Smartphones

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So my kid has been working at some county recycling center on Saturdays, good cash like $250 per like 8 hours worked or some shit. Anyway so he comes home last week with a iphone 11, among other older phones. the 11 has cracked screen but all in all pretty good working order other than the screen cracks its like brand new. So he gives it to me for a promise of a steam game of his choice. I order another screen from amazon for $60, my other kid which is into electronics shit installs it and now I have a brand new looking fully functional iphone 11 256 gig. Saves me tons of cash from getting a new pohone since my samsing s7 has been getting a bit shitty. A couplde of gens old and its iphone, but who gives a fuck? It cost me $60 and a steam game for my kid, lol.

He also scored a working xbox360 with tons of acessories. Bunch of video cards, all older but one of them turned out to be a 1070 still working. He put that shit in his second computer. Fucking place is a gold mine if youre into that sort of shit. I guess this iphone refub is still like $400+

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
They need to make a Z Fold but with iOS since the fold 3 was the most unique phone ive used in years. However leaving iOS just hurts too much to use because android :/

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They need to make a Z Fold but with iOS since the fold 3 was the most unique phone ive used in years. However leaving iOS just hurts too much to use because android :/
"Because Android".

season 3 youre a fucking pussy GIF by Shameless

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just went from a Samsung 8+ to an iphone 13 pro max. Could probably bludgeon someone to death with this iphone. Thing is fucking solid and heavy as a brick.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Finally broke my Note8 from early 2018 when I dropped it after having one too many!

Got an S22 Ultra, anything cool that it does that isn't super obvious? Why the fuck are there like 5 lenses on this thing, lol

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Finally broke my Note8 from early 2018 when I dropped it after having one too many!

Got an S22 Ultra, anything cool that it does that isn't super obvious? Why the fuck are there like 5 lenses on this thing, lol
It actually uses AI with the various cameras to take the best picture possible. The zoom is pretty amazing as well. And the movie quality video.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fingerprint sensor is jacked and 2g of ram is killin my old phone.

Decided to get lg s last phone the wing

I wanted dual screen and just ram, anyway what are ppl using fir screen protection on curved glass? Ceramic coatings?

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally time to replace my 4.5 year old Pixel 2. Anyone have any Android recommendations? I don't need the latest and greatest, more interested in best bang for the buck. Love your phone? Does it cost less than a grand? Let me know!

Edit: I should probably mention I'm going to Europe in a couple weeks, and I plan to buy a prepaid sim card while I'm over there so my phone works. I think that means I need an unlocked phone? Not sure on that though

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I have the Samsung budget phone A53 or something like that. It was under $500. It does what a smartphone does.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have the Samsung budget phone A53 or something like that. It was under $500. It does what a smartphone does.

Yeah that sounds like what I'm looking for. Under $500 and does basic smartphone things. So many fucking choices these days, I'll need to figure out why it costs so much less than something like the S22. If it's just the camera, well, I can deal with that.

Edit: Easy enough- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G vs Samsung Galaxy A53 5G | Gizinfo.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

You experiencing any of this stuff?

It's okay, but...
3 out of 5 rating

HyperrS · 6 days ago
I bought this phone a few days after its release in March. The longer I have it, the more I realize that it just isn't the right phone for me. It lags a lot when you use the camera or video. It takes a lot of time to render the video for you to be able to shoot another video so you are sitting there waiting, while the moment is passing you by. Switching from apps is so laggy and sometimes touches don't register despite the touch sensitivity being way up. I've also noticed that there are connection issues with this phone that I didn't have with my older phone. I'm just not satisfied. I was hoping software updates might fix these problems in the long run, btu I just don't have time to wait for that since I use my phone for work.

Good phone - poor battery life.

3 out of 5 rating

Corellus · 10 days ago
I went to the Verizon store to talk with them to make sure I wasn't missing a secret setup feature and they said I had everything set up correctly to not excessively drain the battery. From a 100% charge, the phone reports I have 1.5 days of standby time and after 20 hours of being idle (no phone calls, games, videos, etc.) the phone has < 50% charge remaining. My LGK51 has ~93% in the same period - same conditions. Otherwise, the phone seems to handle my office 'dead zone' where I couldn't handle calls without it cutting out so I get every 5th word. I don't know if this is 5G vs. 4G, but my office is literally just a 1000 or so feet from the Verizon cell tower in the area. If the battery in my phone didn't dump amp-hours doing nothing - near as I can tell - it would be an awesome phone.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
SO one thing that I like in the iphone that android does not really have, or if it does its way more fucking difficult, is the privacy settings per app. You can basically turn all that tracking shit off because fuck all that shit. I wish android had that shit.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You experiencing any of this stuff?

It's okay, but...
3 out of 5 rating

HyperrS · 6 days ago
I bought this phone a few days after its release in March. The longer I have it, the more I realize that it just isn't the right phone for me. It lags a lot when you use the camera or video. It takes a lot of time to render the video for you to be able to shoot another video so you are sitting there waiting, while the moment is passing you by. Switching from apps is so laggy and sometimes touches don't register despite the touch sensitivity being way up. I've also noticed that there are connection issues with this phone that I didn't have with my older phone. I'm just not satisfied. I was hoping software updates might fix these problems in the long run, btu I just don't have time to wait for that since I use my phone for work.

Good phone - poor battery life.

3 out of 5 rating

Corellus · 10 days ago
I went to the Verizon store to talk with them to make sure I wasn't missing a secret setup feature and they said I had everything set up correctly to not excessively drain the battery. From a 100% charge, the phone reports I have 1.5 days of standby time and after 20 hours of being idle (no phone calls, games, videos, etc.) the phone has < 50% charge remaining. My LGK51 has ~93% in the same period - same conditions. Otherwise, the phone seems to handle my office 'dead zone' where I couldn't handle calls without it cutting out so I get every 5th word. I don't know if this is 5G vs. 4G, but my office is literally just a 1000 or so feet from the Verizon cell tower in the area. If the battery in my phone didn't dump amp-hours doing nothing - near as I can tell - it would be an awesome phone.
Nope. No lag that I notice. And I have never run out of power.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
SO one thing that I like in the iphone that android does not really have, or if it does its way more fucking difficult, is the privacy settings per app. You can basically turn all that tracking shit off because fuck all that shit. I wish android had that shit.

Beginning with 12, android does have a privacy dashboard and more granular per app permissions than previously. I don't know if it's as good as iOS yet, but it's being expanded in 13.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My whole family has been using Motorola stuff for years and they seem to like it. The G Power is like $180 and if you just want a phone that does all the phone stuff and has great battery life, that's what it is. I get through the day and night easily with my phone but my brother's G Power can usually make it to the end of a second day. I'm using a Pixel 5A which I like just fine but aside from maybe a better camera it's hard to say what I got for the extra $250. The Moto stuff is also pretty easy to replace screens on as I understand.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so i really like this lg wing, too bad it's only on android 11, i wanted to try 12 but apparently it's difficult for lg to update the os for cuz of the flip

anyway i like the flip, this phone is BEEFY tho, reminds me of my old droid w/ slide out keyboard, i can finally use qi charging, i have em around the house for my wifes iphones, my older lg phone didn't support it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Speaking of wireless charging, I have to give props to whoever told me to put the little sticker for it on my phone. I guess the only downside is you have to have a case, but the little $14 sticker thing works exactly like the phone having wireless charging. Can't believe I spent so much time trying to decide if wireless charging was a deal breaker for me on various phones when I could just add it on my self for $14.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Finally time to replace my 4.5 year old Pixel 2. Anyone have any Android recommendations? I don't need the latest and greatest, more interested in best bang for the buck. Love your phone? Does it cost less than a grand? Let me know!

Edit: I should probably mention I'm going to Europe in a couple weeks, and I plan to buy a prepaid sim card while I'm over there so my phone works. I think that means I need an unlocked phone? Not sure on that though
If you have a pixel why not stay with the pixel line and just get the 5a. My wife and I have the 4a and it's a solid phone. They were $350 but looks like the 5a has 5G capabilities so they raised the price to $450.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you have a pixel why not stay with the pixel line and just get the 5a. My wife and I have the 4a and it's a solid phone. They were $350 but looks like the 5a has 5G capabilities so they raised the price to $450.

Should have. Kinda hating this A53. I got passed at Google because I paid 1k for the Pixel 2xl and they stopped updating it 2 years after I bought it. Lots of bad shit started happening once the updates stopped, but fuck if I was going to pay 1k for a phone and only keep it 2 years. At least with Samsung they guarantee like 4 years of updates. Still kinda hate this phone tho