Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
It's probably water resistant, not waterproof, same as the Pebble.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Apple watch you can probably shower only, will probably die if you swim cuz it's only rated for 1m for 30mins, pebble can go 50m. For reference i don't swim, but i've showered with my pebble everyday for over a year.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
First Apple watch:

ILIFUJu.jpg

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone here an original pebble backer who is NOT going to back the new pebble time steel?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
So, out with it. Who ordered an Apple Watch? Other than Column, of course.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I work for Apple (it's a great job while in school), and they are giving employees at 50% discount for the next 3 months on the watch, then I assume it will go back to the normal 25% personal/15% friends and family discount range.

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm saying I can't see it selling 3-5 million units in it's first wave - it's more expensive than the price most people get their iPhones at (thanks to subsidies), it's utility is situational and even the Moto360 that looks better and is cheaper and works with more phones along with more functionality currently isn't selling that well.

The one dude was implying he could buy one for resale - and I just don't imagine the demand will be there.(And frankly, even if I'm wrong - if they're producing 3-5m of them and they do sell well, they'll be churning out more quickly anyhow - there's not much catching up to do if you can produce that many in the short time they've allocated to producing them)
http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.p...=1#post1029051

Well I'll quote you if it does, and FYI that screenshot was taken from the trailer you linked for the newest Pebble...

Apple sold out completely of the watch in 6 hours....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/...t-in-six-hours

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Hopefully roaving monsters use the watch as an identifier and eats everyone wearing one.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I just don't understand how the watch is going to do anything with the battery life it supposedly has. 18 hours mixed use means it's gone in 8-10 hours during a normal work day. Everyone I know who has an iPhone (and to be fair many of the flagship Android phones too) is a complete slave to cords, battery extenders, etc.

But nothing new there, batteries have been the number one bottleneck on basically everything electronic these days.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I bet you the preorders allowed are a fraction of the total 3-5m production they quoted.

They don't just sell most of their stuff directly. Big box stores and mobile carriers will most likely be stocking it as well.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Oh shit, I just had a horrifying vision... remember when PTT Nextel devices were all the rage? Imagine entire rooms full of people on iWatch trying to have a speakerphone conversation on their watch in a public area. FML.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We'll never know how many they sell, they don't report numbers on that kind of thing. I'm sure it will be the most successful smart watch when it comes out, but at this point that's not saying much.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
I got a chance to see a few of them today, our Apple Business Team rep was coming in for something else and brought a few demo units.

It feels like a nice device, the nicest looking smartwatch I've seen so far (not saying much), and still not something that remotely interests me. He had a sport, one with the stainless links, and one with the milanese (sp?) band. Ironically I thought the sport was the nicest looking, it was the dark gray one with a black band. The band felt much nicer than most sport-type bands, if they keep improving the exercise monitoring stuff and decrease the size a bit it may be useful in a few revisions.

The more 'fashionable' bands were a complete miss for me, I can't see replacing my normal watches with a trumped up Casio.

All that being said, they supposedly hit 1m sales on the first day, and I wouldn't be shocked if they're past 2m by the weekend. Good time to own AAPL.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I still don't see the draw. Similar functionality to a Pebble 2nd gen and 1/10th the battery life. Still requires your phone for anything more than the basics, which, again, is the same as the Pebble.

I mean, sure, it's got an Apple logo on it, so that's an immediate buy for some people, but a lot of reviews are pegging the device as laggy and unresponsive at times. The 1st gen Pebble is pretty snappy, even if it is a bit basic by comparison.