Smartphones

It's been rumored that the nexus 5 will be released at the end of the month. Additionally, an LTE version of the nexus 4 is speculated due to some recent FCC filing.

Which would you buy? Assuming the 4 stays at $200 and the 5 is $350. I might go with the cheaper one, just worried about the glass back. Any other well known problems with the 4?
The 200$ nexus 4 was only 8gb which is unacceptably small in my opinion. 16gb would be 250$ if it even exists.

I've never really understood skimping 100$ on a device you expect to use for multiple years so I would get a 5, but that is just me. Better screen, more drop resistant, snappier processor are the main reasons. The battery life should be better than the 4 as well.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
8gb might be too small. As for faster, better, etc, I get along just fine with a galaxy nexus now. Honestly, if I could buy a device that did gps, music, and phone calls, I'd be pretty happy. My smartphone really doesn't have to do much. My tablet picks up most of the slack now.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My Gnex has started turning itself off randomly the past couple days. Anyone encounter this sadness?

Will I have to bump up my Note 3 plans?
wink.png

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Can anyone comment on real world battery life of the 5S? I've got an S4 and the battery life is killing me. I hate to admit it, but other than the fantastic screen I just don't care for my S4. The wife loves it though, so I am contemplating giving it to her and getting the 5S.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
8gb might be too small. As for faster, better, etc, I get along just fine with a galaxy nexus now. Honestly, if I could buy a device that did gps, music, and phone calls, I'd be pretty happy. My smartphone really doesn't have to do much. My tablet picks up most of the slack now.
I get along just fine with my 8gb. The only thing that holds me back is loading music onto my phone. 90% of the time I stream it, and for the other 10% all of my music is loaded onto my tablet. Outside of that, I don't have any problems with storage. I don't use my phone for any video what-so-ever but that is the only other thing I could see storage becoming an issue with.

As far as whether to go 4 or 5, for me personally, the #1 thing I use my cell phone for outside of normal phone stuff is as a substitute for my point-and-shoot camera. For that reason alone I would splurge for the 5 if I were getting a new phone now. But having a 4 already I probably won't go through the hassle of selling my 4 and buying a 5, perfectly happy with the 4.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Can anyone comment on real world battery life of the 5S? I've got an S4 and the battery life is killing me. I hate to admit it, but other than the fantastic screen I just don't care for my S4. The wife loves it though, so I am contemplating giving it to her and getting the 5S.
When I had an S4(before I broke it), it was the best battery life I had ever seen in a phone up to that point. Are you running the screen at 100% brightness all the time or something? I usually have my screen around 1/3 on the brightness slider, unless I'm outside in direct sunlight. My S4 always easily lasted me all day, and then I'd just charge it overnight. Never once in the ~5 months that I had it did I have to charge it mid-day.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Honestly i think alot my problem is im in a rural are and travel from client to client during the day and im constantly bouncing off different towers. I go from full charge to under half in a few hours at some locations.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Swype > Swiftkey Flow for swipe typing, in my experience.

Swiftkey is definitely better than Swype for regular typing, though.
Just went back to Swiftkey after bashing my head against a wall for the last 6+ months with swype. I'm the guy that started the thread on their official forums about the god awful lag, 6 months later and plenty of posts from other users with the same problems and it's still not fixed. Keyboard takes 5-10 seconds to load, sometimes it doesn't load and there's just a white space there which lets me swype 5-6 words before it finally appears...just absolutely awful

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The wife picked up a 5S to replace her 3G about a week ago or so and doesn't appear to have any battery issues. She doesn't charge it at night because she falls asleep using it in bed. Plus she only had the one lightning charger since the store wanted $30+ per adapter.

I'm ready to replace my S3 and have to say using her 5S around the house had been great. I never wanted to make a judgement based on her 3G vs the S3, for obvious reasons. Anyways, it had been a good experience. I'm torn now between switching to AT&T for a Nexus device (do think I am finished with other vendor 'enhancements' to Android) or getting a 5S on Verizon. Verizon coverage blows away AT&T in Arkansas which makes me not want to switch.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Verizon is much better in NE OK as well. I really thought I would like the S4 a lot more than I do. I think I just used iOS for so long it's hard to make the switch.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
For those complaining about the price of lightning cables, Monoprice has certified 6' cables for just over $12. If you buy at least 3, and use promo code Survey13, you get them for just over $7.
yeah, those don't have the apple logo on them. will most likely burn your house down

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Gonna take a SWAG and say by the link: inductive, wireless, charging pad...you can charge your phone without a wire. That IS cool as shit for the first week until you've already shown all your friends.