Smokers / Grills

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
How much you want to spend?
Maverick 732 is good and is about 60 bucks.

Thermoworks smoke is 99.

There are tons out there.

But those two I have used.

Igrill is good,
Thermpro tp20 is good but the one I had stopped syncing with the receiver. I use the base unit for my instant read temps if I am doing grilling, etc...

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I've got one of these.
There are newer models that connect by bluetooth to a cell phone, instead of the dedicated receiver. I don't know how the bluetooth range is, my 732 reaches a solid 20-30 feet through multiple walls of a house. Once you get used to it it's pretty easy to program.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
How much you want to spend?
Maverick 732 is good and is about 60 bucks.

Thermoworks smoke is 99.

There are tons out there.

But those two I have used.

Igrill is good,
Thermpro tp20 is good but the one I had stopped syncing with the receiver. I use the base unit for my instant read temps if I am doing grilling, etc...

I also have the Thermopro tp20, no issues for me and works perfectly for the $60 range.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Everything from thermoworks is worth the money IMO. I have 4 of their thermometers including the smoke and they are rock solid. Also when I broke the battery cover on my 5 year old thermapen I ordered a new one and the order form asked me why I was buying it. I said it was because my old one broke. 15 minutes later I got an email asking what happened and I told them that the battery cover broke. Without me even asking they shipped me a new battery cover and a tiny bag of jelly belly jelly beans.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
another update for my gmg jim bowie- damn ignitor went kaput again...granted i have used the thing a lot this year (gone thu like 180lbs of pellets) but it sucks when there is not any FIRE!!

just ordered 4 ignitors (13 bucks each) which should hopefully last me a year or two)

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I have never paid for a GMG part, they always overnight them to me for free. After 5 different items went bad on my first GMG they told me I got a dud and to just take it back to the store and get a new one for free. GMG has great customer service.

On a separate note I got the pizza stone insert for my GMG and it is awesome.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I pulled the trigger on a Yoder YS640 pellet grill and it arrived yesterday. Just finished putting it together and it's built like a tank. This is all Kiroy Kiroy 's fault as I was unaware of this company and probably would have been happy with a Traeger before I knew these existed. Going to be making pulled pork sliders with it for the Superbowl on Sunday and I might do a chicken Saturday just to make sure everything is working correctly.

Here's my empire of grills now.

View attachment 160760

well bitch I finally did it since they integrated the fireboard wifi into their box. Got my ys640s a few days ago and have been having a blast with it. Shit's insane. My gmg buddy is so jelious I think he's gonna sell his gmg and dirtbike to buy one. Got the comp cart to go with it. Oof

How you liking yours still? I know rust is an issue but they give you a can of their paint now so you can patch / repair.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Congratulations. You won't regret it. I'm still loving mine. It does have a little rust on it but other than that it's been flawless. I have a buddy that I told about them and he had one all ordered and then ran into an aggressive Traeger salesman who made him an offer he couldn't refuse. He was out last winter when I was making brisket though and he was kicking himself. The competition cart is really nice but I choked on the price.

I hadn't noticed they had a new controller. I have been thinking of buying a fireboard. It doesn't really look like that is quite a replacement for a fireboard but it seems nice to be able to change the temp over wifi. I'll think about upgrading when the retrofit kit comes out.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Congratulations. You won't regret it. I'm still loving mine. It does have a little rust on it but other than that it's been flawless. I have a buddy that I told about them and he had one all ordered and then ran into an aggressive Traeger salesman who made him an offer he couldn't refuse. He was out last winter when I was making brisket though and he was kicking himself. The competition cart is really nice but I choked on the price.

I hadn't noticed they had a new controller. I have been thinking of buying a fireboard. It doesn't really look like that is quite a replacement for a fireboard but it seems nice to be able to change the temp over wifi. I'll think about upgrading when the retrofit kit comes out.

Retrofit is out for the insulated hopper and ceramic igniter. The integrated fireboard has two probes (and they put a port in) and uses the same app. Loving it so far.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Those things look really nice. The firebox is in the middle instead of on the end so it should have much better performance as a grill. If I didn't have a pellet grill already I would be so hot for that thing.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i know. has a short auger plus gravity fed box and diverters...

gets to 600degrees in 15 minutes.

only thing i dislike is the min temp setting is 200. when i make bacon i do my smoke at 190 until the bacon is 155..

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
another update for my gmg jim bowie- damn ignitor went kaput again...granted i have used the thing a lot this year (gone thu like 180lbs of pellets) but it sucks when there is not any FIRE!!

just ordered 4 ignitors (13 bucks each) which should hopefully last me a year or two)
Yes, this is a year plus necro quote.

I just received a new igniter from GMG, this was the first part I have ever paid for and yeah only $13. I love that company, they are very helpful and they obviously are not gouging on part replacements.

Anyway, how easy was it to replace the igniter? How long did it take you?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
It takes about 5-10minutes. Under the hopper, unplug the igniter cord, pull it out of the fire pit/pot - might have to undo a screw to do this I forget, shove the new igniter down the tube until it is in the fire pit, plug it back in. Fire up grill to test. Done.

Latest igniter has lasted since that last repair- watch me jinx myself now- so it's been working great, though I have to vacuum the ashes out currently it has been a while since I did that.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i know. has a short auger plus gravity fed box and diverters...

gets to 600degrees in 15 minutes.

only thing i dislike is the min temp setting is 200. when i make bacon i do my smoke at 190 until the bacon is 155..

Min temp of 200 is pretty gay if youre into drying meats and smoking fish.

Also the casters look way to small, other then that it looks solid. I like weber.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
most pellet grills i think have a min temp of 150 or so, so 200 min is not awful per se, but it woulda been nice to have that extra 50degree range
traeger looks like the min is 165
mak grills (high end pellet grill) has a min setting of 200

put an insert in to elevate the meat and i bet you can get the temp@the meat to 150ish.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
most pellet grills i think have a min temp of 150 or so, so 200 min is not awful per se, but it woulda been nice to have that extra 50degree range
traeger looks like the min is 165
mak grills (high end pellet grill) has a min setting of 200

put an insert in to elevate the meat and i bet you can get the temp@the meat to 150ish.

Smoking at 150 is like sous vide with wood. Smoking at 200 is like “Well, I didn’t think this thing was going to make you happy anyway. Let’s get that divorce.”

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Whelp, Sam's Club had a sale of a Masterbuilt pellet smoker and then I went to their auction site and they were auctioning it off for even less. I ended up picking this thing up for a hair less than $175 after tax and shipped free.

I didn't want to drop $300+ on a pellet grill only to never use it, so I figured this would be a good intro to smoking and see if I do it enough to keep it up. Also will let me see if making ground beef or venison jerky on a smoker is worth doing.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Whelp, Sam's Club had a sale of a Masterbuilt pellet smoker and then I went to their auction site and they were auctioning it off for even less. I ended up picking this thing up for a hair less than $175 after tax and shipped free.

I didn't want to drop $300+ on a pellet grill only to never use it, so I figured this would be a good intro to smoking and see if I do it enough to keep it up. Also will let me see if making ground beef or venison jerky on a smoker is worth doing.
Smart purchase, make sure you like doing it first.

I smoked for roughly 10 years using one of these for ~$90

1580431224111.png

I didn't buy a "good smoker" until 5 or 6 years ago. Now I am considering buying a second GMG just so I can keep the Pizza Oven in year round.

• 1Like