Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so far galaxy watch 4 is inferior to gtr4, this might be unfair b/c i just got the gw4 b/c it was on sale for $140, i'm gonna now get the 46mm gw4 CLASSIC, b/c the glassic has a rotating bezel that you use as a scroll wheel like the apple crown and gtr4 crown

battery life is still shit, this one will have a bigger battery, the gw5 does NOT have a version w/ rotating bezel, so thats a no go

i'm rocking 1 watch on each arm to review, lulz

the gw4 watch is a "smart" watch tho, even tho i have to install app after app (wear app, then if i want to monitor bp i have to separately install samsung health, then if i want gmail notifications i have to install outlook???)

it is still a functioning smartwatch vs. the gtr4 which is a great health tracker

like i can install samsung browser on the watch and i can browse a website and reference a recipe for hot and sour soup i'm making right now, so thats pretty legit.

Last edited:

Oldbased

> Than U
Still rocking my Fitbit Sense, going on 2 years now, still flawless.
Love it has the ECG as well as spo2, temp sensor and so on.
Still got a GW1 and a Fitbit Versa2 that works laying around.
One thing I've noticed all year is the sense only lasts 24 hours but charges up in an hour with AOD( always on display ). Used to last 36-48. Not sure if updates/watch face I am using did it or if the battery degraded a bit. None of these watches have much of a battery to begin with. Usually 100-250 mah.
I looked at upgrading before Black Friday and doesn't seem like anything has much changed in the past 2 years on the android/Google side, certainly not enough to justify spending hundreds of dollars.

Fitbit never got around to adding basic function like heart rate alarms and shit. It's in the app but when you exceed the levels you set, it doesn't even notify you.
The other night I broke out in a sweat in a 62 degree room and looked down and the watch said 190 bpm. That would do it. Would have been nice to know I was taching out before it peaked. Not that I can do much at home to shock my heart right other than risking a key in an outlet but still.
After Google bought them, they updated like 2 more times and been ages now, also very few products have released under that name.
Appears Google is just bleeding them out while pushing their smart things and wear tech in partnership with Samsung.
Shame.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Still rocking my Fitbit Sense, going on 2 years now, still flawless.
Love it has the ECG as well as spo2, temp sensor and so on.
Still got a GW1 and a Fitbit Versa2 that works laying around.
One thing I've noticed all year is the sense only lasts 24 hours but charges up in an hour with AOD( always on display ). Used to last 36-48. Not sure if updates/watch face I am using did it or if the battery degraded a bit. None of these watches have much of a battery to begin with. Usually 100-250 mah.
I looked at upgrading before Black Friday and doesn't seem like anything has much changed in the past 2 years on the android/Google side, certainly not enough to justify spending hundreds of dollars.

Fitbit never got around to adding basic function like heart rate alarms and shit. It's in the app but when you exceed the levels you set, it doesn't even notify you.
The other night I broke out in a sweat in a 62 degree room and looked down and the watch said 190 bpm. That would do it. Would have been nice to know I was taching out before it peaked. Not that I can do much at home to shock my heart right other than risking a key in an outlet but still.
After Google bought them, they updated like 2 more times and been ages now, also very few products have released under that name.
Appears Google is just bleeding them out while pushing their smart things and wear tech in partnership with Samsung.
Shame.
sounds like your battery is nearing end of life

Oldbased

> Than U
It's been that way all year though. Also I will add, my band broke I bought a long time ago for it so I ordered this band below. Didn't know how much I would like a magnetic band but holy shit it is awesome in every way. I can adjust it on the fly with no effort and it holds strong. It is so comfortable too
1670103456299.png

Oldbased

> Than U
I switched clock faces today ( I own the whole NTPR library of 175 watch faces ) and battery usage dropped a ton.
Also put a info mod on it and battery health is still>90%
Also was shocked to see they had released a Fitbit Sense 2 2 months ago and is cheaper than the Sense at $189.
It's basically identical though, they made it thinner, they removed haptic sensor and replaced with a button( notorious for hitting the haptic by accident ), they added 20 exercise modes and updated the biosensor. That's about it. Oh they added a stress sensor to the powercore meaning instead of holding hand on screen for 30 seconds, it just it on it's own 24/7 now for stress detection.
Still no Google Wear though so it is clear Google spent the last year not focusing on Fitbit and left that team mostly to their own creations.
Noticed they released a Versa4 for $150 and new Charge as well but at $189 the Sense 2 is very feature packed, lacking only the new BS possible tech and BP checking.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I switched clock faces today ( I own the whole NTPR library of 175 watch faces ) and battery usage dropped a ton.
Also put a info mod on it and battery health is still>90%
Also was shocked to see they had released a Fitbit Sense 2 2 months ago and is cheaper than the Sense at $189.
It's basically identical though, they made it thinner, they removed haptic sensor and replaced with a button( notorious for hitting the haptic by accident ), they added 20 exercise modes and updated the biosensor. That's about it. Oh they added a stress sensor to the powercore meaning instead of holding hand on screen for 30 seconds, it just it on it's own 24/7 now for stress detection.
Still no Google Wear though so it is clear Google spent the last year not focusing on Fitbit and left that team mostly to their own creations.
Noticed they released a Versa4 for $150 and new Charge as well but at $189 the Sense 2 is very feature packed, lacking only the new BS possible tech and BP checking.
i do like using wearos vs. zepp the gtr4 os

Oldbased

> Than U
i do like using wearos vs. zepp the gtr4 os
Ya, the use of wearOS should have been included into the new releases but Fitbit still doesn't have it, nor any of the google functions. I get lots like Fitbit for being Fitbit but is is owned by Google now and they clearly state it on Fitbit's site as they sell the pixel watch there which has LTE4 function meaning if you have a 2nd cell plan you don't even need your phone to make/receive calls/texts on the road. Good for things like fishing/running and so forth where a bulky phone sucks.
I for one was hoping the new releases had it, another year maybe.

In the reviewers defense of Sense2/+ others not having it is that the Fitbit app is pretty decent in giving you all the info you want, but moreso if you pay the Prem which I don't.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ya, the use of wearOS should have been included into the new releases but Fitbit still doesn't have it, nor any of the google functions. I get lots like Fitbit for being Fitbit but is is owned by Google now and they clearly state it on Fitbit's site as they sell the pixel watch there which has LTE4 function meaning if you have a 2nd cell plan you don't even need your phone to make/receive calls/texts on the road. Good for things like fishing/running and so forth where a bulky phone sucks.
I for one was hoping the new releases had it, another year maybe.

In the reviewers defense of Sense2/+ others not having it is that the Fitbit app is pretty decent in giving you all the info you want, but moreso if you pay the Prem which I don't.
fitbitos should still be pretty good, i remember them incorporating a bit of pebbleos when they bought it out

Oldbased

> Than U
Samsung's latest update for my Galaxy Watch 4 just bricked it.
Had this happen with my Versa 2 long ago. Long press like 30 seconds reset it to factory and fixed it.
Should be a way to reset it back hopefully for Samsung. Only ever owned the Galaxy 1 watch.

Jovec

?
Had this happen with my Versa 2 long ago. Long press like 30 seconds reset it to factory and fixed it.
Should be a way to reset it back hopefully for Samsung. Only ever owned the Galaxy 1 watch.

It's dead, Jim.

Apparently they stopped auto-updating to this build, but I was poking around in the Wear app, did a "check for updates" and applied it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's dead, Jim.

Apparently they stopped auto-updating to this build, but I was poking around in the Wear app, did a "check for updates" and applied it.

i had to put mine on the charge and long hold top or bottom button or maybe both?

Oldbased

> Than U
Woke up today looked at my wrist and all I see a circuit board. WTF
Found screen under me, was shocked to see it is less thick than a credit card.
Wire was attached so I plug it back into circuit board and everything is fine. Screen held on by a rubbery sticky gasket. So I put a dab of super glue in 2 spots, back to normal. First breakdown of the Sense I've had.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Woke up today looked at my wrist and all I see a circuit board. WTF
Found screen under me, was shocked to see it is less thick than a credit card.
Wire was attached so I plug it back into circuit board and everything is fine. Screen held on by a rubbery sticky gasket. So I put a dab of super glue in 2 spots, back to normal. First breakdown of the Sense I've had.
pretty sure that watch is saying retire me

Oldbased

> Than U
pretty sure that watch is saying retire me
Was going to until screen worked 100% when I plugged it back in.
They did a review of the Sense 2 that came out last month, it is basically the same as Sense, as Sense was the leader in function/features/biopod sensors for several years. Not going to replace it until I have too.

Jovec

?
It's dead, Jim.

First text support interaction with Samsung: Initially was with a likely chatbot, eventually get texted by an actual rep. Discuss the issue, rep collects my info and... nothing. No text with RMA info, nothing prepaid label emailed to me, nada. I waited close to 2 weeks (RL) and try again.

Second text support interaction: Start fresh, get to actual rep who acknowledges the issue as know. Says I can either go to support center or mail it in. I want to mail it in since online reports say support centers cannot fix it locally, but rep says otherwise. Says it's a same day repair. I get a case/reference number to show in-store.

A week later I go to a Samsung Experience store (Apple store knock-off). No, I don't have an appointment. I sign in to wait, they say there is one person ahead of me. Store has more employees than customers (never a good sign). Wait close to 45 minutes with no indicition on when I might be next. Another guy walks in and overhear his watch issue. Rep takes his watch to tech so I talk to the guy. Ask about his watch and issue. Same as mine. He checks is software version and it's the one doing the bricking. Rep comes back with his watch and says tech said they have to order the parts and it will be at least two weeks. Also tells him it will be two hours before it will be his turn. Guy leaves and so do I.

I might try support one more time for mail in. If not watch gets the hammer and I will take a look at Google and Apple.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
galaxy watch would not connect to phone for a few days, couldn't do anything about it, had to factory reset and wipe everything.

got so annoying that i'm pretty much gonna be a faggot and get an iphone/iwatch next time i upgrade

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
galaxy watch would not connect to phone for a few days, couldn't do anything about it, had to factory reset and wipe everything.

got so annoying that i'm pretty much gonna be a faggot and get an iphone/iwatch next time i upgrade
I was surprised how easy the transition was from my 2XL to iPhone 12Pro. Bought an Apple Watch when I upgraded to a 13Pro. Integration is definitely a plus of being in the Apple ecosystem.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I just got the pixel watch 2 that came with my pixel 8 pro. I thought I'd test it to see if it can replace my Fitbit charge 5

My first frustration was how the screen times out in stopwatch mode by overlaying the actual time over the stopwatch lol, so you have to flick your wrist to wake the screen to actually see the stop watch. Retarded.

It's handy having a hue light toggle on the watch face I guess. Voice commands get tedious and my coming home lights on automation is slow.

Battery life might be the killer, as the charge 5 can go almost a week before needing a charge

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I wish I hadn't kept the Pixel Watch 2. Even trading it for £100 store credit at a local software/hardware exchange place would have been better than this.

It offers very little over my Charge 5. I can't even sell it second hand now because the face had multiple light scratches after just 2 weeks, despite not taking any bumps or collisions. I can only assume the scratches came from my sleeping position with arms under a pillow. There's also a significant deep scratch that also appeared after 2 weeks - so I guess the trade in value is even less than if it was brand new.

I thought I could use it to control my Hue lights, but there's no offical app and the third party one I bought has a 3-4 second delay before executing. So that when you press the toggle switch on the clockface you have no idea if you actually pressed the right zone, which then becomes an on-off-on-off again sequence lol.

Using Google pay at the supermarket is inconvenient as I still have to open the app to choose my store loyalty card before the payment card, so it's easier to do this on the phone.

The only advantage the watch has is the ease of use to see notififications, but this does not justify the daily charging vs 5 day battery life of the Charge 5

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user