Smartphones

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
HTC One Nexus?
S4 Nexus?

jimp.png

Neither of those is a real nexus device, and on top of that they are going to have functionality disabled. The HTC One google edition is going to have the IR outright disabled out of the box for example. All I want is a phone with on screen buttons and LTE that doesn't have sucky internals when my contract comes up. Seems like too much to ask though.

fris

Vyemm Raider
htc one gets amazing 4g lte connection inside my office. w/ my evo 3d, i could never get wimax in my building and usually not enough 3g to even stream music. how i can surf/game over 4g while having a call on my cell flawlessly (sprint's next doesn't let you get data and voice over 3g)

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm totally android ignorant. I have a friend that is looking at getting a new phone in roughly $200-400 range. I'm thinking she can probably get more phone for her money at that price in a droid, but am not really sure what to recommend. Any decent Samsung/HTCs you guys could point me to in that price range? The phone won't be used in America, so contract "deals" are out.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
But with all the options Google offers in the cloud, it's not as bad.

I have a Droid DNA and it only has 16GB, but I can store 20,000 songs on Google Music, 1,000 books on Google Books. I mostly use my storage for apps and pics/videos and I could put the pics on the cloud too.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I went with a 16GB N4, as 8GB is just too little storage for me. Otherwise, it's a fantastic phone with lots of developer support for those interested in custom roms.

As far as Sprint goes, I had been a Sprint customer for over 10 years before I left them in Feb. I had checked my contract status online before ordering my N4 and it said my line (it was part of a family plan my dad had) was out of contract. I got the N4, signed up for Straight Talk and ported my number over with no issues. The next month my dad gets a bill with a $300 ETF added to it and is justifiably pissed off. After a long call to Sprint they offer up a compromise: give back my old phone number and they'll drop the ETF, because my line was actually in contract until 2014 and the information online was wrong. I figure holding on to my number isn't worth $300, so I suck it up and transfer it back to Sprint and get a new one from Straight Talk. Predictably, the $300 ETF returns the next month along with the regular charges for my old phone, which isn't being used. Another call to Sprint gets the ETF removed, but the CS manager says my dad now has to pay for the line for 3 months or the ETF will return. My dad threatens to cancel the entire plan at this point so he can get to the customer retention people, but they won't budge. In fact they say the previous CS reps were wrong and that he will have to carry my old line until my contract runs out or pay the ETF. The only positive thing they did was finally drop the insurance from the other lines that my dad has been telling them to cancel for months.

So at this point, Sprint has guaranteed that my dad will drop them as soon as the other lines are out of contract. For years he has refused to drop Sprint even though their network is lousy in upstate NY because he likes their CS people, but he has finally had enough. I just need to find some reasonably priced, unlocked phones from him and my mom to use when the they do drop Sprint. Unfortunately the N4 costs more than they would like to spend.

Also, for the few people who haven't heard about it, the NSA is getting the metadata for all calls involving Verizon customers:http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...records-daily/

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So is that Straight Talk company my best bet if I were to drop Verizon and go with the Nexus 4 route? The whole $45/month thing sounds fucking nice.

Coverage map shows solid for my area, but is that good connection? Strong streaming for music?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So is that Straight Talk company my best bet if I were to drop Verizon and go with the Nexus 4 route? The whole $45/month thing sounds fucking nice.

Coverage map shows solid for my area, but is that good connection? Strong streaming for music?
As wolfen posted, the T-Mobile plan might be better if you don't talk much, as Straight Talk only sells T-Mobile sims now. I got an AT&T sim before they stopped selling them, since T-Mobile is terrible where I live. I've had no complaints with them and the only thing you pay beyond the plan price is local sales tax. If you sign up for automatic payments every 30 days they knock $2.50 off the price.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you can't do AT&T with Nexus 4 anymore? T-Mobile is looking bad for me too. I'm in a pretty shitty area, although we do have Verizon 4G LTE. But if I upgrade my device on Verizon I lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan, so I'd have to activate a third party phone on VZW or go somewhere else that still has unlimited data plans. I've been known to break 10GB in a month so I feel like I need it. I've been lower, 2-3GB, lately though. Maybe I just need to chill, but I spend a lot of time driving and my Android is my music player streaming from Google Play. Still, seems cheaper to go with the SIM card/Nexus 4 route despite the initial purchase of the phone.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm, AT&T shows 4G LTE coverage for me, maybe that's the best bet, going to look into what my monthly rate would be. I know the nexus isn't 4G LTE but just for the purpose of determing who has the stronger network in my area it looks like AT&T wins.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck it, I'm staying with Verizon until they nuke unlimited. If I ever need a new phone I'll just pay full retail to retain my plan.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Can anyone recommend a site that would deal with modding the S4 with the custom roms, Holo and shit like that. Getting my first smartphone because apparently calling someone and talking is too much fucking trouble now and people love making me pay for every fucking stupid meme pic they keep sending me.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Apparently calling someone and talking is too much fucking trouble now and people love making me pay for every fucking stupid meme pic they keep sending me.
This bugs me too. I don't want to have a friggin text conversation with you when you could pick up the phone and talk to me. What's that? Oh, you're doing something else and using texting me to keep your boredom at bay, and will ignore me once something interesting happens where you're at? I'm so glad.

My Contract with ATT is up in November...a month or so after the Moto X is supposed to come out, and I want to see that bad-boy before I decide. Right now I think I'd take the S4 over the One.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I made a decision to never use a screen protector ever again. I got annoyed of the micro scratches on my HOX, so I decided to use a screen protector again for my N4. Went through a couple of different ones and none of them were good. They feel terrible to swipe and always gets mucked up from oil after a couple months of use. Funnily enough, the factory screen protector was the best one.

BTW Rhino shield is pretty bad. Don't get it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
As wolfen posted, the T-Mobile plan might be better if you don't talk much, as Straight Talk only sells T-Mobile sims now. I got an AT&T sim before they stopped selling them, since T-Mobile is terrible where I live. I've had no complaints with them and the only thing you pay beyond the plan price is local sales tax. If you sign up for automatic payments every 30 days they knock $2.50 off the price.
The real kicker is tmobile has wifi calling so only having 100 minutes isnt anything to worry about.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Does T-Mobile's wifi calling supplant the cell radio when connected? In other words, if you're in an area with poor or no signal, BUT you have a wifi connection, will the phone go nuts looking for a signal or not? I'm not sure why more cell phone companies don't take advantage of something like this. Every household wifi instantly becomes a mini cell phone tower AND it offloads cell traffic onto the ISP(which still might be ATT or Verizon).