Smartphones

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm talking about all smartphone operating systems in general. They're not ALL garbage because one of them doesn't conform to your every subjective need. Alternatively I'd say they are all capable of doing the same things and you have more versatile choice than ever to get anything you need done. Betamax changed the way some people watched videos. Smartphones and "garbage" systems like Android have changed the way the entire world works and communicates.

Siliconemelons

The entire smartphone "thing" changes the face of business and the world as we know it, I would not doubt that.

Android was not made to be what it has become - it was just suppose to be a solid foundation and then OEM's where to take it and essentially make their own OS based on android- I would say HTC came closest to this. In and of itself android was meant to be fairly expanded featureless - yet that is not what your typical consumer wants. Soon the modification and crappy implementation of things like early TouchWiz was, an app store loaded with malware infected, ID stealing keylogging apps that where essentially "needed" preying on everyone lead Google to start to build out things themselves and lead to the nexus and pure android thing- so really they had to play some catchup- heck they hired the main UI designer from webs - HP and boom- sidewase card task manager screen! Lol.

Android CAN do a lot, heck look at those Chinese phones that literally look and function 98% like ios but are android cheap knockoffs- looking at that you see just how much OEMs failed at taking the opportunity to make a true full custom OS based on android and use THAT as their differentiating selling aspect rather than the 90s 2k computer spec war happening in smartphones.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So manufacturers didn't do what you wanted with Android, but that doesn't make it garbage. It's a great OS.

Siliconemelons

It's not what I wanted, it's what the mission was at the beginning. I was saying it's better than it was the last few incarnations that I used.

If WebOS, other platforms and even full custom android OS's where to have had the years of maturity we would have far better OS's than what we have currently- but everyone is just worried about making the coolest looking 4-6inch rectangle.

Out of iOS and Android current branch - android is way better even stock vs stock- and the matured add on's are nicer than ever so that is good.

It's just what the two main options have been "innovating" are things that where mostly already done- so it's going to be intiresting how things move into new territory.

And they both are guilty of upgrading the shiney to just require next gen specs and buy a new phone, but that's capitalism life eh.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I guess all I'm reading is that you're upset because your favorite OS got beat out by Android/iOS but now Android isn't really that bad after all... except really, everything sucks?

Siliconemelons

I understand why it got beat out, while I still feels it was superior there is no denying the miss management of it.

On the Android side, while much better- I suppose I just feel as if it should be more than what it is.

And yes, if we where to assume all things equal and we base out of box vs out of box- then I would personally rate ios last then android. But things are not equal, the market is what it is- the best does not always "win" etc. Etc. So yes I essentially only have 2 options, android or ios- looking at things from that scope, android is awesome!

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah man i totally get it, fucking nothing should be on smartphones except DOS. I mean i think all visual UI's have just been garbage. Why improve upon something that is literally perfect?

Siliconemelons

dos would not be very productive on a mobile platform- however no UI's do have a prominent place in the world such as windows server core, nano and heck ms also released sql server for linux.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Apple announces yet another 16gb phone. When are phone makers going to move past 16gb as the starting point?

On the flip side of that, my wife is happy because she really didn't want to upgrade to the iPhone 6 because she thought it was too big.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Found an awesome deal on Swappa, $450 for a mint 64GB Nexus 6P with Dbrand skin, case and tempered glass protector. And a Nexus 2013 tablet, plus a couple extra USB C cables.

Gonna sell the tablet for $100 and my Nexus 6 for $200. So $150 for a 64GB Nexus 6P...fuck buying new phones.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Apple announces yet another 16gb phone. When are phone makers going to move past 16gb as the starting point?
I'm convinced that at this point it strictly so they can claim that it's only $650 for a new iphone, even though nobody should be buying that model.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Found an awesome deal on Swappa, $450 for a mint 64GB Nexus 6P with Dbrand skin, case and tempered glass protector. And a Nexus 2013 tablet, plus a couple extra USB C cables.

Gonna sell the tablet for $100 and my Nexus 6 for $200. So $150 for a 64GB Nexus 6P...fuck buying new phones.
Great deal for a great phone.

Neph_sl

shitlord

On the flip side of that, my wife is happy because she really didn't want to upgrade to the iPhone 6 because she thought it was too big.
My wife is the same, didn't want to upgrade even though she's had her 5S for over two years. She's ecstatic about the SE. I'm definitely getting her the 64GB one though as she never wants to delete pics off her phone and I f'd myself once in deleting old pics off her phone that she needed.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Have there been any major changes in phones since the Nexus 5? I've entirely stopped paying attention, but my poor 5 got stepped on by a fat drunk chick and needs replacing now. Can I just buy whatever the current Nexus is and be done?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You can buy any new smartphone and just be done. You haven't specified any likes or dislikes.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Have there been any major changes in phones since the Nexus 5? I've entirely stopped paying attention, but my poor 5 got stepped on by a fat drunk chick and needs replacing now. Can I just buy whatever the current Nexus is and be done?
You might want to avoid the Nexus 5X, as people are reporting it's still having performance issues despite the latest update that was supposed to fix them. I haven't heard any significant complaints about the 6P.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You can buy any new smartphone and just be done. You haven't specified any likes or dislikes.
Well, there wasn't really anything to dislike about my Nexus 5? I guess maybe the battery life wasn't amazing? I'm mostly curious if there is anything new worth buying that's actually a big leap from what I had, or can I just buy another Nexus 5 someplace and be done?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The new line of Nexus phones (5X and 6P) are some of the best deals for an Android phone right now. The cameras compete well with some of the best, they have great hardware, they work on any carrier, AND if you have one you are eligible to sign up for Project Fi which unless you are aheavymobile data user is one of the best cell-service deals on the market. The seamless transition between Sprint, TMO, and WiFi calling alone make a new Nexus phone worth it imo.

There are three 5X's in my family, including one power-user, and I haven't heard of them having any sort of performance issue. I love my 6P. I'm sure if you name me a phone I can link you to a forum of people bitching about supposed issues, just saying.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
If the 6P isn't too big for you, I'd highly recommend it. Even if it seems to big at first, you get used to it pretty damn quick. 10/10 would buy again.