Smartphones

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Unless you are planning to use this as a weapon, i don't see how you need a bulky otterbox or even a screen protector for this. A simple case would suffice, we are not in 2012 anymore. Gorilla Glass 4 is scratch proof and you need to drop it face-down from some height for the screen to crack.

I work with and around heavy equipment, aggressive chemicals, adhesives and paints not to mention crazy levels of dust, I would lock my phone in an ammo can if I could hear it ring inside, without full armor the phone would be trashed in less than a day. I go through 2 otterbox defenders in the life span of a phone. Never killed a phone wrapped in one.

dirty-jobs.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I can't help laughing at people that say things like the phone "lacks personality" or that the design is "uninspiring". Does anyone really give a shit about this or is it just something for phone reviewers to talk about and then other people parrot them? Have you actually been inspired in any way by a rectangular black piece of plastic or aluminum? Seems more likely that people have just been sold by Apple marketing into believing that this shit matters. That video is rife with faggotry.

You mean the phone I'm going to shove into a case, anyways?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Google added on screen navigation back in Android 4.0? to get rid of a physical button area. Few utilized it.

I went from a Galaxy Nexus to a Note 4 and I really like having that Physical home button. One less swipe to bring up the navigation controls, which sometimes doesn't respond that well depending on the app that's running.

Apollo64

N00b
I work with and around heavy equipment, aggressive chemicals, adhesives and paints not to mention crazy levels of dust, I would lock my phone in an ammo can if I could hear it ring inside, without full armor the phone would be trashed in less than a day. I go through 2 otterbox defenders in the life span of a phone. Never killed a phone wrapped in one.

View attachment 95595

Seems like the Active version of the Samsung phones would be perfect for you, too bad they don't make them in big sizes.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
for what its worth, 2 weeks in with the pixel and its incredible. no complaints at all.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Unless you are planning to use this as a weapon, i don't see how you need a bulky otterbox or even a screen protector for this. A simple case would suffice, we are not in 2012 anymore. Gorilla Glass 4 is scratch proof and you need to drop it face-down from some height for the screen to crack.
I dropped my note 5 about four inches onto my hard floor, landed on its corner, and now there's a crack inbetween the outer layer and the digitizer. Can't feel it and it doesn't mess up the display but it's there.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Had to rent a car for a seven hour work drive the past two days, new Sonata. It had Android Auto which was really nice. The navigation was just Google Maps, I had access to podcasts, Google Music, Audible apps. All more or less native Android versions (I get that they were, just saving words). Not some hackney car manufacturer UI or Bluetooth approximation. It had quirks and wasn't perfect, but damn I'd rank it really high in my next car purchase. Didn't have access to an iPhone to test the Apple version, but I'd imagine similar b/c of how it works.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Liking the Edge 7 a lot, I miss the S-Pen and the slightly larger screen of the Note, but the form factor is WAY smaller / lighter than my Note 3. I can live with this for the next year or so.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Just had my first update on the Pixel. The seamless update worked as advertised. Got a 5 second flash of "android is upgrading" during boot and then a roughly 30 second notification after boot that the system is finishing the update after boot, during which the phone was perfectly usable.

While I doubt this will come in to play more than once a month, it is nice to see it work as advertised.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Damn kids keep breaking/bending their chargers and cables for my phone's and their tablets. Is there a solid offbrand USB charger out there. Note 4s and Asus tablets here.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Guessing it's the ends of the microusb cables. We've gone through a number of them too.

My kids are 2 and 5, the charging cables are now just out of reach :p

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if cables are an issue, just buy em off ebay, usually 2bucks for a 6ft cable or less, obviously longer costs more. Look for US shipping, so you don't get the cable like 30days later, cuz you got it from China (the US guys still get it from China, they just hike up the price 20%, which is like peanuts anyway), here's the search, free shipping, us only, buy it now
micro usb cable | eBay

sorted by price.

*NOTE*
these sellers will try to trick you by give you a "drop down selection", of cable/cable and adapter/adapter only, to try to seem the cheapest by hodgepodging other items, look closely.

Usually i just pick whichever ones has "most sold"

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Someone remind me of the website used to watch for deals on electronics. I'm likely going to buy a S7 Edge or OnePlus 3 depending on which has better Black Friday/Cyber Monday/whatever deals.

Getting tired of my Nexus 5 deciding to disconnected from wifi when the screen is off for a while.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I've been quite happy with mine as well. Being back on stock android is nice.
I got mine yesterday (Fi). Moving on from an LG G3. For the time being I'm mostly just happy to not have any of the bullshit LG or Sprint bloatware but this is one seriously crisp UI and everything is much faster and more responsive. And since the G3 phone had the power button in the same spot as the Pixel has its fingerprint sensor, turning it on is pretty much the same.

I shoved mine into a Unicorn Beetle case. DGAF about the design, just fucking work and don't break.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I got mine yesterday (Fi). Moving on from an LG G3. For the time being I'm mostly just happy to not have any of the bullshit LG or Sprint bloatware but this is one seriously crisp UI and everything is much faster and more responsive. And since the G3 phone had the power button in the same spot as the Pixel has its fingerprint sensor, turning it on is pretty much the same.

I shoved mine into a Unicorn Beetle case. DGAF about the design, just fucking work and don't break.

One thing I'll always respect Apple for is not letting carriers fuck up the phone with bloatware. Granted, some android manufacturers manage to fuck up good hardware with awful bloatware without carrier help.

I got some cheapass chinese case off of amazon for $7 just for some basic protection for now. I was eyeing the Google Live case, but that's more than I would like to spend on a case. I've been keeping an eye on Cold case files: Google Pixel case reviews (Updated: 11/16/16) for something decent.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I need a phone recommendation, looking to swap back to Verizon soon. I have google fi with the nexus 5x and it's just not holding up for me. Is it possible to just get a phone elsewhere and just do the swap myself? I can't stand their stores, but their coverage can't be beat here. I've had enough bad calls that people just text me more lol.

I'd appreciate the help, would like something the size of the nexus or smaller, and not paper thin. Android preferred, but I don't hate on the iPhones since the one I had back in the day was good to me. Thanks.