Smartphones

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The biggest issues I had with Android were battery life and OS updates were almost nonexistent.
My Note 3 with original battery still lasts longer then the wifes iphone 6.

Speaking of my Note 3, it's time to upgrade, anyone using the Note 4 Edge?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The biggest issues I had with Android were battery life and OS updates were almost nonexistent.
My Galaxy S5 can go all day with moderate use and still usually end up with about 40-50% battery at the end of the day.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
I think the only issue with android is the "fragmentation". The fact that Samsung and Verizon both feel the need to destroy android annoys me.. I really think this is the last major change google needs to make with the os.

Everyone I have had switch from ios to android lately has been amazed how easy it is. I think there are still a lot of iOS users that think android is some infant os that takes "rooting" to get it work

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My Note 3 with original battery still lasts longer then the wifes iphone 6.

Speaking of my Note 3, it's time to upgrade, anyone using the Note 4 Edge?
I'm still using a Note 3, I looked at the Note 4 Edge pretty seriously, but decided against it, mainly due to the fact that the Note 4 Edge screen is actually overall a tad smaller than the Note 3, and by the time you account for the side bezel, the "main" part of the screen, facing forward, is quite a bit smaller than the Note 3. Now, the Edge is a higher resolution screen, but I didn't want to go to a smaller screen at all.

From the official Samsung specs:

Note 3 = 5.7" 1080x1920
Note 4 = 5.7" 1440x2560
Note 4E = 5.6" 1600x2560

I can't quite fathom why the Note 4E is actually smaller than the other two, unless for some reason the screen measurement doesn't account for the side bezel at all? But the resolution definitely does, so I wouldn't think they wouldn't count the edge into the measurement.

All things considered, if the 4 Edge were the same price as the 4 I might consider it, but I'm definitely not paying $100 more for less screen size than the 4. I think the standard 4 would still be the better upgrade choice coming from a 3, but at this point I'm going to hold out and see what the Note 5 looks like, it's only 4-5 months away from an announcement

Also, FWIW, the Note Edge uses Gorilla Glass 3, same as the Note 3, but the Note 4 uses Gorilla Glass 4. Its almost like the Note Edge is a phone that is in-between the 3 and 4, technology-wise, rather than an upgrade from the 4. I think the Note 4 is the current best *large* Android phone available.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
All of the manufacturers are pulling back on how much customization that they put on Android, even Samsung. Also, I don't really see any issues with "fragmentation" any more. You might not be on the latest version, but the bugs are worked out of it enough at this point that you don't care. I don't even know if my phone has the latest version of Android or not. Who cares?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm still using a Note 3, I looked at the Note 4 Edge pretty seriously, but decided against it, mainly due to the fact that the Note 4 Edge screen is actually overall a tad smaller than the Note 3, and by the time you account for the side bezel, the "main" part of the screen, facing forward, is quite a bit smaller than the Note 3. Now, the Edge is a higher resolution screen, but I didn't want to go to a smaller screen at all.

From the official Samsung specs:

Note 3 = 5.7" 1080x1920
Note 4 = 5.7" 1440x2560
Note 4E = 5.6" 1600x2560

I can't quite fathom why the Note 4E is actually smaller than the other two, unless for some reason the screen measurement doesn't account for the side bezel at all? But the resolution definitely does, so I wouldn't think they wouldn't count the edge into the measurement.

All things considered, if the 4 Edge were the same price as the 4 I might consider it, but I'm definitely not paying $100 more for less screen size than the 4. I think the standard 4 would still be the better upgrade choice coming from a 3, but at this point I'm going to hold out and see what the Note 5 looks like, it's only 4-5 months away from an announcement

Also, FWIW, the Note Edge uses Gorilla Glass 3, same as the Note 3, but the Note 4 uses Gorilla Glass 4. Its almost like the Note Edge is a phone that is in-between the 3 and 4, technology-wise, rather than an upgrade from the 4. I think the Note 4 is the current best *large* Android phone available.
Appreciate the write up, good info in there.

I was debating on waiting for the 5 but the GPS in my phone doesn't work anymore across all apps so I don't think I can wait much longer.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
All of the manufacturers are pulling back on how much customization that they put on Android, even Samsung. Also, I don't really see any issues with "fragmentation" any more. You might not be on the latest version, but the bugs are worked out of it enough at this point that you don't care. I don't even know if my phone has the latest version of Android or not. Who cares?
It is true that carrier skins are becoming less common but hardware fragmentation is still an issue, it's pretty much the reason why most Android devices get OS upgrades so sparingly.

Edit: After thinking about it fragmentation is not the correct word to use here but variety of hardware? Anyways my point stands and I think thats still an issue with Android devices. Still liking my OPO with lollipop though!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Non standardized hardware is also why apps come later for Android than iOS generally. When you program to iOS you really only have a couple of hardware platforms to test on and make sure your code performs on. With Android you need a bunch more testing and possible code optimization.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I think a big reason apps come to iOS first is that those users are more likely to either purchase the app or spend money on in-app purchases.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Both of you are right.

There is little to no variation in the Apple world. It's easier to write apps and know how they'll perform on everything. It's also true that minus jailbreaking and loading .ipa files yourself, there is no way to pirate apps on iOS, and if you miss the jailbreak window (which is fairly likely these days), you have no choice but to buy what you want. For the record, that's not a bad thing. App piracy for 99 cent apps? Fuck right off.

Tenks

I think a big reason apps come to iOS first is that those users are more likely to either purchase the app or spend money on in-app purchases.
I can't speak for everyone and I don't know about large companies but I know the people I work with who develop (or used to .. seems almost everyone has stopped) apps on the side did it because all they needed was one phone to do it. My friend had a company doing some digital signage distro and he was constantly bitching about having to buy yet another Android phone to test to make sure his application works properly on that hardware platform. But with iOS he just needed (at the time) an iPhone 3 & 4.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I had read a while back the Note 4 was getting a faster processor or some kind of refresh? Is this going along with the release of the Note 4E?

How the hell do you decide when to upgrade? No matter when, there is always a new phone on the horizon. I'm tempted to give the Note 4 a shot, and check out what a modern Android experience is all about these days.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It is true that carrier skins are becoming less common but hardware fragmentation is still an issue, it's pretty much the reason why most Android devices get OS upgrades so sparingly.

Edit: After thinking about it fragmentation is not the correct word to use here but variety of hardware? Anyways my point stands and I think thats still an issue with Android devices. Still liking my OPO with lollipop though!
Thats called carriers are shit and think OS upgrades are perks of a new phone, not a basic tenant of owning a modern phone.

fris

Vyemm Raider
am i alone in the android world in not being affected by this fragmentation? maybe it's cause i've been getting whatever flagship device was out at the time. my M7 is running latest android and is about 2 & 1/2 years old. i'm probably picking up the s6 tomorrow. there's only been a few game apps that were out on IOS first that bothered me. my phone is personal so I might not know the productivity apps that aren't on both.

i've rooted my nexus 7 2013 tablet just to play around, i haven't 'needed' to root it nor have i w/ any of my recent phones. seems iphone users assume andoid users were root/jailbreaking as much as they were. w/ early iphones, almost EVERYONE jailbroke. rooting on andoids was only done by teh power users and those wanting to 'build' their own os.

Mageling

Biggest disadvantage for me for android that you didn't mention is fragmentation and updates.

I don't really have to worry about updates going through the device manufacturer, or whether it will get updated at all.

I have an iPhone but my next phone won't be one
True. Updates are much quicker when using an iOS device, though you can sidestep this with Android by going with something like a Nexus device or someone like Motorola. They've really stepped up their game when it comes to OS updates by moving most of the applications to downloads and allowing a much quicker rollout of upgrades.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's true, I just don't care anymore. It seems like the days where new versions of android were dramatic enough that I could really get pissed off that I didn't have the latest version are in the past for the most part but maybe I just pay less attention to the new features now.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's true, I just don't care anymore. It seems like the days where new versions of android were dramatic enough that I could really get pissed off that I didn't have the latest version are in the past for the most part but maybe I just pay less attention to the new features now.
My Nexus 5 got the 5.1 update a few days ago. I didn't even know it was coming and after I looked up the new features, I didn't feel it was worth 0.1 increment. Part of me wanted to not upgrade in fear of some app incompatibility causing battery drain.

Mageling

My Nexus 5 got the 5.1 update a few days ago. I didn't even know it was coming and after I looked up the new features, I didn't feel it was worth 0.1 increment. Part of me wanted to not upgrade in fear of some app incompatibility causing battery drain.
Rightfully so. It appears some people are struggling with issues related to both the 5.0 and 5.1 update on their Nexus 7 and Nexus 5 devices, causing a hard brick when trying to erase either the Cache or Userdata partitions. I haven't seen this issue personally, but had a friend bring this to light last week when his Nexus 7 shit the bed. Apparently Asus is telling people that it is a Google problem, and Google is telling users that it is an Asus problem. Either way, people are seeing logic board failures, but I'm unsure how that can happen with a software update.

Either way, here is just about the only link reporting it so far. More info can be found by looking up the Twitter hashtag #NEXUS7BRICKED.

Several users reporting Nexus 7 devices following Lollipop OTA updates, Nexus 5 seemingly affected too | 9to5Google

Google Groups