Smartphones

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Just can't do it. Ordered a Pixel 6.

I have a Pixel 6. The only complaints I have are the in screen fingerprint sensor is not great, and neither is the modem. Neither are dealbreakers IMHO, just something to keep in mind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have a Pixel 6. The only complaints I have are the in screen fingerprint sensor is not great, and neither is the modem. Neither are dealbreakers IMHO, just something to keep in mind.
I stopped using my fingerprint sensor on my Galaxy. I had been thinking about it for a while and accepted the extra second or two required to type in the pin was worth the protection of knowing the popo can't force me to unlock it against my will.

• 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I stopped using my fingerprint sensor on my Galaxy. I had been thinking about it for a while and accepted the extra second or two required to type in the pin was worth the protection of knowing the popo can't force me to unlock it against my will.

In base android 12 if you hit power and vol+ you can lockdown the phone, which requires the PIN to unlock.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
In base android 12 if you hit power and vol+ you can lockdown the phone, which requires the PIN to unlock.
Yeah and you could always just shut it down since it takes a password to open it after it's shut down.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Why would you fear a situation where a cop would force you to open your phone, Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes ? Are you a special agent or something? Isn't it more the woman who would fuck your over in your sleep? :D

Izo

Tranny Chaser
No, I post on FOH on my phone. I don't want to end up a Jan 6-er.
Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
So the Pixel 6a is $449 and Google is throwing in a pair of pixel buds free if you pre-order and offering me $300 trade in for my 5a. There's nothing wrong with the 5a but this seems like a pretty cheap upgrade. Are there any significant new features on the 6a? I don't buy $100 headphones so I can't really call that a savings but I'm kind of curious about them.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So the Pixel 6a is $449 and Google is throwing in a pair of pixel buds free if you pre-order and offering me $300 trade in for my 5a. There's nothing wrong with the 5a but this seems like a pretty cheap upgrade. Are there any significant new features on the 6a? I don't buy $100 headphones so I can't really call that a savings but I'm kind of curious about them.

If the buds rrp is $100 and you sell them for $80 then the 6a is costing you $70.

I got Bose noise cancelling headphones with my Pixel and they're definitely premium quality. Not sure the buds would convince me to keep hold of them.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

I got the Pixel Buds A with my Pixel 6 and they're pretty good. Granted, prior to this I had only used cheapass buds before that. Charger case for them is small, overall good sound and battery life.

As far as the phone goes, it has the same SoC as the 6, just with less RAM, a smaller screen, and a downgrade to the camera. I don't think it does wireless charging either. I had Pixel 5, which had the same SoC as the 5A and the 6 is a very solid upgrade to that in performance. It was a small downgrade in battery life, though the smaller screen on the 6A may make up for that. The 6A does drop the glass back in favor of a composite, which I consider a plus.

You'll be stuck with the in screen fingerprint reader, though they have supposedly improved it over the 6. One other thing to consider is that it will have the same Samsung modem as the 6, which is a downgrade from the Qualcomm modem in the 5A. If you're in lots of areas with weak signal, the 6A will almost certainly have worse signal strength.

Overall I would say it is worth it, as you'll get a new warranty and the 6A will be worth more the next time you upgrade. It will be a decent upgrade in performance (especially games if you care), but if you're happy with the 5A, the fingerprint reader and modem are good reasons to keep it.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If you're in lots of areas with weak signal, the 6A will almost certainly have worse signal strength.
Hmm that might be a deal breaker for me. I'm out in the sticks and in and out of coverage all the time.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Hmm that might be a deal breaker for me. I'm out in the sticks and in and out of coverage all the time.

Weak signal areas are frustrating on my 6. Even if it does say I still have a connection, it's frequently close to unusable if I'm at 1 bar.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I find it amusing that they are touting the battery on the 6A as being something revolutionary, where it can get "up to 72 hours" with the aggressive battery saving option (whatever that is called).

I'm still rocking a 2XL, and if I don't do much on the phone (which is pretty standard for me, most days it sits on my desk at work and then sits on a desk at home, with some Kindle app reading on the shitter at work of course) it can last almost 4 full days. I'm not sure about the 24 hours of solid usage, but for standby it lasts fucking forever. And this is with a 4 year old phone, which is amazing to me because typically the batteries start to go to shit after 2 so you feel like buying a new one.

Now that I've said that, my battery will shit the bed :(

Funny thing is, I would immediately upgrade if any of these phones brought back the rear-mounted fingerprint reader. That is literally the only reason I've stayed with this phone. Well, and front facing speakers, but that's not a dealbreaker. Fuck whomever decided rear speakers was a good idea. And double fuck whomever took away my rear fingerprint reader!! It has also shown me how little actual benefit I get out of upgrading my phone constantly. You just get into that mindset and it becomes normal. Well, or the battery shits the bed I suppose.

If anyone knows of a new model phone with a rear fingerprint reader like the 2XL, I'll give you a celebratory handie if you're ever in my area.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I find it amusing that they are touting the battery on the 6A as being something revolutionary, where it can get "up to 72 hours" with the aggressive battery saving option (whatever that is called).

I'm still rocking a 2XL, and if I don't do much on the phone (which is pretty standard for me, most days it sits on my desk at work and then sits on a desk at home, with some Kindle app reading on the shitter at work of course) it can last almost 4 full days. I'm not sure about the 24 hours of solid usage, but for standby it lasts fucking forever. And this is with a 4 year old phone, which is amazing to me because typically the batteries start to go to shit after 2 so you feel like buying a new one.

Funny thing is, I would immediately upgrade if any of these phones brought back the rear-mounted fingerprint reader. That is literally the only reason I've stayed with this phone. Well, and front facing speakers, but that's not a dealbreaker. Fuck whomever decided rear speakers was a good idea. And double fuck whomever took away my rear fingerprint reader!! It has also shown me how little actual benefit I get out of upgrading my phone constantly. You just get into that mindset and it becomes normal. Well, or the battery shits the bed I suppose.

If anyone knows of a new model phone with a rear fingerprint reader like the 2XL, I'll give you a celebratory handie if you're ever in my area.

For the Pixels, the last one to have a rear fingerprint reader was the 5 and 5A.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Still on my Pixel 3, only smartphone I've ever owned.

Probably gonna get replaced with the Pixel 7 though due to security requirements.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

The 2XL is probably my favourite/best phone to date.

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have a 3a and didn't really have plans on upgrading, but they are also giving $300 trade in for the 3a. I'm just going to sell the buds. The biggest downside for me is that the 6 series no longer offers free photo/video backup of any type. I'd personally hold off on going from 5a to 6a, as the 6a does have some thermal issues and actually seems marginally worse than the 5a in a few areas. I'm only trading in my 3a because I'm getting more than what I paid for it, and the 3a only gets one more update. Once they quit giving updates trade in usually tanks. I could be wrong, but I would think your 5a will still qualify for top end trade in when the 7 comes out.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a 3a and didn't really have plans on upgrading, but they are also giving $300 trade in for the 3a. I'm just going to sell the buds. The biggest downside for me is that the 6 series no longer offers free photo/video backup of any type. I'd personally hold off on going from 5a to 6a, as the 6a does have some thermal issues and actually seems marginally worse than the 5a in a few areas. I'm only trading in my 3a because I'm getting more than what I paid for it, and the 3a only gets one more update. Once they quit giving updates trade in usually tanks. I could be wrong, but I would think your 5a will still qualify for top end trade in when the 7 comes out.
if you have prime you get unlimited backup