Smartphones

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
That 2 finger swipe down works on my Blu even. I'm guessing most of this shit is a android thing more than a brand thing.
Any other cool shortcuts? Like when scrolling, I ALWAYS select shit by accident, have to hit back and pray I can scroll again without opening up random gay shit.
That's a shortcut that was built in to android starting around 4.2 IIRC. Whether it still works on non stock android depends on how much fuckery the manufacturer engages in. Blu keeps things pretty much stock, so anything that would work on the same version of stock android should work for you.

As far as hitting stuff while scrolling, are you talking about in the app drawer or in an app? Unfortunately, how each app developer uses the back button can be pretty inconsistent in android. Sometimes it goes to the previous screen, sometimes it goes back further. I especially loathe lazy iphone ports that keep an in app back button.

Oldbased

> Than U
I mean when using browser like chrome I will select links trying to scroll.
Also when texting I will speak to text and get shit exactly like I want a book written out, everything is perfect, I hit send and it will change half the damn words on me. That pisses me off too.

Another thing I noticed last night by accident is I have had issues with the data, was getting like .1 mbs connection when out and about, pretty unusable.
Last night I had sensory running trying to figure out why others with same network was getting such higher speeds in my city and when my phone was laying flat, not moving on a surface I was getting 7 mbs but when I picked it up and held it in place it went back to .1 again.

Is common or possibly just a phone design thing( my hand maybe messing up signal like Iphones had awhile?)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Selecting links while swiping sounds like a bad touchscreen. Are you pressing it hard it enough? The screen determines where you are touching it based on changes in electrical capacitance due to the human body. It's the reason you can't use a touchscreen with normal gloves, they're electrical insulators.

What app are you using for texting? Never heard of something changing the text after entering it unless it's a smiley.

It's possible, but I'd hope manufacturers had learned their lesson after the grip o death. Download an app that report the cell signal in dbm, you'll be able to easily tell if your grip is causing signal attenuation.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
If you're touching lightly on the screen as you scroll, so the phone may interpret that as a tap instead of a press and drag, so as Deathwing said, make sure you are pressing firmly enough. Blu's phones are decent, inexpensive phones, so they may have cut some corners on the touchscreen.

The texting thing seems odd, are you using voice recognition built in to a keyboard or something like Google Now to send your texts? The only thing I can think of is that the keyboard is trying to autocorrect whatever it gets from voice recognition after the voice program has done it's thing. Might want to test this out in different texting apps and maybe a text editor or somesuch, just to figure out what is making changes to the text.

As far as your data speeds, Deathwing is spot on that you want to see if your signal is degrading when you hold your phone. This could be due to compromises made in the phone's design to keep costs down.

Oldbased

> Than U
Ahh I had it backwards. I was going lightly to try to not select links, firmer and faster does fix that thanks!

I am using standard messaging on the phone. I remember when I got it , it asked me some settings but now when I go to chat/text settings I see nothing to change regarding it.
Like earier I had typed what type of Hardi for outside. When I hit send, it changed it to party. When I sent another text to say party should have been hardi it changed it to potty.
It's like my phone wants me to beat it or something. Damn kids these days.

Edit-
I can't get my data to be slow like last night or the previous first month I had now. Everywhere I went today I had 6-21mbs connection.
I thought laying it on the desk caused it but it was the same time I paid next months bill.
I'm wondering now if I was throttled the first month for some reason and when I changed my data plan and paid it did something to bump me up in speed. It shouldn't have but it seems like it did.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Sounds just like voice recognition is just having some issues recognizing certain words. If you are using the regular Google voice recognition, enabling audio history in the settings will allow Google to improve recognition for you. If you care, this does mean recordings will be sent to Google.

IIRC the default texting client Blu has on there should be the old android messaging app, which hasn't received a significant update since gingerbread. You might want to give another texting client a try. I use Hangouts, which is nice because it merges texts and hangouts messages in to one conversation, but there are plenty of good texting clients.

If you're on android 4.4, you can change your default texting app by going to settings>more>default SMS app. If you're on 4.3 or earlier, you just disable notifications for all apps but the one you want to use.

As far as your data issues, It's possible there was some network congestion or throttling going on, but it doesn't make sense that it was only happening while you were holding it. Maybe you had a weak signal to begin with and picking up the phone affected the signal just enough to kill your data. I don't know anything about that kind of stuff, so I'm just pulling this out of my ass.

Oldbased

> Than U
Ya it is the latest. I do have Hangouts installed but had been using the default. I'll try hangouts then.

On the data issues, right after I posted that I have gone back to no connection again from according to sensory a 12mbs average for over 12 hours in the same location area.
Sitting in the same spot as last night where I got nothing then had 6-7 and then again all day I have nothing again. No connection retry and ping went from 100ms to over 1000 and timeouts.
So it isn't me holding it or the bill thing, just it come and goes randomly. Odd considering I have 3-4 bars constantly, but either it works or it doesn't work at all.
My whole town is blanketed in Very good to Excellent according to Tmobile, but one place in town in the middle of a excellent coverage I could never get it to work at all while on the jobsite.

Does anyone know if the airplane mode trick still works for picking up the best tower?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Damn shame wifi calling wont work on 1+1, have to wait for note 4
frown.png

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think AT&T just turned on LTE in my town. The icon just suddenly came on.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Looks cool. Looks gimicky as well although I'm sure the folks on XDA will make it more and more useful as times goes on. I've never been sitting there wishing I had text in that spot to do something but I could see some use for people that use multi window all the time.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's very cool looking but aren't you going to be bumping that thing all the time? I already can't hand my phone to my Mom to show her a picture without her accidentally pressing 37 things on the touchscreen.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
OnePlus came in today. Never thought I'd say this but holy shit that was some awesome packaging. Felt like a little kid figuring out how to open it all up. Very high speed.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
OnePlus came in today. Never thought I'd say this but holy shit that was some awesome packaging. Felt like a little kid figuring out how to open it all up. Very high speed.
That's pretty much how I felt when I got my package. If you're looking to stay stock on CM11S (That's what I'm running) I'd highly recommend loading the 33R update. It has some improvements to things like screen-off gestures and touchscreen sensitivity.

[ ROM ][ Aug 21 ] Stock Rooted 4.4.4 XNPH33R | OnePlus One | XDA Forum

You'll need to unlock your bootloader and install a custom recovery. Make sure you turn off the "Update CM recovery" option under developer options or you'll overwrite your current recovery. I'm running TWRP and it works great.

Absolutely LOVE the phone. What are your thoughts on the sandstone back cover? It seems to stay in hand very well, unlike things like the M7/M8.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm liking the back but we'll see how it holds up. I keep my phones naked so hopefully it looks good with lots of use.

I'm on 33r. Ota got to it after a few updates.

I've been a long time XDA member under a different name so the first thing I did was flash twrp and root. I have a few things to check out but stock is really solid.

Very impressed with the device so far and with more and more people opting for contact free plans I can see devices like this destroying overpriced Samsung, HTC etc over time. Between this and the nexus 6 it's a great year for no contract high end phones for relative cheap.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
We arefinallytalking seriously about going to smartphones/data plans. I have several remedial questions. Should I ask them here and be mocked?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You're you, so some mocking is a given. But you'll get your answers too I'm sure.