Smartphones

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Spent a few days now with my Note 5, and I love it. Been a few things I didn't like in apps, and sure enough there was a setting to change it. Not used to that coming from iOS. Albeit it has gotten better. Only in one position, which happens to be in bed and trying to text, have I felt the phone is too big. Otherwise, it's been a damn dream. Was just the standard 2 year upgrade cycle, but so glad to have the new phone.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
32gb black on black with silver accent.
That's what you get for wanting more storage!

Wife has had hers for about a week, she has had no complaints so far, which is pretty good given the type of user she is. Battery lasts her about a day and a half, maybe 2 where the Nexus 5 would need charging every day. The battery idles overnight pretty well, draining maybe 2%. I had worries about the Moto Display and LCD.

She loves the camera and quick charging, though I try to get her to not use the quick charging. I fear it might degrade longterm battery life. The motion for opening the camera is convenient and somewhat consistent. Can't get the flashlight one to work, which is a bummer. Though, I kinda understand it since I assume they are using an accelerometer and trying to detect a quick double chop with one of those is a bitch.

Much improved reception. Parts of the house(we have aluminum siding) now get LTE that didn't before. Wifi range outside the house is greatly extended too.

I'm hoping Lenovo doesn't ruin Motorola, there's enough useful features that I'm considering getting one even though my Nexus 5 is just fine.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
She loves the camera and quick charging, though I try to get her to not use the quick charging.I fear it might degrade longterm battery life.
It absolutely will. The faster you charge or discharge a Li-ion battery, the warmer it gets. Yes, that includes Quick Charging. The warmer a battery gets, while being used or charged, the quicker its capacity deteriorates.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Quick question about the new Nexus 5X: are there any rumors on whether it will support the seamless transition between wifi and cell data that the Nexus 6 supports?

That's my biggest gripe with my current Nexus 5. I do a lot of calling via Skype and either forget to turn off wifi before going out or forget to turn it back on when I return. Not to mention that even streaming audio drops for a minute or so as it reconnects and does who knows what.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I received my Moto before it said it even shipped. About 10 days earlier than estimated. I really like it but still getting used to the size. I would have preferred a slightly smaller phone as it would fit in more cup holders and be easier to text one handed but the screen is gorgeous and its a great phone.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
dsc2762.jpg

dsc2765.jpg

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Assuming they'll both work on Fi? I'm about to have to change mobile plans and was thinking about taking my invite.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Any idea if they'll have OIS? I love my Moto X (2014), but lack of OIS makes the camera shitty as hell and is what kept me from ordering a Pure.

Also, I wish they'd offer a 16GB version of the 6P. I never understood people who used up that much goddamn storage on a phone. I've never had a phone use over 10.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Here are the full specs and features of the Nexus 5X:

Size: 147.0 x 72.6 x 7.9 mm
Weight: 136g
5.2-inch Full HD LCD (1920 x 1080 resolution and 424ppi) with Gorilla Glass 3 protection
64-bit 2GHz hexa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor and Adreno 418 GPU
2GB of LPDDR3 RAM
16GB / 32GB
12.3-megapixel camera with f/2.0 aperture, IR laser-assisted autofocus and 4K video recording
5-megapixel front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture
Fingerprint sensor
Micro USB Type-C connector
Dual front speakers
2,700 mAh battery life
Android 6.0 Marshmallow

And the 6PP

Size: 159.4 x 77.8 x 7.3mm
Weight: 178g
5.7-inch WQHD AMOLED display (2560 x 1440 and 518ppi) with Gorilla Glass 4 protection
64-bit octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 (v2.1)
3GB of RAM
32GB / 64GB / 128GB
12.3-megapixel camera with f/2.0 aperture, IR laser-assisted autofocus and 4K video recording
8-megapixel front-facing camera
Fingerprint sensor
Micro USB Type-C connector
Dual front speakers
3,450 mAh battery life
Metal unibody
Android 6.0 Marshmallow

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
No OIS and no wireless charging on either phone. I'm still leaning towards the 6p over the moto x pure.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Any idea if they'll have OIS? I love my Moto X (2014), but lack of OIS makes the camera shitty as hell and is what kept me from ordering a Pure.

Also, I wish they'd offer a 16GB version of the 6P. I never understood people who used up that much goddamn storage on a phone. I've never had a phone use over 10.
They claim they've technologied out the need for OIS. They showed some low light comparison low light shots from the Nexus phones and the iPhone's and the Nexus' looked much better but you don't know what kind of doctoring might have went into that. Most of the review sites got about 30 minutes each to play with the phones, said the conference room was dimly lit and thought the camera performed very well but wanted to wait till they received a review unit before they agreed with Google's claim that OIS isn't needed.

Now we're getting a deeper dive into the camera. It's optimized for indoor photography thanks to the 1.55-micron pixels at 12.3 megapixels. "Because the sensor allows more light, we get less motion blur. We obviate the need for OIS"