Smokers / Grills

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So I bought a Yoder YS640 off a buddy of mine. Thing is, dude has had this thing in his garage unused for like three years and it's in need of some deep, deep cleaning and I am not sure other than elbow grease how to tackle this thing. I assume a good degreaser but a stiff bristle brush? Sos pads? I don't want to go ham with a hose and drench the electronics. Speaking of, the electronics still work on it when I plug it in but unsure if there are updates for it.

You won't regret it. I have a YS640 and the thing is a tank. I'm really happy with it. I don't think there's any way to update firmware in the older models, but I've never had any trouble with mine. You do need to unplug it between cooks though. I've been told it sort of loses its mind if it stays plugged in all the time. They do have a new controller which you can replace your current one with that has wifi and built in thermometers and logs your cooks and all that cool shit but it's $400.

Last edited:

Turkish

Caaaan do
Yoders and Traegers are beasts, but I had to go budget and picked up a Camp Chef SE new in the box from Offer Up for $260 and it has damn reliable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
if it works correctly, it will work correctly for a long time, the only thing is make sure the feed is moisture resistant from leaks etc
that is the one issue i have, high winds with rain can make water seep thru the feed drain slot (to remove pellets from the hopper)if i do not have the cover on the grill(and i leave the cover off A LOT).

other than that, the style of grill works GREAT, not great for searing food, but great for cooking food especially smoking the slow and low method,
i would recommend getting something like this in the size you actually need, they work great (i have to clean mine)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, maybe you guys can give me some guidance.

I want to pick up a grill/smoker now. But also know in around a year I'm going to retool my back yard and put in a more "outdoor kitchen"/patio action. Are any of these pellet grills capable of being mounted in an island rather than on a rolling cart? My optimal scenario would probably be something where I have both grill and smoking options, and then when I build the island I'll get a small propane burner separate to add on. (for things cooked in a pot, sauce, etc...)

Secondary, I love the idea of the pellet grill, love the "set and almost forget" level for long smoking. How far down the automation/technology rabbit hole have you guys gone with them? I have a buddy and his phone has an app monitoring the temp and everything and the BBQ Purist in me kinda wants to look down on him for it.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
cough cough...

for the pellet grill. i have an app by the company -green mountain grills- that tracks the current temp of both meat and grill, all of which can be online to track while not at home and doing a long cook- you can also adjust cooking temps on the fly, do cooking profiles etc. it is a good app.

also i have a visiongrill kamado grill
for that i have a bbq guru fan/temp controller (&130 ish)

ALSO for both:

2 of the thermoworks smoke thermometer & one smoke gateway to track cooks (gateway is not working atm :( -it won't setup properly anymore)

A thermoworks mk4 thermometer pen- GET ONE or two, they are awesome i use it to check all my meat temps.

i have a weber igrill3? thermometer, that has 4 sensors- works great though the bluetooth range is a bit weak.
this i setup in a nice wooden box that can contain the batteries and all the sensors inside the box, while i perm. attached the unit outside the box.

you should be able to mount a pellet grill no problem in a platform/island OR do like my parents did for their island, they left a grill "slot" in the island. so that if they needed to replace a grill they can just move it, slip in new grill, done.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I think I'd just leave a gap in the countertop for the grill myself.

I think all the pellet grills have the option of the remote monitoring now, but sort of like a smart TV, I think if I was buying one I would get it as simple as possible and then get the brains in the thermometer so if it breaks you still have the grill at least.

This is the thermometer I want to get. My buddy has one and he loves it.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I think I'd just leave a gap in the countertop for the grill myself.

I think all the pellet grills have the option of the remote monitoring now, but sort of like a smart TV, I think if I was buying one I would get it as simple as possible and then get the brains in the thermometer so if it breaks you still have the grill at least.

This is the thermometer I want to get. My buddy has one and he loves it.

this is what's on my yoder here's my last cook of ribs and a corned beef:

1586571439132.png

yoder integrated it so from my phone app or computer I can change temp ect, but they took it further, I can actually take over the augur and feed pellets - the computer is good though so I've never used this feature.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My current pellet grill is nice for the cheap price but the temperature has fluctuated one too many times. I can baby it to keep temp down but wtf is the point of a pellet grill if I have to do that.

Looking to get a Traeger. I’ve done some research and that seems to be the brand I want. Anyone have model suggestions.

price range is up to $1200 trump bucks

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Traeger or Yoder would be a good one to go with. Yoder's I think are a bit more expensive. My 640 is awesome and built like a tank, thing weighs like 400lbs. Usually has a 15 degree variance from what I set it at. I bought it used so might just need to reseal it, it's a older model build in like 2013.

Traegers I was looking at the bigger Ironwood model as there didn't seem to be enough of a major difference between that and the more expensive Timberlines. I would stay away from the Pro series though, they for whatever reason seem to have way more issues than the ironwood or timberlines.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
yoder is a bit out of your price range, the 480 starts at 1600 and goes up from there depending on options

trager, the ironwood 650 or the pro 780 are in your pricerange, the ironwood is 1200 pro is 1000

greenmountain grill jim bowie is about 900 and is the one i have.

the rectec 700 is 1200 and they are supposed to be good

also one you might want to look at is the WEBER smokefire ex6 is 1200 and the ex4 is 1000

the only issue with the webers are ...growing pains, since this is the first model, they need to revamp some issues esp with the hopper some due to a feed slope problem(ie pellets get stuck and do not slide into the feeder auger)

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Traeger or Yoder would be a good one to go with. Yoder's I think are a bit more expensive. My 640 is awesome and built like a tank, thing weighs like 400lbs. Usually has a 15 degree variance from what I set it at. I bought it used so might just need to reseal it, it's a older model build in like 2013.

Traegers I was looking at the bigger Ironwood model as there didn't seem to be enough of a major difference between that and the more expensive Timberlines. I would stay away from the Pro series though, they for whatever reason seem to have way more issues than the ironwood or timberlines.

yoders are quit a bit more but you get what you pay for - I don't regret going for my 640 at all, friggen love it

traegers seems to be everywhere now which makes me question if they've been keeping up the quality - my buddy has a gmg and it's worked great for him and I think they are made in usa

also if you're having temperature issues getting the thermal blanket accessory will help for wind and/or cold fucking with you

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The big thing you get with the Yoder is a lot of steel. The whole thing is made out of ¼" plate and I do think it makes a difference with temperature control, especially in cold weather. The first cook I did with mine it was literally 20 below zero out when I started it and it was able to hold a temperature all day long. I can't speak for treagers in this situation but my friend who has a propane smoker has to cover the thing with a welding blanket when it's cold out or his cooking time triples.

I also backed my pickup into it pretty hard once and there was zero damage.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
yoders are quit a bit more but you get what you pay for - I don't regret going for my 640 at all, friggen love it

traegers seems to be everywhere now which makes me question if they've been keeping up the quality - my buddy has a gmg and it's worked great for him and I think they are made in usa

also if you're having temperature issues getting the thermal blanket accessory will help for wind and/or cold fucking with you

Dude I know has a older GMG and used to be a dealer for them. From what I understand the old ones are made in USA but a few years back they started making them in China.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Dude I know has a older GMG and used to be a dealer for them. From what I understand the old ones are made in USA but a few years back they started making them in China.

of course they did, hopefully that changes soon

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm going with a Pit Boss 1100 I think for a pellet grill. Does more than the traegers, has more options (just missing the app which I have a good wifi probe anyway) and is half the price. Reviews are good, quality is there and above all else, it goes up to 500 degrees and can sear. I know someone who has one already and the thing is just awesome.

1590300094913.png

1590300205013.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm going with a Pit Boss 1100 I think for a pellet grill. Does more than the traegers, has more options (just missing the app which I have a good wifi probe anyway) and is half the price. Reviews are good, quality is there and above all else, it goes up to 500 degrees and can sear. I know someone who has one already and the thing is just awesome.

View attachment 272365
View attachment 272366

how is clean up?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
how is clean up?

hopper has a purge setting so when you wanna clean that out or switch pellets it’s pretty easy. The grates are ceramic so those are easy to clean too from what I’ve seen.

also a huge selling point, they have a 5year warranty on every single thing that’s on the grill. Longest in the industry.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
hopper has a purge setting so when you wanna clean that out or switch pellets it’s pretty easy. The grates are ceramic so those are easy to clean too from what I’ve seen.

also a huge selling point, they have a 5year warranty on every single thing that’s on the grill. Longest in the industry.
Can you explain more to me about the purge setting and also how often to clean the broiler and down inside (not grates).

I think the biggest issue I have had is the cleaning is a PITA down inside the bottom. I may pick this one up

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Purge setting gets all the pellets out of the hopper and the feeder for when you want to change flavors or clean it. Some don’t have this feature.

buddy says thing comes apart pretty easy to get down into broiler to clean. I informally don’t know the exacts as I haven’t picked it up yet either, I am this week.

watched Him use it a few times and after all the research I’ve done on it,all the real reviews donor are great and the two people I know who own the brand (one this specific model) swear by them And say their customer service is also great.