Smartphones

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So, a month into trying out the iOS ecosystem again, I'm unsure if it is the right thing for me personally. I jumped in both feet and swapped out usage of my Nexus 5 and 7 to using a 2nd gen ipad mini w/ retina and an iphone 6.

My first impressions are that Android still feels like it has a better workflow, and placement of apps when adhering to Google's design specs feels more natural to me. Small things like the "Update All" button in the app store on both devices is in different places, the CC being a bit finicky to pull up on the iphone, and BT not connecting straight away with my car adapter.

On the plus side of things, the iphone has an absolutely amazing standby time. I generally don't use my phone a TON, but I'm routinely able to make it through two days of normal usage for me, since when I do any kind of reading, it'll be on my laptop or tablet. The screen is beautiful and vibrant, but this isn't something that was unexpected. Apple has been praised by their displays, and rightfully so.

Putting devices next to one another, I still prefer using the older Nexus 5 over the iphone 6. If there were many newer sub 5" flagship specced Android devices out there, I'd likely consider one. I don't care for a huge phone, and I always carry around an external battery since I have so many devices I can power from it. Battery life is great and all, but being able to just plug in a qi charger wherever and throw my phone on it alleviated any issues I've had with a year and a half old phone and the battery showing some signs of age.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I walked into the Verizon store a little before lunch to avoid the rush, and about 8 employees were wandering around waiting to help. 6 dudes that looked fairly nerdy and competent, 1 decent looking chick...and an ugly fat chick with big spacers in her earlobes, cats eye glasses, and hipster clothes. She pounced on me. It would have been ok if she knew what she was doing, but almost everything I asked her she had to go ask someone else.

They couldn't fix it, because apparently their tech support is limited to whatever the sales reps can google, so they had to put in a warranty claim. Fortunately(?) I pay for the insurance so they will overnight the replacement. More fortunately, I thought to ask about the fact that tomorrow is Saturday. Nope, Saturday delivery is $20 extra. I told her that's ridiculous, so she checked with her manager and they agreed to split it with me. Ridiculous, but whatever, I'm not waiting until Monday without a phone. I also asked if they could just give me one of the phones from the store as a replacement, but for whatever reason that's not possible either, it has to go through the delivery process.

Prior to that I asked about upgrading, and that's a no go as well since I can't turn in a non-operable phone on an upgrade. Which means I have to wait until I get the phone tomorrow, send in my broken phone, and take the new one back into the store I was just at for an upgrade if I choose. Or do the online upgrade and have that one sent out Monday to get whenever. I even tried to manipulate the system by asking if I could just file the warranty claim, and at the same time process the upgrade claim, meaning they'd send me two phones at the same time and I'd just send back the proper one to each. Nope, once you file a warranty claim it pretty much holds up any further actions until that is resolved.

In the grand scheme of things it isn't that big of a deal, and I'm not tied to my phone like some people that conduct almost their entire business via a cell phone, but in this day and age it still seems a bit strange that someone could be without their phone from Thursday night to Monday afternoon unless they pay extra for Saturday delivery. Or can't at least walk out of the store with a temp phone.

On a brighter Note (get it, Note?!), the Note 4/Edge fits in my pocket just fine. Obviously a little more bulky than my old phone, but I can still sit and bend down comfortably. Now I just have to decide if I want the Edge or not. I looked at it and it is kind of cool, I'm not gonna lie. And I don't think accidentally hitting buttons will be a problem. Holding it is still fairly comfortable and easy and your fingers shouldn't hit them during normal use. However, you can do the exact same thing on the Note 4 (having a strip at the edge for notifications and icons), it just isn't hanging over the edge is all. On the Verizon payment plan it is only like $3 more a month for the Edge, so I might just do it, but if I were paying the lump sum up front I'm not sure it is worth $100 extra. What cases are available for the Edge will probably sway my decision the most.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
HTC One M9 Plus Photos Leak | BGR

Leak about a HTC one plus.

According to the report, the HTC One M9 Plus includes a 5.2-inch quad HD display, a 2.0GHz octa-core processor from MediaTek or a Snapdragon 810 processor depending on the region, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage and a fingerprint scanner.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm Jewish. If they're rustling your jimmies, I whole-heartedly approve.

Since we all know each other, though, I'll pass the message on, k?
I'll ship them a box of 128gb flash cards and some yamakas. Not sure they'll get the message.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's yarmulke for the spelling believe it or not. Jewish spellings are such a pain in the ass.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You have no idea. It gets even better when you're talking to several generations of Yiddish speakers who all spell shit differently.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Moved the Apple watch conversation from this thread to the Smartwatches thread.

So if you're still interested in that argument go there.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's really amazing the amount of upgrades sprint has done in my area in terms of coverage over the past 6 months... really happy I switched from ATT, I travel around a lot, the day I got my iphone 6, coverage was spotty and signal was bad unless you were in a few very specific areas, I was kinda "iffy" on switching the sprint, but I figured it was worth it just to pay 50% as much as ATT.... today almost everywhere I get a pretty damned good signal now, the 3g is much faster and actually usable now whereas when I got my phone it just plain didn't work, if I was in a 3G coverage area... my phone might as well have been zero data connection, but LTE is now pretty much everywhere I drive outside, and much better off than it was just a few months ago. It went from dead spots everywhere... to now I am shocked when I notice a dead spot, because it's so far out of the ordinary. Just hope that 800 mhz finally gives me a decent non-spotty LTE signal inside my house, supposedly people are reporting actually getting 800mhz signals on their phone, I guess being out in the boonies is less important of a priority than downtown though.

Tenks

I'm probably going to upgrade my iPhone5 sometime soon. I'm not married to one ecosystem or another but it does feel like the iPhone's hardware is more stable than the Android phones my wife has owned. What is the current non-biased opinion on the two options at this point? When is the iPhone ready for it's eventualy iPhone6 gooderer upgrade?

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I'm probably going to upgrade my iPhone5 sometime soon. I'm not married to one ecosystem or another but it does feel like the iPhone's hardware is more stable than the Android phones my wife has owned. What is the current non-biased opinion on the two options at this point? When is the iPhone ready for it's eventualy iPhone6 gooderer upgrade?
Iphone's generally get upgraded in September, so not too far away. Rumor is the next version will include 2GB of ram, be the same size as the 6/6+, have something similar to the force touch that the new macbooks just got, and most importantly, potentially come in pink.

I'm a bit biased, but what I love most about iOS is if you live near an Apple store, getting the phone serviced/replaced is easy compared to dealing with (from my experiances) the retailers like Best Buy, or the carriers.

Tenks

I'd probably need to upgrade before September. How much RAM does the current iPhone6 have? I also do really like that my SMS/MMS comes to my laptop when I'm on my Mac via iMesage. Another feature I'd lose moving to Android. But I do love the Nexus devices. I prefer my Nexus tablet to iPad for sure.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I also do really like that my SMS/MMS comes to my laptop when I'm on my Mac via iMesage. Another feature I'd lose moving to Android.
You can do the same thing with Android using hangouts.

Tenks

You can do the same thing with Android using hangouts.
It is more in regard to most people at my office use iMessage to communicate since we have OSX machines. So it is nice that when I get an iMessage it also goes to my phone if I'm away from the computer. Knowing Apple they wouldn't let Android latch into the iMessage to forward to my phone if it isn't an iPhone but I could be wrong.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Hangouts for iOS had VOIP calling a good 6 months before Android.

Though, not sure I'd want to talk about programming on my phone anyway.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Let's not do the iOS vs. Android thing. No one wins.

The 6/6+ have 1GB of RAM. Unless you open a thousand tabs in Safari, it's fine.

Knowing Apple they wouldn't let Android latch into the iMessage to forward to my phone if it isn't an iPhone but I could be wrong.
This is only doable through some extremely shady third-party gateways that are basically iMessage proxies that require your Apple ID. I wouldn't use one if you value your Apple ID.