Smartphones

Dkbago_sl

shitlord
Can't you disable the autoplay on the videos, though? I haven't searched for that setting on the app, but it should be in there somewhere.

Inque

FunEmployed
You can, go to settings, video (or general, whatever, it's there somewhere) and you can select Yes/No on auto play.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Quite interested in project fi as I rarely use mobile data since coverage in my area sucks no matter which provider you use. My issue is the fucking brick size phone you have to use. Think I'd have to buy new clothes just for it to fit in my pocket

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I found out on my wife's iPhone that Netflix was doing shit at all hours of the day, when the phone was locked and not in use (6AM, 9AM, etc) while she would be asleep, driving to work, etc. Even though the settings were set to only use data on wifi, it seems there is a bug where if the phone is locked (and not connecting to wifi, because I don't know why they would design it like that) it will still use phone data for some reason. The result was her phone using 200+MB a day extra every single day. Turned Netflix off from using data unless she used it and everything was solved.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can't you disable the autoplay on the videos, though? I haven't searched for that setting on the app, but it should be in there somewhere.
You can, go to settings, video (or general, whatever, it's there somewhere) and you can select Yes/No on auto play.
Pretty damn sure, the default setting is no autoplay over carrier data. They will autoplay if you are connected to home WiFi. (You can change these default behaviors in settings)

Lenas

Trump's Staff
//Build/ conf today, Microsoft is solving the Windows Phone lack of apps problem by basically making Windows 10 support both Android and iOS apps.

Also, plugging your Win10 phone into a secondary screen will give you a desktop windows environment, similar to the Motorola Atrix or the Andromium dock.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
God damn you're so edgy
I'm not trying to be. Look anyone that has played with Windows 8 knows there are serious issues with those apps and I'm not sure how much that is going to help Microsoft's failure in the mobile space. Certainly a step in the right direction but really, how many of you use Metro apps with any regularity? They might be in a different position if they had done this from the start AND didn't go all walled garden.

I used to be a huge mircosoft fan. They have fucked up so much on both the mobile and desktop space recently that I have zero sympathy for them as they become another blackberry over the next decade or so.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Have you seen the keynote from today? Seen the universal apps in motion? Know anything about Windows 10?

MS has only been making good decisions since Nadella took over.

fris

Vyemm Raider
//Build/ conf today, Microsoft is solving the Windows Phone lack of apps problem by basically making Windows 10 support both Android and iOS apps.

Also, plugging your Win10 phone into a secondary screen will give you a desktop windows environment, similar to the Motorola Atrix or the Andromium dock.
so they think the problem w/ lack of apps on their phone is the lack of apps on their phone? the lack of apps is the lack of install base. people aren't developing for it because no one has it. having it use android apps is a nice-to-have, but won't draw anyone to a windows phone over an android phone. and i'll be real surprised to see how they get ios apps on it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah they also mentioned that they expect Windows 10 to have a 1 billion device install base in like 3 years.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't see how they would get Apple to agree to that. Selling less iOS devices in exchange for more iOS app sales doesn't seem a winning deal (especially while Android is getting the same benefit).

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You don't just take an iOS app or an Android app and run it on Windows 10, it doesn't work that way. The developer still has to port the application, but now they can reuse like 95% of their code and it's not a pain in the ass anymore. Apple has zero say in it. The actual news here is that Win10 apps now support Web, .NET, Win32, Java, C++ and Objective C - AKA all current app platforms.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You don't just take an iOS app or an Android app and run it on Windows 10, it doesn't work that way. The developer still has to port the application, but now they can reuse like 95% of their code and it's not a pain in the ass anymore. Apple has zero say in it.
That comes down to device support then - like how iOS -> Android ports are sluggish for some companies to hammer out the hardware variety issues.

Sounds like they're just going to be getting closer to Android in philosophy and app selection, not gangbusters like I was initially reading you as.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You don't just take an iOS app or an Android app and run it on Windows 10, it doesn't work that way. The developer still has to port the application, but now they can reuse like 95% of their code and it's not a pain in the ass anymore. Apple has zero say in it. The actual news here is that Win10 apps now support Web, .NET, Win32, Java, C++ and Objective C - AKA all current app platforms.
Someone told me today that Edge had native Android support but only iOS translation tools. Is that not the case and they both have to be translated?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
They showed a tablet app running natively in Win 10 but I'm not sure if it was an android or iOS app. I'm not sure what the distinctions or limitation differences are between android/ios apps on Win10 but at the end of the day they said both will be able to reuse "most of" their code.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't remember where I saw it or I'd link it, but my understanding was that for android apps, Win10 will run .apks with no modifications necessary, but iOS apps have to be ported.