Smartphones

Cor_sl

shitlord
This complaint about micro usb is on the same level with the people who complained about Lumia 920's weight. Retarded.

Regarding kernel, you're probably not getting more battery life unless you are currently underclocking. Having used so many Android phones, stock kernels are generally the best battery life because of the slim builds and without useless features. People give OEM way too little credit in this regard.
It's not a dealbreaker. It's just an annoying niggle. I think, had I not used my brothers iPhone 5, I wouldn't even list it as a complaint. It's just hard to deny that Apple's lightning connector is a far better design than micro usb.

Nah, I haven't underclocked or anything. My screen on time has gone from 3 hours to 5hr15m with a custom kernel. It's a HUGE difference. I've heard that underclocking the cpu and gpu can increase that to 6h but I don't want to mess around with that stuff.

I don't see what's wrong with the Lumia 920 weight complaint, either. Different people have different preferences when it comes to phone design. I, personally, prefer lighter and thinner phones so I'd probably get an 8x over a Lumia 920. Others don't mind the weight so they get the 920. Choice is good.

How? The bottom of the connector has pins on it, as long as you look at it or feel it with your finger before you insert it, it should always go in correctly...
I know what you're saying.. But I still fuck it up. And so do most of the people I've mentioned the issue to. Again, had I not used a lightning connector for a while, I probably wouldn't even mention it. But, Apple's design IS better and I hope more cables are reversible in the future.

Nothing that can't be solved by buying a bunch of cables or adapters. It sucks in that every iPhone accessory I had uses the old cable type (e.g. clock radio, camera kit). There are likely new devices that use the lightning connector, or there will be at some point, but the old ones aren't broken, so why would I replace them?

Hopefully a connector adapter will work for all of the devices I already have.
Ahh, I never bought any docks or other accessories so I guess it was less of an issue for me. Yeah, I can definitely see that being a problem.

Cor_sl

shitlord
I don't think anyone is saying the lightning adapter is not good... it's just not 30 dollars per cable good.
I did a quick search on Google and found the official Apple one on the Apple store for ?15($20) and third party cables from China for ?2.69 ($4.35). Not that expensive.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I did a quick search on Google and found the official Apple one on the Apple store for ?15($20) and third party cables from China for ?2.69 ($4.35). Not that expensive.
Even at $20, it was still a huge dick move by Apple to cash grab from the lightning cables and adapters. I have 5 cables all around the house and work that I constantly use. The 3rd party cables only alleviate the problem. What if I get a dud and fries my phone? Very rare but I've seen that happen.

The proper way of introducing the lightning cable is to allow all customers who buy an iPhone 5 to exchange one of their old cables for the new lightning cable and not release an overpriced piece of junk adapter. People would have praised Apple instead.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think it's the adapter that's $30, not the cables.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Aren't 3rd party cables impossible to use because of some microchip apple put in the connector or has that been backward engineered?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Aren't 3rd party cables impossible to use because of some microchip apple put in the connector or has that been backward engineered?
I know that was holding up the release of reliable 3rd party cables when the iPhone 5 first released, but I haven't kept up on the subject to see if 3rd parties have already jumped that hurdle or not. From the article I read about it a while back, a 3rd party cable "could" work for some functions without the chip, but it's a crapshoot.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Using the Nexus 4 for a short while, I am not seeing any problems other users are experiencing. No buzzing from ear piece (but some users have said they can come after awhile), no GPS problems, no touch screen sensitivity issues, etc.

Pretty awesome phone. The screen is pretty good too coming from the HOX.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Oh, nothing at all, I think it was just taking them a while to reverse-engineer it when it first came out.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Using the Nexus 4 for a short while, I am not seeing any problems other users are experiencing. No buzzing from ear piece (but some users have said they can come after awhile), no GPS problems, no touch screen sensitivity issues, etc.

Pretty awesome phone. The screen is pretty good too coming from the HOX.
Same here, mine is perfect apart from the ring volume is a little low.

fris

Vyemm Raider
anyone know when the next android phone is coming to sprint? i'm debating the note2 or galaxy3 but could hold out for a month or 3 if the next gen is about to it. i really want the nexus but i'm stuck on sprint

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I wish they would go with how they made the Galaxy Nexus and have no physical button on the front of the phone at all. That is absolutely one of my favorite features of the Nexus.