charging. The 8mm audio adapter dongle won't work tho, phone doesn't even recognize it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Jesus christ. Are you trying to fuck the port or something?

It seems to be a special talent of mine. I don't know anyone who goes through charging ports as frequently as me but that's why I'm all wireless now. This one was especially amazing because I only used the cord in the car. All the home chargers are wireless. Now the car ones are too.