Smartphones

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Really wish I could root my phone just for the ability to install AdAway. Unfortunately if I want to receive work email on my phone, it isn't allowed to be rooted.

So far I am loving the 6P. I really prefer the size of it over the Nexus 6 as it is slightly narrower, so it is much easier to hold. I also really like that the back isn't curved like the Nexus 6. I haven't had a chance to play with the camera at all yet, but am hopeful that I will finally have a Nexus device with a good camera.

Oh also, the whole Project Fi not being fully activated popped up again on my phone. I did confirm with support that I do in fact need a new SIM card, and it should be here today. Thankfully the phone still works with the old SIM, but Fi is not fully activated, whatever the fuck that means.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Awesome thanks guys. The computer controlling the phone one seems great since I'd rather type here than on my phone
Grab Pushbullet for sure then. Airdroid is great for transferring files easier but for responding to texts and stuff, Pushbullet is much better.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Root, install adaway, unroot. You don't have to remain rooted 24/7. Then install your exchange server info.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Really wish I could root my phone just for the ability to install AdAway. Unfortunately if I want to receive work email on my phone, it isn't allowed to be rooted.
Curious as to why that is? Do they own your phone or is it a company phone?

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Have you rooted your 6P yet, Kedwyn? I just got mine today and thinking whether to root it or not. Main appeal for rooting is to load clean ROMs but since Nexus is pure Android anyway, I don't see there need to.

The AdAway is very convincing though but I haven't really looked into the rooting option for the 6P yet. Is it a difficult process?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure for Ameraves, but for me, it is my phone but they pay the bill so still set the rules of what can be connected to network.(which includes certain phones and not modified in anyway)

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Have you rooted your 6P yet, Kedwyn? I just got mine today and thinking whether to root it or not. Main appeal for rooting is to load clean ROMs but since Nexus is pure Android anyway, I don't see there need to.

The AdAway is very convincing though but I haven't really looked into the rooting option for the 6P yet. Is it a difficult process?
It's easy. Just make sure you download the updated sdk because the fast boot version is different. Follow the directions and you'll be good. Hit me up if you have issues.

Well worth it for adaway.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider

So far I am loving the 6P. I really prefer the size of it over the Nexus 6 as it is slightly narrower, so it is much easier to hold. I also really like that the back isn't curved like the Nexus 6. I haven't had a chance to play with the camera at all yet, but am hopeful that I will finally have a Nexus device with a good camera.

Oh also, the whole Project Fi not being fully activated popped up again on my phone. I did confirm with support that I do in fact need a new SIM card, and it should be here today. Thankfully the phone still works with the old SIM, but Fi is not fully activated, whatever the fuck that means.
Use Firefox for Android and you can use the AdBlock add-on. Problem solved!

Loving my 6P also, got 6.5 hours SOT yesterday... Took phone off charger at 5:30AM Friday and lasted until I went to bed around 2AM Saturday morning.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
A little jealous that I didn't go with 6p over the Note 5. I love most things about it, but the build quality seems a little off. Just new phone jitters I guess. Camera is amazing though.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
There is also nochromo browser which I like better than Firefox of you refuse to or can't root.

Root is much better though as mentioned it blocks ads in all apps

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
It's my phone, but unfortunately it is company policy. We use MobileIron and it won't allow full setup if the phone is rooted. I'm assuming there is some sort of security risk they have flagged there, but I am not entirely sure what it is. They even prevent us from having certain apps installed. For example I had Titanium backup on my phone and it had to be removed before my email would start working.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
So I have XCOM: Enemy Within installed on my Droid Turbo, and I wanted to install it on my new Galaxy Tab S for +10 fun and screen size. However, xcom is apparently not compatible with the tab s, so i cannot download it from the play store. I'd like to try and sideload the apk onto my tablet, as I've found a couple workarounds for the compatibility issue and want to try them out. Unfortunately, I have no way of getting the xcom .apk from my Droid Turbo, as it has not yet been successfully rooted (well, it sort of has, but only if you're running an older version of the google OS--i think kitkat?

Anyway, does anyone know if there is any way to get an .apk file of a app you've already purchsed? I tried the APK downloader add-on for chrome, but it cannot download paid apps (even if you've already purchased it). Curious if anyone here has a solution.

Thanks!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Give apk extractor a try on the market.

You can also look in /data/app and dig around in there you might find a base .apk that you can use to install.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
What exactly is rooting? And do I need to download the one that is $4 or is there a free one? Not that I'd mind spending thr $4 to get the adaway stuff since these adds are insane

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
Rooting is the process of unlocking "superuser" permission on your phone. Basically it gives you access to customize your phone in ways that a non-rooted phone cannot.

I wouldn't buy anything from the app store w/r/t rooting until you've done a bit of research on it first. Some models (such as the droid turbo, which i mentioned above) cannot be rooted at all (at least, currently). The older your phone is, the more likely it is that there are working root methods to support it.

I would recommend doing a google search for "xda developers" and your device. That will most likely get you to the "development" page for your device, in which you can find files and instructions on rooting. Do not be hasty--you can potentially damage your phone if you aren't careful, although I've never had any issues.