Smartphones

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Suggest an option for a cheap android phone I can get my mom. All it needs to be able to do is talk/text/ and rarely check emails. She said she could go with slightly smaller screen size if that's what it takes. She has a samsung now and it's gotten old and feels like it was pretty much a waste. Apparently she rarely talks with it outside the house much either.

She doesn't really use any apps at all other than checking emal if she's out and about. She runs aps on her tablet.
Whatever costs 50$ at Boost/Cricket. There's literally hundreds of shit-tier Android phones now that will do all of that for peanuts.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Suggest an option for a cheap android phone I can get my mom. All it needs to be able to do is talk/text/ and rarely check emails. She said she could go with slightly smaller screen size if that's what it takes. She has a samsung now and it's gotten old and feels like it was pretty much a waste. Apparently she rarely talks with it outside the house much either.

She doesn't really use any apps at all other than checking emal if she's out and about. She runs aps on her tablet.
Blu makes some good cheapass android phones. My parents used to have Blu phones a few years ago until they bought Moto Gs. Amazon has an ad subsidized phone:Amazon.com: BLU R1 HD - 8 GB - Black - Prime Exclusive - with Lockscreen Offers Accessoriesfor $50-$60 depending on configuration. If she wants a lot of battery life,Amazon.com: BLU ENERGY X Smartphone - With 4000 mAh Super Battery - GSM Unlocked - Gold: Cell Phones Accessorieswould be a good option for $100.

Otherwise whatever cheap phone her carrier offers would probably work.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
You're reading it wrong.

The 10GB plan is new and is essentially Straight Talk saying that if you need more than 5GB of data you can pay us $10 more a month for another 5GB. The rest of the plans are based off the $45 5GB plan. $60 if you need international calling, and the more expensive plans are just offering a small discount on the $45 plan if you buy it 3, 6 or 12 months at a time.
what m i reading wrong? thats just what i pulled off their website about their speeds / per plan

Does it just mean the first 5gb is highspeed 4g? or 3g? and anything after that is on 2g throttled speeds right?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Does it just mean the first 5gb is highspeed 4g? or 3g? and anything after that is on 2g throttled speeds right?
That's exactly it. You get 5GB at the highest speed the network in the area and your phone can handle, then you get throttled into oblivion for the rest of that 30 days.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Heads up if anyone else is using an older android phone.

Google Play Services updated on its own despite having manual updating turned on and turned my phone into a warm turd that blows thru its battery in 4 hours of idle. Removing Google Play Services solved the issue until it reinstall on its own 24hrs later, the way around that was to deactivate Google Play Store. All was well after that since no apps seemed affected badly from this until I noticed I cant use my Chromecast without Google Play Services installed. Now that just wont do.

Searched quite a bit and turns out the only fix right now was to upgrade from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean. That did solve the issue.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Holy shitballs do I love Google Fi. Ordered the Nexus 6P on a new Google Fi account. I currently also have a Samsung Note 5 on Sprint.

After hauling both phones around with me all weekend for testing purposes, Google Fi data is faster in every spot that I tested it around my city. Which is odd because Fi supposedly uses Sprint/Tmobile networks, so I assumed both phones would be using the same Sprint network at least some of the time. But it didn't matter, the Google Fi 4G LTE connection was always faster than my Note 5. I thought maybe Fi would be treated like a 2nd rate citizen on other companies networks, getting artificially throttled down a bit or something, but nope. Great speed.

Now as far as the phones go, The Note 5 is still a little superior to the 6P, IMO. They both have the exact same size of screen, yet the Note 5 is overall smaller, while actually showing MORE on the screen because screen real estate isn't being used up by navigation buttons like they are on the 6P. So the Note 5 + physical buttons = more overall usable screen + smaller casing. The front-facing speakers on the 6P are nice, quite a bit louder than the Note 5s bottom speaker, but the quality isn't as good. In listening to the same music files on both, the 6P sounded more treble-heavy, with low/bass notes almost missing from some songs. The Note 5 sounded a lot cleaner and clearer and true on almost all of the music I tested(my own files, Youtube, Spotify)

So all in all, the 6P is still a quality phone, but not quite up to par with top-end phones like the Note 5.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Did you discount hardware differences between the two phones that would affect transfer speed? Specifically, antenna design?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Did you discount hardware differences between the two phones that would affect transfer speed? Specifically, antenna design?
I didn't get that in-depth to check the antenna design/placement of each phone, but neither had a case on them that would interfere with anything, I was using them as designed out of the box, which I think is a fair comparison.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Nice to be able to just opt into Android N and have it pushed to be moments later. I'll never be stuck waiting on providers again.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I didn't get that in-depth to check the antenna design/placement of each phone, but neither had a case on them that would interfere with anything, I was using them as designed out of the box, which I think is a fair comparison.
Don't be so easy to dismiss that factor. My wife's Moto X Pure gets 2 bars(yes, I really should get that measurement in db) more than my Nexus 5 in the same locations and service.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I finally killed a phone. Dropped my OPO last night and it's kaput. Screen fucked. Now I have to wait to get my 6P delivered. How am I supposed to leave my house without a phone!?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I finally killed a phone. Dropped my OPO last night and it's kaput. Screen fucked. Now I have to wait to get my 6P delivered. How am I supposed to leave my house without a phone!?
Oh noes, them pok?mons wont find themselves.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Heh, got to The Wire season 2 where they track a guy's sms via gps coordinates - 'noone has done it before'. A close second to when they 'clone a computer'.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
After hauling both phones around with me all weekend for testing purposes, Google Fi data is faster in every spot that I tested it around my city. Which is odd because Fi supposedly uses Sprint/Tmobile networks, so I assumed both phones would be using the same Sprint network at least some of the time. But it didn't matter, the Google Fi 4G LTE connection was always faster than my Note 5. I thought maybe Fi would be treated like a 2nd rate citizen on other companies networks, getting artificially throttled down a bit or something, but nope. Great speed.
And US Cellularnow as well. Also Project Fi will automatically connect you to open WiFi networks while also encrypting your data.

Also fwiw there is an app where you can force Fi to connect to a specific network if for whatever reason it isn't handling the handoffs too well in your area. Or if you want to confirm your Sprint vs Sprint speeds between the two phones.https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ydevs.fiswitch

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I've been pretty disappointed with Project Fi lately. I get pretty bad cell service in my house, so usually I would just turn on airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on and get and receive calls that way. For some reason, that totally stopped working and I couldn't receive phone calls or text messages. I posted to their support forums about my problem, went through a few troubleshooting steps, and it seemed to fix it.

Skip forward a couple weeks and it starts happening again. Go through the same steps, clear the cache and storage, and seems to be working. However, I am also having huge issues with it swapping between WiFi and cell signal. Anytime I am on the phone while driving home, and I pull up to my house and it connects to my WiFi, my call gets dropped. So this seamless handoff that is supposed to be happening, just isn't happening. It's become pretty frustrating, and I don't know if the cost savings is going to be worth it anymore.

Project Fi is great in concept, but for me so far, it hasn't be great in practice.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
havent seen those issues myself. sucks man. i wonder if your wifi config has anything to do with it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I haven't had any of those issues either, but to be perfectly honest I don't use the actual phone feature that often. I text way more than I call. There are times where I see the phone signal at zero with the 3 little dots going back and forth. I"m guessing that's when it's trying to connect to a network? I never saw that on my android phone before Fi.