Smartphones

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Rip

Updated to Android 14 and my Swype keyboard which I've had installed for 10 years and stopped development years ago, finally stopped working

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Rip

Updated to Android 14 and my Swype keyboard which I've had installed for 10 years and stopped development years ago, finally stopped working
gboard is just as good, i use it on my watch

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Nah, I can't hold down letters to get their foreign variants. Ãàæ or can't do it to get the funny polish L that is actually a w
Swiftkey? It's pretty customizable. I don't use accented characters, so, don't know for sure how well that aspect works.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
lol. After 5 seconds with a new phone you'll be like "rear finger who?"

I just ordered the 8 pro. Shame the pre order offer this year is so weak. I already have a fitbit charge 5 so can't see myself swapping a device that requires weekly charge for one that requires a daily charge. All I want is the fitness stuff

Anyone find smart watches actually useful?
This is a massive lie. I have a Galaxy S22+ and the under screen fingerprint reader is fucking shit. Facial recognition is okay, but doesn't work for shit in low light conditions and really cares about the angle of your face in relation to the scanner.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This is a massive lie. I have a Galaxy S22+ and the under screen fingerprint reader is fucking shit. Facial recognition is okay, but doesn't work for shit in low light conditions and really cares about the angle of your face in relation to the scanner.
I went to iPhone after my 2XL, so I can’t comment on any other facial recognition. Actually, my S6 lite has it but it’s pretty hit and miss.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Lie? It's my subjective experience. Typical idiocy from you. I'll add fingerprint readers along with carbs to things that are your Kryptonite, except you're not a Kryptonian just an Idiotonian.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Anyone got a suggestion for quality air pod alternatives? I lost mine in the house and don’t want to buy the apple brand again because I know I’ll find them. But looking for a quality blue tooth alternative bud that isn’t the shitty ray J ones

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone got a suggestion for quality air pod alternatives? I lost mine in the house and don’t want to buy the apple brand again because I know I’ll find them. But looking for a quality blue tooth alternative bud that isn’t the shitty ray J ones
were they zero battery and you couldn't find em w/ the app?

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
were they zero battery and you couldn't find em w/ the app?

I have the model that doesn’t beep when they are in the case. They are somewhere in my house and offline now and I’m sure my kids hid them somewhere stupid

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Airpods might be the worst earbuds Ive ever had. They constantly "die" after 30 mins of use. Put them back in the charger at it says they are 80% and work again. Ive tried every Google hack to fix it and nothing works.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Airpods might be the worst earbuds Ive ever had. They constantly "die" after 30 mins of use. Put them back in the charger at it says they are 80% and work again. Ive tried every Google hack to fix it and nothing works.
I never had that issue with my gen 2. Upgraded to Pro 2 for more battery life and comfort. The different sound cancellation modes are nice as is spatial audio. Significantly better sounding than the gen 2.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wife close to wanting to get her phone replaced, she's somehow become focused on the Fold 5

My impression of fold phones was good luck with a case and that they'd not hold up long term as well. Her last phone lasted at least 4-5 years.

Any good way to talk her out of it or should I stop being old fashioned and say fuck it. If nothing else her choosing so verging she can upgrade thru Verizon for cheap would be better than spending a grand.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Wife close to wanting to get her phone replaced, she's somehow become focused on the Fold 5

My impression of fold phones was good luck with a case and that they'd not hold up long term as well. Her last phone lasted at least 4-5 years.

Any good way to talk her out of it or should I stop being old fashioned and say fuck it. If nothing else her choosing so verging she can upgrade thru Verizon for cheap would be better than spending a grand.
dave-chappelle-charlie-murphy.gif

I dunno I just can't stand the crease and the dual size ones are so heavy and clunky. The pricing is just the final nail in the coffin.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>

I bought the Galaxy flip 5 a month ago and so far it's great. I'm nervous about the screen but having a small box in my pocket kicks ass over having a gigantic phone. The Fold 5 just seems to have all the drawbacks of a gigantic phone with few of the bonuses. I get that women have purses though so maybe there's that. But 1700 is a lot, a whole lot for a phone. Honestly I had an issue with the almost 1k for my phone and wouldn't have done it if I didn't get the wife a s23 ultra for 350 with trade in.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

A friend of mine has a fold 5 and it is a nice phone. It feels very solid and well built and he does have a case for it. How well it will hold up over time though?

If I ever get a folding phone, I'd rather get something like the flip. That make a lot more sense to me unless you absolutely need the huge screen.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This has nothing to do with the Fold conversation, but since I saw the thread was bumped, I've had my Pixel 8 Pro for a couple weeks now. I'm getting used to the face unlock, but no amount of time is ever going to convince me that it is better than the rear fingerprint reader. To hold the phone up to my face I obviously have to hold it, and I could have already had it unlocked with my finger. I guess if it is lying on a table and I can hover my face over it without having to stand up might be the one use case where I would save effort?

Furthermore, unless I missed somewhere that I can just have it completely unlock with my face (which I get why they don't want that to happen, as it would open if I were just checking the time for example), I still have to physically swipe it to fully unlock, and even if I do a one-handed thumb swipe (potentially dropping it), again I could have had it unlocked long ago with just the rear finger.

A perfect example is the McDonald's app in the morning for breakfast. I place the order before I get in the car, then drive to McD's. You have to give the code on the screen when ordering. Previously I would just have it sitting in my center console and reach down behind it with my finger as I was pulling in and it would unlock and I could see the code without doing anything else. Now if I use the face unlock, I have to pick it up and hold it near my face, and I still have to swipe and unlock it. Unless it is dark out like this time of year and the face unlock doesn't work, so I have to use my thumb. In theory, since the thumb fully unlocks it, I could use my thumb almost as easily as I used to with my finger on the back, except that I have to wait until I am stopped to do that because I can't just "feel" the right spot for the thumb like I could with the indentation for the finger on the back, I actually have to look at it.

Everything else about the phone is fucking great (although I might be biased since I'm almost 6 years behind on phone tech) and the transfer process was so seamless that I still have trouble believing it (again, haven't done it in 6 years so I'm likely way behind on that too). It is obviously much faster, battery life seems pretty good too, and the wireless charging works great for a change. But you'll never convince me that any of this new bullshit is better than the rear fingerprint reader.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users