Smartphones

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've been living in the stone age for a long time. I never really wanted a smart phone, but now if you go to any phone store they sell a ton of smart phones and then like 3 "regular" phones for you to choose from. I basically had to pick a LG Cosmos 2 because it was literally all Verizon had to offer me. That phone is biting the dick now, so I may be forced to upgrade to a smart phone.

Does anyone know if Verizon offers any sort of family data plan package thing? I'm on a family plan with my fiance and her mother, so our bill is pretty cheap. If we could get some sort of cheaper family plan, they could upgrade as well. If it's cheaper for us all to get individual data plans though, I might go with that. I'd probably only use it for emails and occasional web browsing as I am usually at a computer all day long for work.

Also, I don't want an iPhone, so what Droid's right now that Verizon offers are the best bang for the buck?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's all they offer. It's the cell phone companies' way of getting rid of grandfathered unlimited data plans(on VZW, can't take advantage of new 2 year subsidy without getting off unlimited data plan) AND charging more per gigabyte AND calling it a great new feature.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yes I used to have an unlimited data plan when smart phones first came out (had a palm something from Sprint). They warned me about getting a new phone.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Why not just buy a cheap phone wholesale? It'll be more expensive immediately, but you can likely just get a new SIM on your existing plan and continue to pay the same without changing anything. That's how it's worked for me on Rogers in Canada, anyway.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't believe this one for a second. Ranks up there with the pre-iPhone 4 rumour of a slide-out keyboard.
I don't really believe it either... well, the color thing at least.

iPad and iPad mini leads me to believe that they could be convinced to make two different sized phones, although it would be better if the bigger one was equal in size to the Galaxy

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
iPad and iPad mini leads me to believe that they could be convinced to make two different sized phones, although it would be better if the bigger one was equal in size to the Galaxy
Yeah, I can see it happening, but after the language of Apple's recent claims in court (vs Samsung in particular), I'd find it hard to understand if they developed a product that had the same form factor as the S3/Note/Note 2. Unless they want to stay in court for the rest of the century, anyway.

I'd buy it in an instant though. So, hey, here's hoping.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Why is the color thing so far fetched? iPods have come in a rainbow of colors for awhile now, I can totally see them doing the same thing for phones with younger and younger kids now owning them.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
They've had massive issues with light leaking through the various cases they've made. Unless they've solved this, I can't see them using those case designs. It's pretty far-fetched.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Also, I don't want an iPhone, so what Droid's right now that Verizon offers are the best bang for the buck?
The Galaxy Nexus is still a pretty solid phone and it has Jelly Bean which is more than a lot of higher end phones can say. I think it's $50 on contract or possibly free now.

Cor_sl

shitlord
My guess is that LG doesn't want to devote much production to a part with such small profit margins.
Yeah, agreed. I doubt Google wants to sell the phones at a loss, either.

It does make me wonder what their launch day allocation was, though. 100k worldwide, maybe? It makes all the 'Nexus 4 sold out in 30 minutes!' articles dumb in retrospect.

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have suggestions or feedback on Screen Protectors and Cases for the Nexus 4? I'm thinking about going with the skinomi wrap and a poetic bumper, but I'm open to getting a more protective case.

SekaiX_sl

shitlord
Still rocking the Galaxy Nexus here. There's something about no physical buttons and stock jelly bean that does it. Not to mention always getting the latest updates asap.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Anyone have suggestions or feedback on Screen Protectors and Cases for the Nexus 4? I'm thinking about going with the skinomi wrap and a poetic bumper, but I'm open to getting a more protective case.
I love my poetic bumper but I took off my skinomi because it caused too much friction. The Gorilla Glass 2 just feels so smooth I hate to cover it with anything.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Yeah, agreed. I doubt Google wants to sell the phones at a loss, either.

It does make me wonder what their launch day allocation was, though. 100k worldwide, maybe? It makes all the 'Nexus 4 sold out in 30 minutes!' articles dumb in retrospect.
I read an article on it yesterday that basically said they're happy not selling too many of these. Low numbers keep them off the Apple sue boat radar and they don't piss off providers with their dirt cheap superphone meaning everyone goes sim only.

I am very glad I got one though, it's such a nice phone in every way.