Smartphones

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Aren't security updates pushed by the carrier, not the phone manufacturer (for Android)? AT&T, Verizon, Sprint will send out updates at different intervals for the same phone. Or discontinue updates entirely, while another carrier continues to push updates.

Android updates have to go through 3 layers to reach the end user: Google --> Phone Manufacturer --> Carrier --> You
Therefore, if either your carrier sucks or your manufacturer sucks, you're screwed.

In theory, Project Treble separates the core of Android from the custom things that the phone manufacturer and carrier try to add. In theory, this makes it easier to push security updates to the core of Android, but it's still early on in the game and moreorless requires manufacturer buy-in.

This is one of the pros of iOS being a walled garden, because when Apple says "Fuck you, we're pushing an update", there is very little dragging of feet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arative

Vyemm Raider
That's what is nice about having a pixel phone and being on Google fi. Get updates when they are released.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Aren't security updates pushed by the carrier, not the phone manufacturer (for Android)? AT&T, Verizon, Sprint will send out updates at different intervals for the same phone. Or discontinue updates entirely, while another carrier continues to push updates.

If you buy an unlocked phone, they come from the manufacturer.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I am having weird battery issue with pixel 2 xl...
Screenshot_20190128-170838.png

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Just got the "fake" 5GE software push on my S8+... Apparently my plan is the nurfed "unlimited" plan. Barely hitting 4mpbs, so it hasn't made a difference. If anything, it's worse now.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Well, Samsung is selling the Note 9 now for $300 off before this launch and since my wife cracked her S8+ a couple weeks ago she needed a new phone. Says they'll give her $100 for her phone in trade in with a cracked screen (still works fine) but we'll see about that.

(oh also got like $200 in samsung points so uh...this deal is super hot if that stands)

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
I don't come to the gizmo forum much, so if I'm posting poorly ridicule me and tell me where to go!

I have a phone issue and wasn't sure if i should start a new thread or just ask here so here we go:

In the past month or so my Cel phone seems to "stop giving me mobile data" after my phone is lock and blackscreened for a few minutes. it doesn't always seem to happen, but it happens a LOT when i'm driving or in my office at work trying to listen to shitlords on youtube. This is new. I've behaved the same way with my same device and apps for the past year and a half or so. The shenanigans started about a month ago. it happens for sure on youtube. maybe on discord and maybe on other rinkydink apps i have. Some times i've seen the "stop playing on lock" behavior on wifi, but its normally just on mobile data. swiping the screen to make it light up again normally starts it playing within a few seconds. but some times i just completely restart youtube.

would a phone VPN help this sort of thing? do i have a setting i need to change that an update helpfully changed for me? is it just my old phone shitting out finally? I have a galixy note 5.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Galaxy fold almost $2000?! Samsung is smoking crack!

Yeah, but that price will come down.

Honestly my ideal phone would be a low power, low energy e-ink display for the outside of the phone that would be always on for regular use this saving battery for the folded out tablet mode. Of course, they could just finish the research and development of the Mirasol color e-ink so that we could have phones that last for weeks on a charge again.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
That actually looks awesome, not $2k awesome, but awesome.

What's with this new trend of notches or cut outs in screens, it's fucking distracting and I wish they'd stop.

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's with this new trend of notches or cut outs in screens, it's fucking distracting and I wish they'd stop.
It's a competition between manufacturer's to maximize visible screen space. I never noticed until I started watching phone reviews and they all talk about notches, bezels and the new hole punch. I really only care about fast performance so I never noticed. But my phone is so old it doesn't even have a notch. I'm probably going to trade it in for a s10 soon since the t-mobile promo says they'll give me a $150 credit for my LG G4.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Have the Note 9 coming today whenever fed ex decides to get here. Paid $700 (plus they're maybe giving us $100 for a cracked phone but I'm not holding my breath on that) and $200 in points to spend. The S10s have better specs but it's not night and day.

I did check though, they'll give me $300 credit with my s8+ to a new s10+ and while that's tempting I'm going to give the stylus thing a go and maybe wait to trade in for the next Note.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
It’s gonna get worse support than regular android does. It seems to be highly customized. Nice but too much $$

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
It's definitely too much money but I really like the direction it's going. Imagine being to fold out a phone to be a tablet in one device? It's already here! As is I never use a tablet anymore.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users