Smartphones

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Not to throw tech support 101 at you, but when was the last time you did a reset? Reinstall?

My 6+ was having similar issues when I first got it (and loaded my 5's backup onto it), reinstall and restore cleared it right up.

If it's still failing after that, go into a store (if possible) and bitch. Don't call Applecare, because when it comes to ios, there is very little they can actually do. It boils down to

Restart
Reset
Restore
Resintall
Reapir

They'll make you do the reset/reinstall, then set up an appointment for you. Just skip all that and go right to the store. Be a (polite) pain in their ass and the genius will try and make something happen for you. Just dont go in there cursing and making his life hell, because then he'll tell his manager you are a dick and you'll get he final "no" and told to fuck off.

Since iOs 8.2 just came out, everyone gets 30 days of free support.
I haven't done a reinstall, might try it out and see if it helps. I just really don't think Apple will do anything if I take my phone in and say it's slow and reloads everything all the time.

The bottom two complaints don't have anything to do with the device so much as the OS

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I need an emergency phone to put in an elevator. Anyone know a good cellphone with a one time prepaid plan option? (which doesn't expire or atleast has multi year before exp date)??

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I haven't done a reinstall, might try it out and see if it helps. I just really don't think Apple will do anything if I take my phone in and say it's slow and reloads everything all the time.

The bottom two complaints don't have anything to do with the device so much as the OS
Feel bad for you man. I'm on the 5s, and never have any of these problems. Browsing has been just fine. Granted, I don't go to a lot of different websites, but still. I'd be pretty pissed off at my phone if it was acting like yours. Hope you get it fixed.

Vaclav

I need an emergency phone to put in an elevator. Anyone know a good cellphone with a one time prepaid plan option? (which doesn't expire or atleast has multi year before exp date)??
No clue, but most cell phones don't work well in elevators.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife

You might be surprised, especially if you are a constant,but again polite, pain in their butt. They wont help with third party browsers, but if Safari and general performance sucks, eventually they should do something.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Need to get the wife a new phone. I'm still loving my 2014 Moto X, and at Free/$50 with more storage, I'm thinking it will be the best upgrade for her too.

Are there any other Androids out there that will beat it at that price point now or in the near future?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't think there's any other "free" phone that will be really much of an upgrade from the Moto X unless she is really hung up on a certain aspect like the camera.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Pretty great deal for people who are looking to get off of a contract based phone. Looks as though Moto is selling one of their Moto X Pure Editions and you get a free (newly released) Moto E as well.

Online Specials and Sales - Motorola

The E is great for someone who wants a really basic smartphone with a microSD card slot in it for media storage. The cameras on it are pretty lackluster, but this looks like a fantastic deal.

Vaclav

And if folks haven't heard - HTC starting with the M9 is going even more in on the "free repair" thing now, apparently almost any reasonable accidental repairs (cracked screen and water damage [and carrier switch!] directly quoted as being covered - vs just cracked for M8 era) needed in the first 12 months are free (not 6 this time) - and if you don't end up needing to use the repair/carrier change, they'll give you a coupon for $100 towards the next HTC One you'd get.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think my next smart phone is going to be a Motorola. When does the next Moto X release?

Mageling

I think my next smart phone is going to be a Motorola. When does the next Moto X release?
There isn't a whole lot of information about this just yet, as Lenovo acquired the mobile division last year. If they retain the same release schedule, it will likely be August-October.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
They threw a bone to the Droid Turbo users waiting on Lollipop still and said we'll be going straight to 5.1. Yay I guess.

Tenks

So the Galaxy S6 looks pretty nice and releases soon. Are there any good pre-release reviews for it? Wikipedia seems to say it is overall positive. I haven't been able to find MSRP.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was hashed out a couple pages back. Consensus is you are losing 3 big features from the S5: No more swappable battery, no more micro-SD slot for adding your own storage), and no more water resistance. All for a higher price.

I am happily keeping my S5 for the forseeable future.

Mageling

It was hashed out a couple pages back. Consensus is you are losing 3 big features from the S5: No more swappable battery, no more micro-SD slot for adding your own storage), and no more water resistance. All for a higher price.

I am happily keeping my S5 for the forseeable future.
To be fair, you're also getting a much better build quality, metal frame, qi charging and up to 128GB internal storage. While this may not seem like a bonus to some people, the overall reviews have been overwhelmingly positive about the build quality and say that the phone feels as though it has the proper heft in comparison to the plastic Galaxy S of old.

Tenks

Also what is the deal with the S6 Edge? Is there an actual point to the curved screen?

Siliconemelons

Also what is the deal with the S6 Edge? Is there an actual point to the curved screen?
I think on the single edge screen (note edge?) that the edge part was "bigger" and would be a notification area etc. on the dual curved one it looks like its just the "main screen" on all the curved part...so...its..curved?

rumors, crappy pics etc. suggests that the s6 edge is going to be the core of the new BlackBerry slider.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I think I'd be a fan of the whole "edge" concept if it actually equaled more screen space, but it doesn't, which I don't understand. If you had to stop at the side bezel before, add more screen and wrap it around the side

Note 4 = 5.7" Screen 1440x2560
Note 4 Edge = 5.6" Screen 1600x2560 resolution

Galaxy S6 = 5.1" Screen 1440x2560
Galaxy S6 Edge = 5.1" Screen 1440x2560

so in both instances, you are actually LOSING flat/front screen size for the addition of the edge/slanted screen. Not worth it IMHO.

If it was an extra 5-10% of screen space, then it might be worth it, but I'm definitely not sacrificing screen real estate for the sake of that notification bar on the side.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
It just looks way snazzier than the normal model and it's the best looking phone Samsung has ever made, though that's not saying much. So really it's more of an aesthetics/exclusivity thing than a functionality one.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Everyone is saying the S6 camera is out of this world also.