Smartphones

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I'll prob give battery replacement a shot after I have my new phone in hand 😄

Give it to one of the little bisi's if successful.

Or I could permanently Mount it in my car for tunes and gps

I had this done on my Pixel XL (i.e. the first gen Pixel XL). And it made a world of difference. The phone got to right about 3 years old and suddenly would just shut down when it hit 25% battery half the time. Battery replaced and it's back like it was before.

WIth the said they just dropped the last Feature and functionality update for it. So no new Android/Features/etc for it.

Of course being a cheap ass bastard I will keep using it until it dies in my hands.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I had this done on my Pixel XL (i.e. the first gen Pixel XL). And it made a world of difference. The phone got to right about 3 years old and suddenly would just shut down when it hit 25% battery half the time. Battery replaced and it's back like it was before.

WIth the said they just dropped the last Feature and functionality update for it. So no new Android/Features/etc for it.

Of course being a cheap ass bastard I will keep using it until it dies in my hands.

I heated it up and managed to get one side of the screen lifted, then I shattered the other. Still worked but that's that.

Got a S10+. This thing's fuckin amazing.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone ever changed out the charging plug and headphone jack? Seems pretty easy on the youtube videos I've seen and it seems like while you've got it apart to change the screen or the battery you might as well swap those too since they only cost a couple bucks.

My brother changed the screen on his Moto G6 and said it was a piece of cake. I think it varies pretty significantly from phone to phone though. I also have a friend who destroyed his iPhone trying to do it.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Anyone ever changed out the charging plug and headphone jack? Seems pretty easy on the youtube videos I've seen and it seems like while you've got it apart to change the screen or the battery you might as well swap those too since they only cost a couple bucks.

My brother changed the screen on his Moto G6 and said it was a piece of cake. I think it varies pretty significantly from phone to phone though. I also have a friend who destroyed his iPhone trying to do it.

Depends on how steady your hands are(albiet newer models are so modular it doesn't matter), the best pointer I can give is if you want the water-tight seal still, be careful when removing the original epoxy/gasket they use, if you screw up and accidentally nick the shell it will never seal correctly..

Ruhl

Boner Donor
One tip I have found is use a guitar pick when you're removing the screen after you've heated the screen up. I always used a normal hair dryer since a heat gun would get too hot too quickly. YMMV though

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i've changed screens on a s3 a while ago, no issue, ipads as well, the problem i had was getting the sticky tape to stay in one spot, use dental pics.

i changed the battery on iphone 5 no issue, required total screen removal.

i changed the usb port on note4, very simple, but parts so tiny, need good tweezer (i just use the expensive tweezers my wife deems dull, they are like super precision).

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Best place to look for used smartphone?

I'm not a big a smartphone guy. I have one that I just use basically for the phone. I need one that will work with the app for my continuous blood sugar monitor. The one I have now won't. Galaxy s6 and up or apple 6 and up. Used or refurb would be fine since it's mostly likely going to sit on the desk. Wouldn't need a sim for the cell phone for that matter I don't think. Literally just to log the meter. Even one that is kind of scratched and beat up is fine. Most probably never carry it other than every os often to the doctor and back.

Might look at a smart watch. I'm not even sure how much the cheapest ones are. I'm not a watch person.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I'm not a big a smartphone guy. I have one that I just use basically for the phone. I need one that will work with the app for my continuous blood sugar monitor. The one I have now won't. Galaxy s6 and up or apple 6 and up. Used or refurb would be fine since it's mostly likely going to sit on the desk. Wouldn't need a sim for the cell phone for that matter I don't think. Literally just to log the meter. Even one that is kind of scratched and beat up is fine. Most probably never carry it other than every os often to the doctor and back.

Might look at a smart phone. I'm not even sure how much the cheapest ones are. I'm not a watch person.
i woulda said ebay, but unless you are super OCD and make sure you're not getting ripped off, amazon.

don't just buy from a 3rd party seller on amazon tho, amazon their own amazon renewed section where trusted refurbishers can sell under their name.

here is the smartphone area

Renewed Smartphones & Accessories

it's not cheaper than ebay, i'd say it's the same price, but at least here you get an Amazon guarantee, with Ebay, who knows if you want to side with you OR if you have to call in the big boys and say you'll put a credit card hold on payment, or you're gonna have to deal with paypal...

and look at this
iPhone X - 256GB - Silver - Verizon - A1865 See Pics - Back is cracked Display has one long scratch and a few smaller ones( Scratch - No Cracks in the display). Bottom , Top & Sides are in good condition. Works Great !!! 100% Battery Health No iCloud, phone or carrier locks. Ships Fast with USPS Priority - Tracking Included !! 100% Feedback - Buy with Confidence !!!

you have to be on the lookout that 95% of all phones on ebay are stolen, thats why phones like this

no icloud lock
no phone lock
no carrier lock

in the description.

just bought an older iphone x 256 from amazon renewed

and i'm sure you were saying smartwatch on the second part? currently fitbit and iphone watches monitor glucous with the approved app.

the Fitbit Versa 2 Health & Fitness Smartwatch with Heart Rate, Music, Alexa Built-in, Sleep & Swim Tracking, Bordeaux/Copper Rose, One Size (S & L Bands Included) is what they say works? don't know about the others, but it works with dexcom glucos software, but i guess you know more about that.

Borzak

Yeah smart watch sorry I need to edit that. Here's what they have for watches. I'm not sure. My phone runs the android version they list but not in the specific called out phones and it doesn.t work. It also list Ipad. That seems incrediably bulky. Might work for just at the house but you wouldn't want to bring it anywhere. NM it does list fitbit.

I asked my sister about the watches. She's the only person that I know uses one. She's kind of addicted to it. She can't go 30 seconds without playing with the watch while she's sitting around tlaking or eating so not sure she's the one to ask.

Guess watch would be nice in some ways. Has heartbeat monitor and my oximeter is dying from dead battery lol.

Android Watch OS
Android Wear OS: 2.0 - 2.9 (for compatible devices only)
Wear OS: 1.0 - 2.0 (for compatible devices only)
Apple watchOS
4.3.0 - 5.3.1 (for compatible devices only)

Apple Watch (requires a compatible smart device)
1st Generation, Series 1, Series 2, Series 3, Series 4

Fitbit Watch (requires a compatible smart device)
Versa

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah smart watch sorry I need to edit that. Here's what they have for watches. I'm not sure. My phone runs the android version they list but not in the specific called out phones and it doesn.t work. It also list Ipad. That seems incrediably bulky. Might work for just at the house but you wouldn't want to bring it anywhere. NM it does list fitbit.

I asked my sister about the watches. She's the only person that I know uses one. She's kind of addicted to it. She can't go 30 seconds without playing with the watch while she's sitting around tlaking or eating so not sure she's the one to ask.

Guess watch would be nice in some ways. Has heartbeat monitor and my oximeter is dying from dead battery lol.

Android Watch OS
Android Wear OS: 2.0 - 2.9 (for compatible devices only)
Wear OS: 1.0 - 2.0 (for compatible devices only)
Apple watchOS
4.3.0 - 5.3.1 (for compatible devices only)

Apple Watch (requires a compatible smart device)
1st Generation, Series 1, Series 2, Series 3, Series 4

Fitbit Watch (requires a compatible smart device)
Versa
yea thats the dexcom software i was talkin about lulz, i mean, me personally i've only had the fitbit devices and since fitbit bought pebble, the versa 2 is basically what you'd want as a pebble user. it's pretty cheap at 130bucks just yesterday it was 150$

if you want an apple watch, you really should get an iphone then too.

i currently have a amazfit bip watch, i only use it for running, check time and quickly set a timer or two, and of course for notifications.

Borzak

I'm going to look into the fitbit. My sister for some reason gives me gift cards to a vaiety of stores I normally don't shop at. I guess to be well rounded. I have one that would cover the versa or the versa lite and that store carries it lol.

Yeah I have an android phone. But an iphone would work because the only thing I would use it for is this. I almost never carry my android phone either. Just would use it at the house and maybe once every few months to take my data to the doctor. Thinking I could probably even use a phone without a sim maybe, not sure on that one.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

Might look at a smart watch. I'm not even sure how much the cheapest ones are. I'm not a watch person.

I got a Moto g7 power. Was 150$, battery is at 60% on day 3.

I'm digging it. All I use it for is GPS, FoH, texting, etc. A couple little games.

It's turned it to be a great phone imo

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm going to look into the fitbit. My sister for some reason gives me gift cards to a vaiety of stores I normally don't shop at. I guess to be well rounded. I have one that would cover the versa or the versa lite and that store carries it lol.

Yeah I have an android phone. But an iphone would work because the only thing I would use it for is this. I almost never carry my android phone either. Just would use it at the house and maybe once every few months to take my data to the doctor. Thinking I could probably even use a phone without a sim maybe, not sure on that one.
i would double check on support to see if the versa LITE supports the software, it seems like it does, since non of the left out stuff would affect it, but who knows

ce46bbc44e122523fa5de35ff72960f3.png

Borzak

Yeah I watched a youtube video and they were using the lite. Nothing on the other that's not on the lite I would need.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I just used my mom's iPhone 11 to take some pictures and this thing is fucking awesome. I don't use iPhones, though. What's the best option for an android phone, solely based on camera(s)? Is there a good android phone that has dual/trip cameras?

Most of my job revolves around photos, so I'd really love to have a phone that's as close to a DSLR as possible. 2x or 3x cameras like that in a single device would be a game changer for me.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I just used my mom's iPhone 11 to take some pictures and this thing is fucking awesome. I don't use iPhones, though. What's the best option for an android phone, solely based on camera(s)? Is there a good android phone that has dual/trip cameras?

Most of my job revolves around photos, so I'd really love to have a phone that's as close to a DSLR as possible. 2x or 3x cameras like that in a single device would be a game changer for me.
Linus Tech Tips has a tendency to look at and compare cameras a lot in phone reviews. Look up his iphone 11 one (there might be a second one later where he goes back to it), he compares the camera to 3 other phones

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think the Pixel 4 has a top notch camera.
Yeah but it's shit in every other possible way.

Not having a fingerprint scanner and forcing you to use face unlock is fucking retarded.

• 1Solidarity