Smartphones

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
800 for a phone is just no. Too many good sub 500 phones. I plan to get a 6P on Swappa for $350 when these new phones hit the market.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I hardly ever used my Note 5's stylus until I got a job as a network tech. Now I use it pretty regularly. Very happy with it now, and battery lasts a whole day or more for me.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I think my Moto X (2014) might be finally taking a shit. I can no longer receive texts on LTE. I can send them just fine, but they never come through. I've tried playing with APN settings, I've switched to 3G/2G networks instead of LTE, etc. Occasionally, I'll get a flood of texts when I swap from LTE to 3G, but then I don't receive them again. I have to reboot and swap networks back and forth again. I was sick of the phone anyhow, but I'm so tired of planned obsolescence.

Anyhow, can anyone recommend a good case for the 6P? I think I'm finally going to take the plunge with Project-Fi.
I got this one when I ordered my 6p. No complaints at all. Not big and bulky, and feels like it protects it well enough

https://store.google.com/product/ado...ctive_case_n6p

Diamyr_sl

shitlord
My wife and I both use Spigen cases for our 6Ps and have been happy with them. Fits the phone well, but low profile enough to not be obtrusive in your pocket. It's done a fine enough job of protecting my phone from my toddler when she happens to get a hold of it. My Dad, Mom and Brother use the same brand for their 5Xs as well and are also happy.

The one thing to be careful of with any case for the 6P is some of the early designs blocked the laser-focus mechanism, so whatever route you go make sure the case accounts for that.
This one:Rugged Armor
or
This one:Thing Fit

I've seen some people saying the buttons on the Rugged Armor case are really mushy, got me reconsidering between that and something else, maybe a Diztronic case.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I think my Moto X (2014) might be finally taking a shit. I can no longer receive texts on LTE. I can send them just fine, but they never come through. I've tried playing with APN settings, I've switched to 3G/2G networks instead of LTE, etc. Occasionally, I'll get a flood of texts when I swap from LTE to 3G, but then I don't receive them again. I have to reboot and swap networks back and forth again. I was sick of the phone anyhow, but I'm so tired of planned obsolescence.

Anyhow, can anyone recommend a good case for the 6P? I think I'm finally going to take the plunge with Project-Fi.
I got this with my 6p. It has been great. Doesn't add too much to the phone and the rubber ribbing is handy for helping prop the phone up against things and keeping it in place in general. My only gripe is the ribbing rubs against pants pockets, etc. when sliding in and out.

https://store.google.com/product/spe...uYMaAp-W8P8HAQ

opiate82

Bronze Squire
This one:Rugged Armor
or
This one:Thing Fit

I've seen some people saying the buttons on the Rugged Armor case are really mushy, got me reconsidering between that and something else, maybe a Diztronic case.
I have the Rugged Armor and am happy. I have just the opposite experience with the buttons, with no case it is super easy to accidentally hit/click the buttons on a 6P, especially when holding in landscape. The case completely eliminated that but you can still naturally use the buttons, case doesn't interfere at all with that. The case stiffens up the buttons enough where I can rest the phone directly on a button without it clicking, so I would say they are decently stiff, but not so stiff that it becomes obtrusive to push them.

My wife has whatever the clear version of their case is, also no issues one way or another with the buttons.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The cell phone belt clip is the pocket protector of this century
I didn't need one in my Razr/Droid X days but since 1) new smartphones are fucking massive and 2) protective cases are big that means I can't actually fit my cell phone comfortably in my pocket.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I haven't had a phone case in like 6 years. I just put it in my pocket and try not to break it. Usually I succeed. I'm livin la vida loca.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Cyogen OS on my one plus is almost completely preferable to clean android.
Fuck one plus. I had a ton of complaints earlier in the thread about the simple use of the phone. Sure, some of it may have been a basic misunderstanding coming from iphone, but no matter what the fuck I did I could not get basic things like badges and full gmail(personal) and exchange(work) usage to work correctly with the default installed calendar or mail system. I eventually found cloudmagic email which works perfectly for both accounts, and some SolCalendar app which also does. Then to get badges to work I had to download NovaLauncher + some fucking telsa add-on. The entire experience just left a completely sour taste in my mouth....

BUT I was willing to accept it and move on since after the pain of all of those downloads and configurations it did seem to finally do what I wanted. Now the beautiful kick to the balls from OnePlus2. I went skiing with it in my pocket, like I would with any phone or device I've ever owned. It's not like I jumped in to the pond at the bottom of the mountain, but apparently I sweat too much for this Chinese piece of shit. The fingerprint button completely stopped working. And no, I don't just mean when you hold the phone and experience that grounding issue. It is 100% dead. Zero functionality. Of course calling the company is stupid. I have to go through the standard comcast style reboot 3 times and spin in a circle bullshit and they finally schedule me for some online web session with their support. Part of this is to wipe and reboot my phone, awesome...looks like Im starting all over with the shit I did in step one above. Ohh and yea, the button still doesn't work. So my only option is to mail it in and they will mail me a replacement, which is completely unacceptable because I use it for work and cannot be without a phone for 2-3 weeks or whatever fuck ass time they claim the process will take.

I am so fucking burned from the experience I don't know what to do. I got the invite for the google nexus Fi project, but I can't just switch because I have about 5 devices(tablets, "family" plan other phones, a 4G wifi device in my truck, etc) on my AT&T plan and I don't feel like splitting off just my phone into a separate carrier. Not a huge deal as AT&T is a fine network(I'll bitch about overpriced aspect in another thread or at later time) but I need to have a dual-sim, preferably dual-active, phone because of all my travel. I know it's a "first world" problem, but I really don't want to swap out my SIM card as I move around. Otherwise I'd be back to apple in a heartbeat as much as I hate them too, it just worked for my basic needs.

I guess I will look into the galaxy or nexus phones. I think galaxy offered dual-active sim phones. Which one has the inherit facebook issue that I read about above?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Fuck one plus. I had a ton of complaints earlier in the thread about the simple use of the phone. Sure, some of it may have been a basic misunderstanding coming from iphone, but no matter what the fuck I did I could not get basic things like badges and full gmail(personal) and exchange(work) usage to work correctly with the default installed calendar or mail system. I eventually found cloudmagic email which works perfectly for both accounts, and some SolCalendar app which also does. Then to get badges to work I had to download NovaLauncher + some fucking telsa add-on. The entire experience just left a completely sour taste in my mouth....
Sounds like that's an Android problem, not OnePlus specifically. Unread badges do not exist in stock android, which is why you had to download a new lauincher and its unread badge add on in order to enable them. I don't know why Gmail and Google calendar couldn't do what you wanted them to do, but that would be a Google issue, not OnePlus.

Not trying to be some kind of apologist for OnePlus, I just think you had different expectations having come from an iphone. The OP2 runs their OxygenOs variant of Android. They hired a lot of the devs behind Paranoid Android for it, and the philosophy behind PA was to keep things as close to stock as possible except for adding a few new features.

BUT I was willing to accept it and move on since after the pain of all of those downloads and configurations it did seem to finally do what I wanted. Now the beautiful kick to the balls from OnePlus2. I went skiing with it in my pocket, like I would with any phone or device I've ever owned. It's not like I jumped in to the pond at the bottom of the mountain, but apparently I sweat too much for this Chinese piece of shit. The fingerprint button completely stopped working. And no, I don't just mean when you hold the phone and experience that grounding issue. It is 100% dead. Zero functionality. Of course calling the company is stupid. I have to go through the standard comcast style reboot 3 times and spin in a circle bullshit and they finally schedule me for some online web session with their support. Part of this is to wipe and reboot my phone, awesome...looks like Im starting all over with the shit I did in step one above. Ohh and yea, the button still doesn't work. So my only option is to mail it in and they will mail me a replacement, which is completely unacceptable because I use it for work and cannot be without a phone for 2-3 weeks or whatever fuck ass time they claim the process will take.
The only thing I can say about OnePlus customer service, is that supposedly they are better than they used to be. Having to send your phone away for repair is one of the downsides of buying from a company that does all its sales online. That said, they didn't give you the option to ship you a new one and put a hold on your card until your phone shows up?

I guess I will look into the galaxy or nexus phones. I think galaxy offered dual-active sim phones. Which one has the inherit facebook issue that I read about above?
All Android phones have an inherent issue with the Facebook app: its a battery hog.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I meant the facebook issue being that you can't delete it or something. Thought I read that at the top of this page.

No, OnePlus did not give me the option to pre-ship a new phone then return my old one. I hate to say it but I think I just don't like andriod. I really want to because I think apple is a piece of shit hipster company and it pisses me off, but right out the gate apple works with gmail(competition), exchange, etc. The built in andriod shit did not...and why are badge counts not default? Am I like the only moron in this thread that likes them? I feel like I must be missing something or maybe I'm just getting old and don't realize badges are not in anymore? What's the deal with that.

Is there a new better system I need to be aware of? I just want to look and see, hey neat, I have 5 texts/emails/missed calls.

Also, no voicemail app by default unless I missed that too. I had to call #imafaggot or whatever just to listen to voicemails, until of course I downloaded youmail.

I guess I should have known honestly, this kind of reminds me of Chromecast. Yea sure it had(has?) an open API and badass people somewhere will make badass shit for it, but as an out-of-box thing it's nothing but a giant pain in the ass. Dual-Sim iphone plzkthx.

Siliconemelons

I meant the facebook issue being that you can't delete it or something. Thought I read that at the top of this page.

No, OnePlus did not give me the option to pre-ship a new phone then return my old one. I hate to say it but I think I just don't like andriod. I really want to because I think apple is a piece of shit hipster company and it pisses me off, but right out the gate apple works with gmail(competition), exchange, etc. The built in andriod shit did not...and why are badge counts not default? Am I like the only moron in this thread that likes them? I feel like I must be missing something or maybe I'm just getting old and don't realize badges are not in anymore? What's the deal with that.

Is there a new better system I need to be aware of? I just want to look and see, hey neat, I have 5 texts/emails/missed calls.

Also, no voicemail app by default unless I missed that too. I had to call #imafaggot or whatever just to listen to voicemails, until of course I downloaded youmail.

I guess I should have known honestly, this kind of reminds me of Chromecast. Yea sure it had(has?) an open API and badass people somewhere will make badass shit for it, but as an out-of-box thing it's nothing but a giant pain in the ass. Dual-Sim iphone plzkthx.
Android is imo crap- but you kind of have to deal with it... you got iOS, W10, BB10 and Android to choose from lol. IMO it was OEM's that screwed the pootch on what "android was suppose to be!" by making subpar versions of android and linking them to bloatware etc. etc. that lead to the pure android movement and nexus phones etc. while google was not really set up or interested in "doing that" at that time- so while android is X years old, its maturity in terms of OS UI etc etc is years behind because of this. It was meant for OEMs to make, brand and "sell" their "android powered" OS... HTC really was the only one to try and make their version good and a "feature" that will make you buy and HTC over = spec other vendor.

Edit: Verizon Black Berry Priv *should* be released tomorrow or soon- I am wondering what "cardboard" VR ebay headset is the best?