Smokers / Grills

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah they can. Check your local dealers.
My next grill once the gmg dies will be yoder or something equiv. Love the gmg except for when it rains water seeps into the hopper.
I have a canopy over mine, it makes a night and day difference when using it in the rain in terms of keeping temperatures and I’ve never had a seepage issue. It was $100 and a great investment, honestly.

Crone Crone as far as Yonder goes, they are great, heavy as shit (10 gauge steel as opposed to powder coated that most competition uses), quality, made in the USA grills. Their heat retention is good, the materials they use are good, heavy and quality. Hell the hood doors on them are so heavy they build counter weights on them to ensure they stay open upon opening them.

my issue is them is only this, really, and that’s they advertise a lifetime warranty
when it’s not. And their warranty is all over the place.

10 years on the main cooking chamber against burn through

3 years in the controller, motor and fans

3 years in the igniter

6 MONTHS on everything else.

I have no issues with their warranty lengths, but the wording over it is very deceptive and as a consumer, I can’t stand that type of thing.

Yonders also come with a variable damper on one side which allows you to regulate the heat on one side more easily without adjusting the actual temp, which is nice. They also have always used a ceramic igniter which means twice the start up speed and they last longer.

Yonders biggest problems are the digital tech they use for their apps. They aren’t as user friendly as say, Traeger’s and aren’t well suited to beginners. If you are experienced though and know what all the data that Yonders app is throwing at you (and it’s a lot) then you’re good to go...but for a casual, it can be overwhelming.

if you have the money, and don’t plan on moving it much (unless you go with their competition line which are easier to move but VASTLY more expensive) I’d recommend going with them. Just be aware of their warranty wording issues when diving in.

Hope this helped.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm gonna have to get a canopy because I live in the Pacific NW, and there is no way anything is staying dry without one. Will be a good investment, like you say as I can put a couple of chairs underneath it as well and sit out there bull shitting while stuff cooks or whatever. I'm extremely excited about not having to babysit shit while grilling.

I'm gonna go with the Traeger Pro 22, as the build quality seems decent from reviews compared to other similar smokers like from Pit Boss. Also, in my tiny town of 2k people, we have a Traeger dealer that's also a repair center. That's a huge draw given the 3-year warranty. I enjoy supporting local, and so that will be nice. If I smoke so much shit that my Traeger goes out on me after a while I'll consider the more expensive smokers or possibly bigger smokers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
you guys gonna smoke your turkeys?
Thought about it. I've got some family members that talked about how they had smoked turkey before but that the outside was so smoky that it was inedible, to them, but the inside of it was amazing. I suppose that's something you have to be careful of when smoking something for long periods of time, that the smoke flavor might get overpowering? Not sure how to adjust that or fix that?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I have a canopy over mine, it makes a night and day difference when using it in the rain in terms of keeping temperatures and I’ve never had a seepage issue. It was $100 and a great investment, honestly.

Crone Crone as far as Yonder goes, they are great, heavy as shit (10 gauge steel as opposed to powder coated that most competition uses), quality, made in the USA grills. Their heat retention is good, the materials they use are good, heavy and quality. Hell the hood doors on them are so heavy they build counter weights on them to ensure they stay open upon opening them.

my issue is them is only this, really, and that’s they advertise a lifetime warranty
when it’s not. And their warranty is all over the place.

10 years on the main cooking chamber against burn through

3 years in the controller, motor and fans

3 years in the igniter

6 MONTHS on everything else.

I have no issues with their warranty lengths, but the wording over it is very deceptive and as a consumer, I can’t stand that type of thing.

Yonders also come with a variable damper on one side which allows you to regulate the heat on one side more easily without adjusting the actual temp, which is nice. They also have always used a ceramic igniter which means twice the start up speed and they last longer.

Yonders biggest problems are the digital tech they use for their apps. They aren’t as user friendly as say, Traeger’s and aren’t well suited to beginners. If you are experienced though and know what all the data that Yonders app is throwing at you (and it’s a lot) then you’re good to go...but for a casual, it can be overwhelming.

if you have the money, and don’t plan on moving it much (unless you go with their competition line which are easier to move but VASTLY more expensive) I’d recommend going with them. Just be aware of their warranty wording issues when diving in.

Hope this helped.

As a yoder owner I have a number of gripes with your post. First of all, it's Yoder not Yonder. lol

As far as the warranty goes, it would be nice if everything was 100% covered forever, but it's not. Luckily, the way it's built, it's very easy to open it up to replace parts. Hell, you can buy and swap out a new ceramic igniter for 53 bucks. The fan is 30. Controller is a couple hundred it's rare they go out if you're even half way taking care of your investment (don't leave that shit in the rain).

As far as "their" app. It's not their app. They're partnered with fireboard, which is one of the premier smoker temp/alarm + app companies out there. Many grillers/smokers use their stuff and I found it incredibly easy to set up and use.

Last, if you pay extra for the competition cart (do it), it's very easy to move. If you're already spending 1800 bucks on a fucking 350lb pellet grill, spend the extra 600 so it looks baddass and you can easily move it around.

You want some real criticism of yoder? They don't include the diffuser with access door with the purchase, just a strait up piece of steel that you have to completely remove to clean out your firebox. I'd consider the diffuser with door a must buy and fuck them for not just including it.

As i've said a few times in this thread, if you use a pellet grill often (few times a week) and are in a position to be able to spend 2500 bucks on a cooking medium (middling gas ranges are over 2k btw), it's a no brainer.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thought about it. I've got some family members that talked about how they had smoked turkey before but that the outside was so smoky that it was inedible, to them, but the inside of it was amazing. I suppose that's something you have to be careful of when smoking something for long periods of time, that the smoke flavor might get overpowering? Not sure how to adjust that or fix that?
i believe it has to do with the "skin" as most of the stuff you guys do is just the raw muscle/slab

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
As a yoder owner I have a number of gripes with your post. First of all, it's Yoder not Yonder. lol

As far as the warranty goes, it would be nice if everything was 100% covered forever, but it's not. Luckily, the way it's built, it's very easy to open it up to replace parts. Hell, you can buy and swap out a new ceramic igniter for 53 bucks. The fan is 30. Controller is a couple hundred it's rare they go out if you're even half way taking care of your investment (don't leave that shit in the rain).

As far as "their" app. It's not their app. They're partnered with fireboard, which is one of the premier smoker temp/alarm + app companies out there. Many grillers/smokers use their stuff and I found it incredibly easy to set up and use.

Last, if you pay extra for the competition cart (do it), it's very easy to move. If you're already spending 1800 bucks on a fucking 350lb pellet grill, spend the extra 600 so it looks baddass and you can easily move it around.

You want some real criticism of yoder? They don't include the diffuser with access door with the purchase, just a strait up piece of steel that you have to completely remove to clean out your firebox. I'd consider the diffuser with door a must buy and fuck them for not just including it.

As i've said a few times in this thread, if you use a pellet grill often (few times a week) and are in a position to be able to spend 2500 bucks on a cooking medium (middling gas ranges are over 2k btw), it's a no brainer.

I spoke my post out for voice to text, so my apologies for misspelling the meme of a grill you are such a huge fan of.

I have no issues with Yoder’s warranty as I typed out. My issue is in their “about” section they literally say their smokers are build to last a lifetime and that’s how long they guarantee them against burnout, but in fact, they only do so for 10 years. It’s misleading, and I don’t like it and it’s come under scrutiny recently as well.

I have no problem with their app personally, but for a novice it can be overwhelming. I know this because of countless feedback I combed through before I purchased mine. (I own a pitboss, a Yoder and a mini Traeger for camping.)

I agree with you in the competition cart, that’s why I brought it up.

The diffuser door I’m not being included is a pain for sure but for $170 you can get one, though it’s BS it doesn’t come standard.

anyway, I recommended the grill, I’m not sure why you’re upset. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

I’m going to do one next weekend I think. I have two large ones sitting in my freezer right now, I’ve done every other bird you can think of except a turkey so I figure may as well.

what we won’t eat that night I’ll vacuum seal for the wife to make her pot pie that she makes an awesome version of.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I spoke my post out for voice to text, so my apologies for misspelling the meme of a grill you are such a huge fan of.

I have no issues with Yoder’s warranty as I typed out. My issue is in their “about” section they literally say their smokers are build to last a lifetime and that’s how long they guarantee them against burnout, but in fact, they only do so for 10 years. It’s misleading, and I don’t like it and it’s come under scrutiny recently as well.

I have no problem with their app personally, but for a novice it can be overwhelming. I know this because of countless feedback I combed through before I purchased mine. (I own a pitboss, a Yoder and a mini Traeger for camping.)

I agree with you in the competition cart, that’s why I brought it up.

The diffuser door I’m not being included is a pain for sure but for $170 you can get one, though it’s BS it doesn’t come standard.

anyway, I recommended the grill, I’m not sure why you’re upset. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wasn't upset, just adding my two cent disagreements to some of the issues you had.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
10 gauge steel

It's not 10 gauge, it's 1/4", which is twice as thick as 10 gauge.

With regard to the competition cart, I agree it looks cool, but the standard wheels are actually very good too. Much better than the ones on my Weber gas grill. I haven't had any issues moving mine, even on grass.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's not 10 gauge, it's 1/4", which is twice as thick as 10 gauge.

With regard to the competition cart, I agree it looks cool, but the standard wheels are actually very good too. Much better than the ones on my Weber gas grill. I haven't had any issues moving mine, even on grass.
The cooking body is 10gauge and everything else is 14.
00D1FE10-4F56-40B0-867B-A3F0A2FD2399.jpeg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hmm, you're right. I guess I've been looking at the 1/4" on the handle but the actual box is thinner.

123183466_1036417610192302_7325180424636292453_n.jpg

Still more than twice as thick as most other grills though.

• 1Like

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm

I smoked a turkey last year for my wife's family. Someone on her side usually oven bakes the turkey. Not saying it tastes like shit but an oven baked turkey is ruined once you have had a properly fried turkey or smoked turkey.

I have a GMG so I prepped the turkey that night and thought I was going to go to bed and wake up to put it on. Ended up getting shit hammered and playing video games until 2AM so I just put it on before I passed out. It was ready by 11AM or so when the wife's family got here and they all thoroughly enjoyed it. I am not a turkey guy but it was good - still prefer fried turkey.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I have smoked a turkey, it came out great, amazingribs.com has a great thin gravy/au jus recipe I used , but I prefer my cider brined and glazed turkey in the oven. I might try doing it this year in the Gmg SO I HAVE smoked and favorite recipe at same time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
picked up a 300$ zgrill pellet, cyber monday, i still have an extra 20lb frozen turkey i guess i'll try to smoke.

i also bought gasket tape to keep the smoke in

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I'm thinking of giving up on my GMG and getting a Rec Tec. I've had the GMG since February and have just had too many problems with it. Just about every time I reach out to their customer service they ask me to take pictures and want to readjust the heat reflector. Shouldn't be this tough to get a grill to work consistently.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Smoked turkey is meh. Go straight for ribs

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
also bought this gasket to drill into it for more probes
0becbdb851bc4bd18107765864459d5e.png

sounds like ppl really love modifying their pellet grills, my next mod will be a latch for the door if it's not heavy enough and the smoke still leaks out. i didn't even get it yet lulz