Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
My iPhone's plenty useful. This watch, in my opinion, isn't (at least, no more so than a Pebble).

But, yes, Apple is not a technology company, at least not solely. Hasn't been for a long time.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Among the people around me, friends and co-worker...there seem to be some interest/curiosity from the people who actually use a regular watch already, versus the people who don't use watches at all who seem to have little to no interest in it.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Yes, after you responding TO THAT POST when I was talking about reselling. I was talking about one thing, YOU tried to discuss a different topic.It's amazing how fucking illiterate you are, while claiming to be a millionaire inventor.
Hahahahaha yeah people are really buying this crap from Gollum err Column.

a5ad0Cq.gif

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The pebble is good for NOTIFICATION, but thats it, it will be useless for the interactive txt'er.

example, if this is you.

a "whats up"
b "not much"
a "lol bored much?"
b "naw chllin at work"
a "yolo dawg!"

And that takes place in a matter of 10seconds, nope.

if however you like getting texts/emails like
"be late coming home tonite"
"apple stock up"
"meeting has change"

I don't have a ringtone, hell my phone isn't even on vibrate, goes straight to my watch and i see who it is and if i want to ignore or not.

you could even download an app to give a quick response to texts if you feel the need to respond.

The pebble apps are huge, and they have a 2year headstart on the apple apps, apple has to play catch up with the phone apps. Just imagine the iphone w/o the app store, it's useless (iphone1). while i'm sure retards will want to make apps for the apple watch, all the needs are already being done by pebble.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Apple watch is great. Its an immediate indicator who ever you are talking to is a terrible person.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The pebble apps are huge, and they have a 2year headstart on the apple apps, apple has to play catch up with the phone apps. Just imagine the iphone w/o the app store, it's useless (iphone1). while i'm sure retards will want to make apps for the apple watch, all the needs are already being done by pebble.
This is entirely true but the thing is the Apple brand is enough to drive an insane amount of support for the Apple Watch. Anecdotely I'm involved in a mobile project just designed to take advantage of the mobile apps and smart watches market that they expect to occur as a result of Apple releasing it's watch. They have considered the Pebble and several Android based watches to also develop for but decided to exclusively develop for the Apple watch initially. With possible follow ups on Android smart watches. They are doing thisjustso they won't be behind in the future massive smart watch development for the Apple Watch. This is even KNOW how large a lead Pebble has.

The Apple Watch looks like it should be a failure on paper but the Apple Brand may just be so big that it forces it to be a success. It is really hard to judge.

Edit: If Apple can manage to cause 3 million of it's predicted 5 million launch window Apple Watches then it will be a hit and it's own success with drive apps to it.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a basis peak, I use an iphone, I see zero reason to "upgrade" to an iwatch... zero. It seems worse in pretty much every way.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Sure, but the purpose of any watch > $20 isn't to tell you the time. A $1,000 watch is jewelry that happens to tell the time. Nothing wrong with any of that, and I do think it's a nice item that can be passed on to future generations (although it might just go the way of the pocket watch: something you keep in a safety deposit box because it has sentimental value, but wouldn't actually use day to day). It's just a completely different domain from a smartwatch.
But there in lies the irony. The iwatch cannot be a piece of jewlery because, like with all modern day technology, it has a finite shelf life, its a throw away item. Something that cannot be timeless, like a gold locket, pair of diamond earnings, or a watch.

But people will buy it, the majority of people who by it will be for the status it shows, just like a piece of jewlery. Congrats apple, you just invented throw away jewlery!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I like the idea of a smart watch and I will probably get one once they have been out for a couple generations. It's not a "problem" to pull out your phone (unless you're driving) but 90% of the times that the thing beeps it's for something that's not important and I ignore it so sometimes I don't notice text messages or emails that I probably should have noticed. I like the idea of being able to glance at my watch for 1/4 of a second and know whether it's one of the many useless notifications or something worth dragging the phone out for. I also miss wearing a regular watch just because with a watch on you always know what time it is. I guarantee you will check the time 10-100 times more per day on your wrist than you will in your pocket.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I like the idea of a smart watch and I will probably get one once they have been out for a couple generations. It's not a "problem" to pull out your phone (unless you're driving) but 90% of the times that the thing beeps it's for something that's not important and I ignore it so sometimes I don't notice text messages or emails that I probably should have noticed. I like the idea of being able to glance at my watch for 1/4 of a second and know whether it's one of the many useless notifications or something worth dragging the phone out for. I also miss wearing a regular watch just because with a watch on you always know what time it is. I guarantee you will check the time 10-100 times more per day on your wrist than you will in your pocket.
sounds like you want a pebble. I was washing dishes and listening to a podcast, phone rings. i don't have to drop the sponge, dry my hands, i just flick my wrist and see my wife is calling. then i just hit my headphones and talk to her. if it had been an unknown number or a friend, i'd probably click to ignore, on watch, and call back later.

and these are physical buttons, i have no idea how many real vs, touchscreen the apple watch will be, but i like fucking real buttons on a watch.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Does the apple watch have any level of waterprooing? Because taking it off to wash my hands is a no go.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Cook (CEO) has said he wears it in the shower, so I imagine it's at least somewhat resistant. Probably cant go swimming with it.