Smartphones

Anyone here already with Ting want me to use them as a referral? I'll be signing up with them soon.
I'm always down for some money off my bill! Even if you don't use mine make sure you do use a referral, you get money off your bill too.Ting - mobile that makes sense

I've had a great time with Ting so far, it's about a third the price and with their roaming agreements I've always had voice (they don't share data) even on long car drives in the middle of no where, so I don't miss that part of Verizon. It's nice to not feel like I'm getting lubed up and taken for a ride by Verizon... Welcome to the club!
wink.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
ART is definitely making a difference on my battery in idle at least. Yesterday I barely touched my phone, so after 18 hours of pretty much standby only, I still had 90% charge left. I was getting high 70's, maybe 80%, previously on days like that. HTC M8 One, btw. Sure is a nice change from sitting idle for 12 hours and having it beep at me that the battery was getting low (not an ART thing, just something else screwed up).

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm a bit fuzzy on how the Android infrastructure works - will the OnePlus One theoretically benefit from the Android L changes down the line, when their version of Cyanogen updates to follow? Is it even worth dealing with Cyanogen instead of normal Android if I don't care about rooting and I like using normal Google stuff? It sure looks nice though.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Cyanogen is usually pretty quick on integrating the newest version of Android in to their roms. Since Google released the developer preview for L already, I can only imagine that when the actual release happens that Cyanogen will come out with a stable build pretty quickly.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have they promised to keep up to date with Cyanogen versions though?

HTC has promised 4.4.4 by August and evaluation of L shortly after

I'm a bit fuzzy on how the Android infrastructure works - will the OnePlus One theoretically benefit from the Android L changes down the line, when their version of Cyanogen updates to follow? Is it even worth dealing with Cyanogen instead of normal Android if I don't care about rooting and I like using normal Google stuff? It sure looks nice though.
Google releases the source for Android, Cyanogen is generally pretty quick to integrate. I'd say there is a good chance, but I don't follow the OnePlus One much so I don't know exactly what their game plan is. I'd be really surprised if they don't keep up with the latest though. Unless you mean ART vs Dalvik, in which case it seems like every app converted over has much better performance, it's likely better all around, Cyanogen would probably benefit from the conversion.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm always down for some money off my bill! Even if you don't use mine make sure you do use a referral, you get money off your bill too.Ting - mobile that makes sense

I've had a great time with Ting so far, it's about a third the price and with their roaming agreements I've always had voice (they don't share data) even on long car drives in the middle of no where, so I don't miss that part of Verizon. It's nice to not feel like I'm getting lubed up and taken for a ride by Verizon... Welcome to the club!
wink.png
When I sign up I'll use you. I'm still debating on just buying a Sprint S3 and then selling my Verizon S3 or just get a Nexus 5. I really hate that it doesn't have a microsd slot. S3 would tie me over till the M8 becomes available to buy used. I'm not paying $600 for a phone. My contract isn't up till 7/8 so I have a little more time to decide.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
so whats the verdict on the one plus one? anyone have an invite?
I didn't even realize it was going to require an invite to buy one, that's kind of... goobery. I sort of understand their reasoning in the short term but it seems like a bad plan for longer runs. I would only be tempted to upgrade this year because it was so cheap, my M7 is still working fantastically (aside from shite battery life).

Vaclav

When I sign up I'll use you. I'm still debating on just buying a Sprint S3 and then selling my Verizon S3 or just get a Nexus 5. I really hate that it doesn't have a microsd slot. S3 would tie me over till the M8 becomes available to buy used. I'm not paying $600 for a phone. My contract isn't up till 7/8 so I have a little more time to decide.
There's used ones available on Glyde for under $600 - not that $472 is that much better.Buy a used HTC One M8 - 32GB - Grey - Sprint | Glyde

I'd double check to make sure ones that they haven't sold work though - mine's still under payment plan to Sprint so it's MEID is blocked for Ting so I can't check yet if paid Sprint off ones are valid yet.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's used ones available on Glyde for under $600 - not that $472 is that much better.Buy a used HTC One M8 - 32GB - Grey - Sprint | Glyde

I'd double check to make sure ones that they haven't sold work though - mine's still under payment plan to Sprint so it's MEID is blocked for Ting so I can't check yet if paid Sprint off ones are valid yet.
I did some checking on it yesterday and only ones bought from the Ting store can be used. All the other ones are locked to Sprint basicaly.

Vaclav

Yea, figured that based on their FAQ "Some feature phones are locked to their carrier (i.e. Sprint) for around a year after their release" - wasn't 100% sure though since they're selling M8's already.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Have they promised to keep up to date with Cyanogen versions though?

HTC has promised 4.4.4 by August and evaluation of L shortly after
No quite sure what you mean by that. The OnePlus runs actual Cyanogenmod, not some special rom just based on Cyanogenmod. The Cyanogenmod devs are the ones in charge of updating the OS so it will get updates just like any other device running Cyanogenmod. Hell, it may even be given priority over most other devices.

Vaclav

No quite sure what you mean by that. The OnePlus runs actual Cyanogenmod, not some special rom just based on Cyanogenmod. The Cyanogenmod devs are the ones in charge of updating the OS so it will get updates just like any other device running Cyanogenmod. Hell, it may even be given priority over most other devices.
In other words you're thinking it won't get any OTA updates? Most people don't manually update.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
In other words you're thinking it won't get any OTA updates? Most people don't manually update.
CM has been doing OTA updates since CM 10 if not earlier. Hell, a lot of roms do that nowadays. I imagine the OnePlus by default will only get stable OTAs and you'll be able to opt in to betas and nightlies like any other CM release.

Vaclav

Unless you're using a Nexus phone you really should bother.
Went from Nexus to M8 and have the Google Launcher installed without needing to root - so only really behind the scenes would be different (and frankly 90% of the time I prefer Sense)

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looks like there's lots of drama and bitching on the OnePlus One forums about the phone and the company, although the company claims otherwise. Not sure what is going on over there. The complaints definitely cast a pall over the device though, it looks slick as hell but if the software isn't ready, call quality issues, and light issues, that's pretty serious.

Whatever the case, I can hold onto my HTC One for a while yet. I just really want better battery life. Hopefully whatever shiny thing catches my eye next year or whenever will have a better battery.