Smartphones

Anyone know how to stop Hangouts from automatically screwing up pictures I send a MMS in 4.4? I wouldn't mind it making the images smaller and more manageable except for the fact that it sucks at it.

Any animated gifs I send out come back as a static image, and static images come back with tons of artifacts and garbage. I'm pretty sure it's an app problem and not a carrier problem as I had no problems with my old phone and it appears to work fine when using other apps.

I'd also be open to an alternative app that didn't suck (tried 8sms, GoSMS, and Handcent and didn't care for any of them).

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Any forum users with some feedback on the Nexus 5? Looking specifically for stuff that wouldn't be apparent in reviews that have only had the phone for a day. Like the Nexus 4's speaker volume problem. Usually Anandtech covers this stuff pretty well, but I have no idea where/when their review is.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Any forum users with some feedback on the Nexus 5? Looking specifically for stuff that wouldn't be apparent in reviews that have only had the phone for a day. Like the Nexus 4's speaker volume problem. Usually Anandtech covers this stuff pretty well, but I have no idea where/when their review is.
Coming from the N4, the N5 is a better phone in every way. There isn't a thing about it that I don't like more than the N4. It still doesn't have the loudest speaker, but i can lay it however I want and hear it ring. The battery isn't fantastic, but it is more than capable of lasting for a full day of use. What specifically are you worried about?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Nothing specific. I'm usually not an early adopter of technology because of things that can only become apparent after a month or two. And I was wondering if such things had.

It's especially important that this phone function as intended because I'm planning on transitioning to a contractless service at the same time. And I'm possibly going to be using VOIP to cover a cell phone hole at home. So if the phone has problems, that's going to irritate my wife even further even if they have nothing to do with the service or VOIP.

Siliconemelons

Okay ye lovelies of rerolled... my pre3 has been narrowly escapeing death for the past 2 months... the back cover is cracked and barely holds on- the power "button" (plastic part that presses the actual button) on the back cover comes off (due to crack) so if I drop it, the back will fly off and the button goes flying..if it gets lost = bad

the front screen bezel is gone and the glass screen edge is exposed- one drop on its side and its donemode.

it has died twice due to my little one teething on it- tons of drool seeping out of it, I had to yank the battery and hair dry it and leave it over night and thankfully it came back on...the last time things got a little wonky and it connected like 50 Active directory work accounts to my wife's personal contact account and some other odd things happend...

I feel this poor abused phone will not hold out much longer, so I need to be ready with knowing what phone I am to replace it with.

I like (love) physical keyboards

I like true multi-tasking of active apps

Exchange active sync is a must- email, calendar, tasks, AD account searching for contacts etc

Decent web browsing and a spattering of time wasting games is nice but not a deal breaker.

Verizon is my carrier and unlikely to change- I am on unlimited data no-contract.

BlackBerry Q10 and Droid Pro seem like my only choices :-( any other little magical gem out there I do not know about? please share!

My Smartphone history Samsung SPHi500 palm os - Palm Pre - Evo 4G (returned, back to palm pre) - - switch to verizon -- Samsung Galaxy 1 (whatever it was called) - Pre 2 - Pre 3 -> ???
Wife has had a bunch of android stuff and is now on an iPhone5 so I have used her phones also.

Inque

FunEmployed
Working for Verizon myself, I recommend you get used to not having a physical keyboard, otherwise the Q10 and the LG Enact are the top options. I'd recommend a Droid 4 but...yea, go with an LG G2 or the S4.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the universe has spoken, physical keyboards are a thing of the past. You are going to have to basically sacrifice every other aspect of the phone to hold on to that keyboard. Maybe down the road blackberry will pull their heads out of their asses and start making android phones with a good keyboard but for right now you would probably be better off practicing your touch screen typing.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
LoL Deathwing. In this thread he doesn't want to give up his keyboard and in another thread he doesn't want to get a headset that isn't cordless/bluetooth.

You old man.
tongue.png

Siliconemelons

I know that like... no one makes phystical keyboars (yet almost any and every poll that is done people still want them and say they are better than virtual...but i digress) - to make things worse i also do not like horizontal keyboards haha

BB10.2 adds I think android 4x or something runtime so you can toss APKs in the thing all day long... yeah I am most likely going to go the stupid Q10 once this pre3 gives up its battle with the magic smoke trying to escape.

I hope CES gives me something to look forward to.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How did you confuse my post with xadion's?

My reason for disliking bluetooth headsets is pragmatic. If I had a need for wireless, I'd pay for it gladly. I don't, so I don't want to throw away 30+ dollars on something I'll have to charge. No old man stuff here.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
whoops, my bad.

And I dunno, I don't consider $40 for a fantastic headset to be all that big of a deal I guess. To each their own sir, my comment was purely in jest anyway.
wink.png

Siliconemelons

I am an old cantankerous man.. EQ is the only real MMO! Physical keyboards are the best for work stuff on a phone! Rabble rabble rabble!

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any of you guys rolling the Galaxy Note 3? Pros/Cons? Wife came home wanting one which usually means I get the same upgrade. We've been using the Galaxy 3s since it released so probably time for an upgrade anyway.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've had the note 3 for a month now, fucking phenomenal. Best battery life I've ever seen in a phone by far. Streamed Google Music via 4G for 4 straight hours on a car ride home today, battery went from 94% to 91%. I can only think of 1 or 2 Days in the past month when I went to bed at night and had less than 50% battery life left. Damn thing has battery stamina likea tablet.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
A note on battery life. Currently the Nexus 5 and Note 3 are the only phones on the market that have Qualcomm's envelope tracking hardware. Also, Samsung might have implemented something similar to what Google did natively with KitKat by allowing the phone to go into a quasi sleep state while playing music. So, using streaming music as indicator of overall battery life might be slightly misleading since that heavily takes advantage of 1-2 new features.

Somewhat related, Anandtech's review of the Nexus 5 is up, in case anyone else was on the fence like myself.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Whatever the reason, it works and its great if it saves battery life:
Here's my usage for the day roughly 3-4 hours of Google Music, and maybe 1-1.5 hours of web browsing total today, spread out since 9am this morning
6FETmLM.png

Have only lost 23% of my battery with that usage over 11 hours, and I don't keep my screen super dim either, it stays constantly at about 50% brightness.

While not a sexy feature, the phone idles like a champ. Between the cell standby and the device idle there, that only comprised 15% of the 23% of total battery loss over 11.5 hours. So idling, I lost like 3% of my battery in probably 6-7 hours of idling today. Damn phone could idle for a week without a charge.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know if the google play store does holiday sales for the nexus devices? Going to be purchasing a nexus 5 soon, but I don't NEED it until March. I can wait a month or two if it means saving some money. And yes, I realize google already sells the nexus 5 with a subsidy, so the chances of this are very low.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Please don't laugh at me.

I'm using an original Droid still. Have Verizon, and my phone has unlimited data.

I really wanted a Nexus 5, but that's not going to happen apparently. First, what should I go with? I've been reluctant to ever get anything else just because it always seems like something new is coming out, or phones have all kinds of problems (sounds like N4 has issues?). I'm at the point where I'd even take an iPhone, cause my phone works like shit (I'm assuming every new patch for every single thing is just making it lock up).

Second, since I have unlimited data, is it worthwhile to buy a phone outright and try to keep the unlimited? I'd assume the answer is yes, but curious what your opinions are.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Check out the LG G2, it's mostly the same thing as the N5. The Note 3 is pretty cool, too, if you can deal with a 5.7" phone. Why can't you get a N5, by the way?