Smokers / Grills

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
frankly, you’ll want to invest in a separate WiFi probe anyway. The built in ones are okay but they aren’t as precise and will offer more options.

if warranties are important, pit boss offers a 5 year everything is covered warranty which is the best out there. Also importantly you can sear easily in it. Something many pellets don’t let you.
I havent had an issue with mine (Traeger). You can even adjust the temp setting on the probe (+/-) to match a 3rd party probe. REC TEC offers a 6 year warranty.....

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Looking at REC TEC and Pit Boss I've got my eye on these two:

The REC TEC has some more features, such as the wifi, but that's a pretty big price gap there - $600 vs $350. Does the REC TEC build quality justify that kind of premium?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I know 4 people with Rec Tecs who have either sold them or returned the to get Traegers or Pit Bosses. It’s why I didn’t go with them. Two of them were due to control board issues, one rusted out in 6 months (it was pretty crazy) and the other went through three feed augers before they said enough was enough. He was able to use his grill for a few weeks in the half a year he had it. Three of them came from the same location so maybe it was on how they handled and stored them, I dunno.

Traeger may have improved theirs in recent times, they went through a stint where their manufacturing was pretty garbage. They’ve changed a lot up in the last year. To me though it’s still not worth the price difference.

while I wouldn’t get one now, I think Z Grills may be a brand to watch in the future. They manufacture a lot of parts for Traeger, Pit Boss and Rec Tec and decided to start making their own grills too.

another brand to look into which I don’t see mentioned here ever to my memory is Camp Chef. Their stuff is always well reviewed.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

The REC TEC has some more features, such as the wifi, but that's a pretty big price gap there - $600 vs $350. Does the REC TEC build quality justify that kind of premium?

you linked the same grill twice my dude. ;)

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Of the two you linked I’d go with the Rec Tec honestly. Hopper size is important and having a 5lb hopper, in my opinion, would suck.

plus if portability is important the Rec Tec compacts down for easy transport. The WiFi seems important to you (I’ll be buried with my MEATER brand probes personally) So it seems to fit what you’re more wanting to do.

I’d avoid buying them from Dicks and buy directly, would be my only advice.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider

See and I would have the oppoiste feedback. I have two buddies who smoke daily and have been though almost every brand of smoker and will never go back after using their REC TEC. As far as price gap, based on the options I am looking at from a 700 to 800 sqin model the RECTECT beats out Traeger with space, stainless steel grates and insulation of the model. The REC TEC also has better feedback on holding temperature versus Traeger. Ultimately it probably comes down to your price point and what your looking to spend for features and benefits.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Parachuting in here. I just got
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JYQBQG5

and love it. Easiest grilling ever. No hot spots or flare ups.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Parachuting in here. I just got
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JYQBQG5

and love it. Easiest grilling ever. No hot spots or flare ups.

my dad just got an infrared as an early Fathers Day gift at the beginning of the month and he really digs it. My only issue it I like flare ups when I want them to happen.

when I cooked on it though it was indeed nice and the heat was even all throughout.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Do you find there's any value in the wifi features?
while i detest extra electronics in appliances, i enjoy the wifi in my anova... whats crazy is i probably should get it sync'd up to alexa, but it's nice to be in the bedroom and think "oh yea, i wonder how my food be cooking"

(cuz actually the anova auto shuts off cuz of low water and i ain't cooking, so in that sense, yea it's useful, probably the same for a grill as well, you'll see why your temps are low and figure out you forgot to reload the pellets)

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Of the two you linked I’d go with the Rec Tec honestly. Hopper size is important and having a 5lb hopper, in my opinion, would suck.

plus if portability is important the Rec Tec compacts down for easy transport. The WiFi seems important to you (I’ll be buried with my MEATER brand probes personally) So it seems to fit what you’re more wanting to do.

I’d avoid buying them from Dicks and buy directly, would be my only advice.
agree on the hopper size, anything less then a capacity of a 20pound bag would be difficult to cook especially on something that takes 5-6 hours or longer.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
my dad just got an infrared as an early Fathers Day gift at the beginning of the month and he really digs it. My only issue it I like flare ups when I want them to happen.

when I cooked on it though it was indeed nice and the heat was even all throughout.
For sure. The grill comes with 3 infrared grill plates, I've wondered how hard it'd be to replace one with a normal grill surface so I could get those flare ups to give some char to what I'm cooking.

I got so tired of babysitting my grill before that would erupt into flame everytime I thought about putting anything leaner than chicken breast on it.

Zitar

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have had a Rec-Tec for ~2 years now, RT-590. Been solid with the only complaint being that the built-in meat temp probes aren't accurate. They are always about 10 degrees over. It still looks great and has held up very well in the AZ heat. Use it twice a week year-round without any maintenance other than cleaning it and removing ash.

The 30 lbs hopper is amazing. You will underestimate how much you will go through. The most important feature IMO is a large hopper.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have had a Rec-Tec for ~2 years now, RT-590. Been solid with the only complaint being that the built-in meat temp probes aren't accurate. They are always about 10 degrees over. It still looks great and has held up very well in the AZ heat. Use it twice a week year-round without any maintenance other than cleaning it and removing ash.

The 30 lbs hopper is amazing. You will underestimate how much you will go through. The most important feature IMO is a large hopper.
I am in AZ too and the Traeger probe isnt all that accurate either. It does come with an adjustment setting to recalibrate it on each cook. I also keep a high end insta read by me for back up. My two buddies have the RECTEC 700 and have noticed a huge improvement with heat/temp management in AZ versus their Traeger along with the 40lbs hopper is a plus!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
if anyone uses a pellet grill a ton, like as much as or more than your oven, you should honestly invest in a ys640.

it will be 2-3000 (if you will ever be moving it around you must get the competition cart), but you can explain it to your wife by comparing it to a new indoor range, which any decent one will be around 3000 or more. it seems like a lot but it's really not if it's a primary cooking device

Khane

Got something right about marriage
r/lifehacks

"Also, aside from the baby monitor there is a pool right next to our ELECTRIC smoker"

Nola

Trakanon Raider
so when grilling outside, wifi is a good idea
$20.00 from Wal-mart. I can bring the LCD monitor inside my house and it will alarm to let me know when the meat is at the desired temp. The range is excellent that I can go upstairs and still have a good signal.

a6c32373-a8cc-490d-9442-dec58a3ddbb8_1.60b4eaafb9fbc996dc7b78ae3c797c23.jpeg