Smartphones

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Google Pixel XL (first gen) giving me battery shit.Going from 40% to turning itself off because dead kinda stuff.

Last night charged to full, turned the phone off. Kept it off for an hour. Turned it back on. 60% battery.

da fuc

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my wife is so lazy, she constantly complains about her dying iphone battery, and i say, just pick a phone from verizon and we'll be upgraded and she's like "i'll look at it later".

i've been with her long enough to know, i can't just choose the phone, so i do the next best thing.

replace the battery. it wasn't difficult, amazon has kits with all you need. The hardest part was pulling the screen out of the case, jesus that was a hulk task.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Currently have a galaxy s9, love it but a few things I want - a better camera and dual SIM card feature.

Never owned an iPhone. Bought an overpriced MacBook pro last year and I actually really like it even though it's overpriced as fuq.

I'm tired of Google owning all my shit and knowing everything about me. Thinking of getting an iPhone 11 pro (has dual SIM with esim). Is switching my phone to apple to not put all my info in one basket a fruitless effort in trying to not support the Google complex?

Edit - no audio jack russles my Jim's to the max. I need an audio jack for my truck and to not drain battery with Bluetooth when traveling. That's the one huge plus of Galaxy s10 but I dislike that the S10 is now bigger than the s9 so the iPhone 11 pro size is a plus

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Currently have a galaxy s9, love it but a few things I want - a better camera and dual SIM card feature.

Never owned an iPhone. Bought an overpriced MacBook pro last year and I actually really like it even though it's overpriced as fuq.

I'm tired of Google owning all my shit and knowing everything about me. Thinking of getting an iPhone 11 pro (has dual SIM with esim). Is switching my phone to apple to not put all my info in one basket a fruitless effort in trying to not support the Google complex?

Edit - no audio jack russles my Jim's to the max. I need an audio jack for my truck and to not drain battery with Bluetooth when traveling. That's the one huge plus of Galaxy s10 but I dislike that the S10 is now bigger than the s9 so the iPhone 11 pro size is a plus
In all honesty, Bluetooth draining battery is never an issue for me anymore. Other things drain the battery at a far quicker rate than Bluetooth these days.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
In all honesty, Bluetooth draining battery is never an issue for me anymore. Other things drain the battery at a far quicker rate than Bluetooth these days.

^^Plus you can get a cradle for it that does wireless charging while you drive.

I was pretty pissed off when they took away the headphone jacks but I've been living the bluetooth life for a couple years now and I don't mind it. The biggest frustration I have with it is my phone automatically switching from one device to another for no reason. I'm listening to a podcast and get in my car and the phone assumes that I would rather connect to the car radio (which is turned off by the way) than continue listening to my headphones.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm tired of Google owning all my shit and knowing everything about me. Thinking of getting an iPhone 11 pro

"They might also be soulless corporate overlords, but they're the soulless corporate overlords I CHOOSE, dammit!"

• 1Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Google Pixel XL (first gen) giving me battery shit.Going from 40% to turning itself off because dead kinda stuff.

Last night charged to full, turned the phone off. Kept it off for an hour. Turned it back on. 60% battery.

da fuc
Known issue of 1st gen Pixel XLs. Mine started doing the same almost 2 years in, which is why I had to upgrade to a Pixel 2 XL. Fortunately, my Pixel 2 XL still holds a pretty solid charge throughout the day. The only thing that burns the battery is when I'm at work(I work in the middle of nowhere)and the phone is constantly searching for a cell tower/coverage.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I work for an AASP location, and iOS 13 has screwed over a lot of people trying to pull their iCloud backup onto their new 11. That being said 13.1 came out... the next day? maybe 2 days later, and from what I've seen alleviated most of the issues people were having. Definitely recommend that people try out the new Apple swipe keyboard, especially considering that 3rd party keyboards were, and I believe still are, bugged and have full access to everything on your phone, even things they aren't suppose to, leaving a giant privacy/security hole in your device.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Galaxy s10 is tits. Fingerprint reader sucks ass but face unlock more than makes up for it.

Hell ya

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Phone got dropped...

Really like iPhone, but fuck I'm going hardcore anti China

Any advice?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Phone got dropped...

Really like iPhone, but fuck I'm going hardcore anti China

Any advice?

That will be difficult. Most of the bargain and price/perf Android phones are made by Chinese companies, including OnePlus.

Pixel 3A is probably the best price/perf play in the Android market without direct links to the PRC, but it's Google's phone, so keep in mind your privacy will be 100% forfeit. You could maybe look at the ZenFone 6 (Asus; Taiwanese) if you want an alternative.

The Galaxy S10 is an option, but Samsung's update policy is horseshit (likely only 2 years of updates; 3 if you're lucky; updates often take 6 months to become available after Google makes it first available to the manufactuers) and they insist on having their own flavor of every default Android application.

If you want to splurge on a fancy new flagship, the Pixel 4 should be dropping this month.

Last edited:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
That will be difficult. Most of the bargain and price/perf Android phones are made by Chinese companies, including OnePlus.

Pixel 3A is probably the best price/perf play in the Android market without direct links to the PRC, but it's Google's phone, so keep in mind your privacy will be 100% forfeit. You could maybe look at the ZenFone 6 (Asus; Taiwanese) if you want an alternative.

The Galaxy S10 is an option, but Samsung's update policy is horseshit (likely only 2 years of updates; 3 if you're lucky; updates often take 6 months to become available after Google makes it first available to the manufactuers) and they insist on having their own flavor of every default Android application.

If you want to splurge on a fancy new flagship, the Pixel 4 should be dropping this month.

Eh, looking at phones reminds me how much I hate phones.

I dont care about most of the crap on them. Just want fucking google maps, a fast cpu, big battery, and a good enough screen to read FoH.

Dont need 4 cameras w/ a motorized swivel monkey glassed with 1500 ninjas in pajamas etc.

Edit:

Was looking at the ZenFones, and thought "oh nice only 500$ . . . wait, what the fuck am I thinking ONLY 500$ for a phone" and immediately hated myself for thinking thats cheap for a phone.

Might wait for Pixel 4, then buy the 3A . . . rofl

Zen fone 5 seems ok.

Would go to a damn flip phone if I had access to google maps w/o a smart phone

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I think the LG G series are made in Korea. I got the G8 ThinQ for pretty much free through promos and it is pretty great to me. Had a note 5 before that for comparison.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
If you get an LG, you might as well just get a Samsung unless you can find one for significantly cheaper. They both have similar strengths (good hardware and specs on paper) and weaknesses (bad update support).

I loved my G4, but it was only supported for 18 months.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Have the Android gotten smoother in the past few years? Had one in 15? And it was clunky. iPhones have always been silky smooth in comparison

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Have the Android gotten smoother in the past few years? Had one in 15? And it was clunky. iPhones have always been silky smooth in comparison
i've had moto droids, samsung s2/s3/note4 and they all suck, my wifes iphone 4 performs better than them (i'm droid she's iphone)

currently i have the LG stylo4, which i guess is like the note, and FINALLY it feels comparable to my wifes iphone. I will admit i don't use iphone much, only when my wife has an issue and she wants me to trouble shoot (it's worse when she wants me to troubleshoot her work iphone, cuz i don't want to be liable for that, but the work techs are retards).

it's also android 8 and 3gigs of ram, i think it's just that the hardware finally caught up to this shitty OS.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The ability to text from a Windows PC, using an App, and not stupid AF Google Hangouts, has kept me in the Android eco system for a while now. Wife and I use WhatsApp, so that's a moot point between the Eco systems, but texting isn't capable unless I get a Mac, and that's not fucking happening.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My pixel xl (1) is barely usable now with its battery issues. I was about to pull the trigger on a new note 10+ but then saw the A70 on display and it looked right proper nice for a third of the price.

So... As someone that would've been happy still using their pixel xl til complete death, do you think the A70 is a decent phone?

EDIT: pass. The camera and sound is apparently meh. I enjoy some good sound and camera out of my fone.

Last edited: